Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Family Class Immigration - both living in England

Family Class Immigration - both living in England

Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Nikie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family Class Immigration - both living in England

Hi

My Canadian boyfriend and I have been together for 2.5 yrs and have now been living together continually for the last year in England (he has a British passport too).

We are in the first stages of making a Family Class application for PR. We are already a little confused. All the instructions on the CIC website are for when the sponsor is in Canada and the person being sponsored elsewhere.

Do we use the same forms and processes if we are both in England?

I went for my medical on Tuesday and was told I was supposed to have made the application before the medical. I told her I was applying under family class but she still insisted I needed to make the application first. I think she was mistaken. I understood that I go for the medical and then use the completed Medical Report as part of my immigrant application.

We are planning on making the application without the use of an Immigration Expert - is this wise? What are people's experiences with the process? Would we be wiser to get professional help or do you thin the procedure is stright-forward enough to manage on our own?

ANy other tips/advice for this type of application?

Many thanks for any advice given!!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

KHutchison is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Family Class Immigration - both living in England

Originally Posted by Nikie
Hi

My Canadian boyfriend and I have been together for 2.5 yrs and have now been living together continually for the last year in England (he has a British passport too).

We are in the first stages of making a Family Class application for PR. We are already a little confused. All the instructions on the CIC website are for when the sponsor is in Canada and the person being sponsored elsewhere.

I went for my medical on Tuesday and was told I was supposed to have made the application before the medical. I told her I was applying under family class but she still insisted I needed to make the application first. I think she was mistaken. I understood that I go for the medical and then use the completed Medical Report as part of my immigrant application.

We are planning on making the application without the use of an Immigration Expert - is this wise? What are people's experiences with the process? Would we be wiser to get professional help or do you thin the procedure is stright-forward enough to manage on our own?

We are in the process of applying for a family class / spousal visa application. We are in the same position as you - my wife is Canadian and lives with me here in Scotland. I think you can get all the forms you need at this site:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applica...u-outside.html

It is not advisable for you to get the medical until the last possible moment - yes, you need the proof of medical to send with your application, but the results are only valid for 1 year. So it is better to get all the forms filled in, get all the documentary evidence that your relationship is genuine etc, then get the medical. It does seem daunting at first, but take it slow and approach each form, one question at a time. If you're not sure about anything just ask here - there are experts who can help you.
Hope this is a wee bit of help.
P.S. - we filled in the forms ourselves without using an immigration consultant and I think we managed okay (unless our application arrives back on our doorstep!)
Kev.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

KHutchison is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KHutchison
We are in the process of applying for a family class / spousal visa application. We are in the same position as you - my wife is Canadian and lives with me here in Scotland. I think you can get all the forms you need at this site:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applica...u-outside.html

It is not advisable for you to get the medical until the last possible moment - yes, you need the proof of medical to send with your application, but the results are only valid for 1 year. So it is better to get all the forms filled in, get all the documentary evidence that your relationship is genuine etc, then get the medical. It does seem daunting at first, but take it slow and approach each form, one question at a time. If you're not sure about anything just ask here - there are experts who can help you.
Hope this is a wee bit of help.
P.S. - we filled in the forms ourselves without using an immigration consultant and I think we managed okay (unless our application arrives back on our doorstep!)
Kev.

Some further information with regards to the medical. How it worked with me was, I went for an X-ray about a week before the medical so that the radiologist could write a report and send it to the medical practice where I was getting the medical done. The doctor will not carry out the medical unless the radiologist report has been received. There is a form to fill in which you take to the medical - the form is available on the website link I gave you. Once the medical has been done, the doctor gives you a form which you then include with your application.
Regards,
Kev.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

But many places have an on-site Xray facility so you don't need to bother about getting it done upfront. Another thing to check when ringing around for prices.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

nickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the rough

hey we're applying from the uk as well and i understood that my husband has his med and xray then you send the forms in. in our case we are traveling up to london and having both the same day med apt is first then the xray when i booked the apt the girl just advised me that he has to have xrays as well she never said in which order. as far as the forms there should be a link on the web site for applying from out of canada. but you have to look hard as we found nothing is crystal and i've found this forum very helpful. good luck
Old Jun 16th 2005, 7:07 pm
It's a Barbie world

Indigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really nice

My husband and I were in the same situation, we lived as a family together in England with the children, so his "family class" application went to London UK, but I wasn't in Canada yet. That's OK.

I don't know what that lady was thinking at the immigration office when she told you to send your application without your medical forms - as far as I remember my husband needed to include the medical with the application AND the fee of course.

But your landing date is based on the medical date, not the resident approval date (which is stupid). His application was approved in November, but we had to leave England in March for his one year medical cut-off date. Doesn't make sense to me, but that's the rule...

My husband became a bit of an expert by the end of it all - so ask any questions and we'll try to be helpful.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Nikie
Hi

Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Nikie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for your help and advice. I spoke to the doctor directly and he confirmed the Admin lady had been incorrect and sent me away by mistake. Have booked another appointment but am now thinking we should get all the form and documents together before the medical - however, we do have most things organised already - so we will see. As soon as I come across more questions - I am sure to post them!

Thanks again for your help. Feel alot better about the whole process now knowing I have someone to fire questions at!!!