Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

family requirements with my work permit ?

family requirements with my work permit ?

Old May 15th 2007, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

wizaird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default family requirements with my work permit ?

Hi folks i am currently having my PR visa processed however i have been in touch with my future employer and we are going along the Work Permit route as well to give us more control of when we go as he is keen to set me on .We will continue with the PR visa and finalize it when the time comes.

My question is this , when i receive the LMO i am told it will be quicker for me to apply for WP at the point of entry , namely Halifax .This will take roughly around 6 weeks to come through.What will my family require in order for them to continue a normal day to day life in Canada.Surely they would need something along the lines of a visitors visa , as the WP lasts for upto 2 years.
walso have a 15 year old son who would be attending school there , i have emailed the education dept , but they have got back to me yet

Thanks Dave
Old May 15th 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: family requirements with my work permit ?

Originally Posted by wizaird
My question is this , when i receive the LMO i am told it will be quicker for me to apply for WP at the point of entry , namely Halifax.

My OH did this via Calgary in Feb no problems at all and takes out all of the London wait which I now believe is about 3 months for a WP

This will take roughly around 6 weeks to come through.

Have you posted your timeline on the LMO thread by gleech ? It's a good idea to do so to give others an idea of how long they are taking

What will my family require in order for them to continue a normal day to day life in Canada.Surely they would need something along the lines of a visitors visa , as the WP lasts for upto 2 years.

If you havent had your LMO back yet how do you know that it will be for 2 year ? Thought this was HRDSC decision ?

If your occupations is class O A or B then your OH can apply for a SOWPCheck out there where you stand.

If kids are school age check the local provincial rules on study Permits for the kids - if the province doesnt require you to have Study Permits they will just need visitor permits through your WP

walso have a 15 year old son who would be attending school there , i have emailed the education dept , but they have got back to me yet

See above - but did you try ringing them ? Silly question but that is what I did. The rules in Alberta where I am going have changed in the last few years so I would ring and check it out. When all said and done it is only the cost of a phone call and puts your mind at rest.
Thanks Dave
Hope this helps Dave

Gaynor
x
Old May 15th 2007, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

wizaird is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: family requirements with my work permit ?

Thanks for the info Gaynor , as for the work permit and lasting upto 2 years , i am basing this on what i have been informed .Im not sure how long the WP will be for but who knows hopefully by August / Sept 07 the PPR will be complete or nearing the end .We just want to be in control of the timeline for when we move and if that means a work permit for a few months until sorted out then fine.

The lmo is being pursued at the moment with the employer .We also have animals to take with us and our house to sell (beating the HIPS fiasco )so we have a lot to do over the next few months .Im presuming that if the PPR isnt complete by the time we go that it can be finalised in Canada without returning to the Canadian embassy in the Uk .I will also be sending the Embassy a copy of my jobe offer and LMO when i recieve them to help our case.Is there anything here i need to know about or do i just forward them on to them?

many thanks Dave
Old May 15th 2007, 7:15 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: family requirements with my work permit ?

We landed in NS in Jan. Check out our timeline on my profile.

Although we applied for PR in Aug 05 we came in under Mr Y-C-Do's WP (open WP for me and 2 study visas for kids - recommended by our consultant). Don't know if it was compulsory for kids to get study permits but we applied for them all at the same time from the UK and showed them at school when registering the kids.

You don't actually get sent permits in the post. You receive a letter from CHC which you show to Immigration when you land. They then issue your permits and staple them to your passport.

We got our permits stamped til Dec 2009 (3 years), except my husband (the one who has the job!) because his passport expires in June 2008 and the WP cannot exceed the time left on his passport. If our PR hasn't come through before his WP expires then we simply renew it (will have to renew his passport anyway) .