Family class visa

Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

leedsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family class visa

Hello everyone.

I am hoping someone can clarify my confusion on the Family Class visa.

I have been hoping that my brother (candian citizen) will be able to sponsor me (I am 30yrs old) using this route, but am confused as I find the info on the CIC site contradicting:

Info on "Who can be sponsored" states:

You can sponsor:

* parents
* grandparents
* brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
* another relative of any age or relationship if none of the above relatives could be sponsored, and you have no other relatives who are Canadian citizens, persons registered as Indians under the Indian Act or permanent residents

[COLOR="Black"]Then again in the "Who cannot be sponsored" section it says:

Who cannot be sponsored:

Other relatives, such as brothers and sisters over 18, or adult independent children cannot be sponsored.

See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ho.asp#who_can

Am I missing something or am right in thinking the information is contradicting itself??

Can my brother sponsor me or not?

thanks in advance!

Last edited by leedsman; Sep 25th 2008 at 8:21 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:40 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family class visa

The by far most likely answer is no. You would get a 5 point bonus in a SW selection if he is in Canada as a PR or citizen. He may be more helpful in getting you into a provincial selection program.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 6:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

From what I can gather, it means that he cannot sponsor you unless there is absolutely nobody else that he could sponsor (i.e. you are his only family). Does he have parents, grandparents, or nephews or nieces who fit the criteria? If the answer is yes (regardless of if they want to move to Canada or to be sponsored or not) then he cannot sponsor you.

However, there are a couple of provinces that have Family Stream PNP categories, where does he live?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:59 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Also if he has close relative in Canada he can't sponsor you. What you read and quoted from CIC website is not the law. The rules are here:

http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2002-227/sec117.html

and they state:

(h) a relative of the sponsor, regardless of age, if the sponsor does not have a spouse, a common-law partner, a conjugal partner, a child, a mother or father, a relative who is a child of that mother or father, a relative who is a child of a child of that mother or father, a mother or father of that mother or father or a relative who is a child of the mother or father of that mother or father

(i) who is a Canadian citizen, Indian or permanent resident, or

(ii) whose application to enter and remain in Canada as a permanent resident the sponsor may otherwise sponsor.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

leedsman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the responses...you have managed to clarify my doubts.
Right then so I can't use this route...then SWP (which is obviously pointless from reading other posts) is an option but I guess best way is going to be for me to start looking for someone to employ me there now!

cheers!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

newfiegurl is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by leedsman
Thanks everyone for the responses...you have managed to clarify my doubts.
Right then so I can't use this route...then SWP (which is obviously pointless from reading other posts) is an option but I guess best way is going to be for me to start looking for someone to employ me there now!

cheers!
What is your occupation? The place I work gives out work permits pretty easily as long as you have the skills to do the job that's in demand here.