Wikiposts

Fact Finding trip

Old Feb 5th 2005, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

achak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fact Finding trip

We are one of those strange families that applied for PR before visiting the Canada. We have now booked our first flights to Toronto for May this year. Can anybody recommend any cheap and cheerful, family friendly hotels? Or even better an apartment..We don't really have an area in mind but we will be hiring a car it doesn't have to be right in a town.

Also I havn't a clue what the weather will be like in early May..

Thanks

Angela

Last edited by achak; Feb 5th 2005 at 7:50 am.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 7:31 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fact Finding trip

Originally Posted by achak
I havn't a clue what the weather will be like in early May..
Me neither and I've been here 7 years now! Lets just say it could be anything from a late snowfall to an early heatwave!
Old Feb 5th 2005, 10:14 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
Me neither and I've been here 7 years now! Lets just say it could be anything from a late snowfall to an early heatwave!
Try somewhere north of Toronto, Markham, Richmond Hill are nice areas with good connection to downtown and godd for a trip up north.

P.S.:I like your new signature Iaink, a lot less geeky than the last one plus it gives you some legal protection
Old Feb 6th 2005, 3:33 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Achak - we too are strange in that case....did all the research, figured out the 'why' question, debated and reflected on things, chose Canada, applied for PR.

Only visited twice since then both in past 6 months - no shocks, no nasty surprises and yes, that warm fuzzy feeling that comes with thinking and hoping and dreaming that it can work out well and that we'd be happy and comfortable in our new homeland.

Hope you get chance to visit before you land there, it is important IMHO and makes a big difference, even to the point where it can help remove any concerns, or at least identify any areas of concern. So, if you get chance, would recommend a visit, consider it an investment in the whole process.

Good luck !

Rich/Nick

(Another strange lot).
Old Feb 6th 2005, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Rich/Nick

It's nice to know we are not the only weird ones out there...Have you got family/friends in Canada as we don't know a soul but we know that it is going to be right for us. I guess we will find out we go exploring in May..

How did you manage to get yourself a job offer? I am very nosey....

Angela

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Achak - we too are strange in that case....did all the research, figured out the 'why' question, debated and reflected on things, chose Canada, applied for PR.

Only visited twice since then both in past 6 months - no shocks, no nasty surprises and yes, that warm fuzzy feeling that comes with thinking and hoping and dreaming that it can work out well and that we'd be happy and comfortable in our new homeland.

Hope you get chance to visit before you land there, it is important IMHO and makes a big difference, even to the point where it can help remove any concerns, or at least identify any areas of concern. So, if you get chance, would recommend a visit, consider it an investment in the whole process.

Good luck !

Rich/Nick

(Another strange lot).
Old Feb 6th 2005, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough

Angela,
May should be ok, it can be pretty warm and I shouldn't worry about any snow or freezing temperatures.
Don't know about cheap places to stay in To though. I would avoid downtown and airport areas. It is my experience that the smaller, private owned , hotels/motels are the cheapest and most of the time the nicest places to stay.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Julius for replying to my post. It is good to know. it shouldn't be that cold.

Angela

Originally Posted by juliusmaximus
Angela,
May should be ok, it can be pretty warm and I shouldn't worry about any snow or freezing temperatures.
Don't know about cheap places to stay in To though. I would avoid downtown and airport areas. It is my experience that the smaller, private owned , hotels/motels are the cheapest and most of the time the nicest places to stay.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 8:15 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Distinctly remember waking up to 4 inches of snow with half an inch of freezing rain on top in Early May 2003. It can happen. Doesnt happen very often, but it can.

You cant really judge by the stats, as its just as likely to be 20 or 25°+C in early may, so average temps dont tell you anything about what to expect. Best be prepared.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 6th 2005 at 8:20 am.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Iain, I shall pack the kids moon boots just in case...

Angela

Distinctly remember 4 inches of snow with half an inch of freezing rain on top in Early May 2003. It can happen. Doesnt happen very often, but it can.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough

Distinctly remember waking up to 4 inches of snow with half an inch of freezing rain on top in Early May 2003. It can happen. Doesnt happen very often, but it can.

You cant really judge by the stats, as its just as likely to be 20 or 25°+C in early may, so average temps dont tell you anything about what to expect. Best be prepared.
Average temps are like average processing times
Can be 10 months...can be 30 months.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 7:14 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

[QUOTE=juliusmaximus]Average temps are like average processing times
Can be 10 months...can be 30 months.
[QUOTE]

Bad example, did you have to remind us
Old Feb 6th 2005, 8:06 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

No - no friends/family over there. Just always had ambitions to move overseas and Canada did it for us. Have met a few people through travelling and other methods and found much inspiration from them and their experiences,a s well as much good advice from all points as well as on this forum.

Nicky is a nurse so had to go through the hoops to get registered in BC but once that was done, it was a case of the agency targeting the most suitable employer and first interview-job offer. A one hour informal tele interview.

Job offer came through last week formally but have had confirmation for a month now, needs to go to HRDC for approval then work permits applied for.

Job wasn't where we were expecting to go to, but worked out just fine for us in the end. Top tip - flexibility works well with this emigration process.

Expecting to be there late spring summer (small matter of house to sell first) but will expect to be there before PR is received.

Good luck.

Rich.

Originally Posted by achak
Thanks for that Rich/Nick

It's nice to know we are not the only weird ones out there...Have you got family/friends in Canada as we don't know a soul but we know that it is going to be right for us. I guess we will find out we go exploring in May..

How did you manage to get yourself a job offer? I am very nosey....

Angela
Old Feb 6th 2005, 8:13 pm
It's a Barbie world

Indigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really nice

Hi, I'd suggest waiting for Spring (April-ish), it's miserable getting around TO in the deepest Winter. I'd try West Toronto (near Bloor West Village) for renting, you can get something reasonable and it's got train/subway/bus connections into Downtown. Or try further out west in my opinion, like Etobicoke. Good luck!