Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Family Class Sponsorship Info wanted

Wikiposts

Family Class Sponsorship Info wanted

Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

marcwales is on a distinguished road
Default Family Class Sponsorship Info wanted

Hi all.
Looking for some info on Family Sponsorship to Canada (Ontario). My wife is a UK born canadian citizen (for approx 30 years). We live in UK and been married for 10 years.
I called an Immigration Expert in London (UK!) and discussed our situation. He said it should be straight forward, but was charging £1200.
I was wondering how difficult it would be to do on our own. I've looked on the Canadian Government website which, although comprehensive, doesn't give you the opportunity to discuss/check the best approach. Nothing like the human touch, eh?
I want to know things like:-
1) Can we do all the application process from UK?
2) Can I get the right to work and remain living here for a while (like keep
it as a backup option), or do I have to give a landing date and be there
exactly.

Thanks for any help!!!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Class Sponsorship Info wanted

Originally Posted by marcwales
Hi all.
Looking for some info on Family Sponsorship to Canada (Ontario). My wife is a UK born canadian citizen (for approx 30 years). We live in UK and been married for 10 years.
I called an Immigration Expert in London (UK!) and discussed our situation. He said it should be straight forward, but was charging £1200.
I was wondering how difficult it would be to do on our own. I've looked on the Canadian Government website which, although comprehensive, doesn't give you the opportunity to discuss/check the best approach. Nothing like the human touch, eh?
exactly.

Thanks for any help!!!
A quick search would of provided you with all the answers you needed, as would a look at the wiki.

You can do the whole application yourself, you would complete whats called an 'outland' via London application. You can complete it either in Canada or the UK, it is all sent to to Mississauga in Canada then forwarded onto London afterwards. It is done in 2 stages, sponsorship (takes place in Canada) and then PR (London, UK).

You can stay in the UK working while it is being completed, you do not need to provide a landing date. If you did want to work in Canada (you decided to move there) and your application was still in process you would need either a LMO or an IEC visa to work. Alternatively you coudl stay in Canada as a visitor, just you wouldnt be able to work.

A few notes about the application process.

-It costs $1040.
-Takes on average 5-8 months for both stages (the CIC website states longer than this)
-You need police checks for each country you have lived in for 6 months of longer since turning 18
-You will need to complete a full medical, this accompanies the application you send
-It is alot of paperwork, but provided you have the time, there is no reason to pay someone to do it for you. (i.e lawyer/immigration service)

Last edited by exenglishman; Jul 18th 2012 at 7:43 am.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Hi all.
exactly.

Thanks for any help!!!
Hi Marc and welcome to the forum.

I did the family sponsorship process. As mentioned above its a two stage process.
I did the process through a lawyer and spent A LOT of money. It transcended I could have done it all myself for next to nothing. I personally would not recommend a immigration expert as much of the information can be found on this forum or on the CIC website for FREE.

in answer to your questions.
1. You can do all the application process from the UK.
2. Until your application is completed, your still a British (foreign national to the Canadians) national and the same rules apply. You would have to get a working visa should you want to work in Canada.
But once your immigration/family sponsorship application is complete and you will get a landing letter. It is valid 12months from when you had your medical. For example. I had my medical in May this year and I received my COPR in July. I have to land before May next year.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

marcwales is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys.
Tony, you mention about a landing date. What happens if you don't land in that time? Is your application effectively null and void then?
What I wanted to do was get my paperwork in place as a back up in case my job here falls through. However, we may not be pushed in that time. Whats the rules around getting the "right to work" in Canada, as oppose to PR?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Hey Marc,

If you don't land then that is pretty much it. Its null and you have to do it all over again. But you can leave and come back. i.e go do your landing and come back. But over a set period of time you must have lived in Canada a set number of days(I can't remember, im sure someone else can add on here).

As for working in Canada, there are a couple of routes. Here is a wiki link that may help: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tempor...Permits-Canada
Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger
But over a set period of time you must have lived in Canada a set number of days(I can't remember, im sure someone else can add on here).
Nope, not in the OP's case - as long as he's living with his Canadian spouse, he wouldn't lose his PR. For normal folks though, they must spent 2 years out of every 5 in Canada to maintain their PR status.

Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Nope, not in the OP's case - as long as he's living with his Canadian spouse, he wouldn't lose his PR. For normal folks though, they must spent 2 years out of every 5 in Canada to maintain their PR status.

Blimey... I guess one learns something new every day...
Old Jul 19th 2012, 6:39 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.
exactly.

Thanks for any help!!!
I believe that CIC will want evidence that you will move to Canada to set up home once your PR is approved.