Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Extra adaptability points for spouse

Extra adaptability points for spouse

Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

skippy2107 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extra adaptability points for spouse

I am pretty sure that the partner or spouse of the main applicant on a skilled worker visa can get extra points for speaking both french and english?

I have just looked the cic website and it doesn't ask about the partner's language skills.

I'm also sure that both the main applicant and their spouse need to take both an english and fernch test prior to their visa application which makes sense to me.

Any ideas? Thank you
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extra adaptability points for spouse

Originally Posted by skippy2107
I am pretty sure that the partner or spouse of the main applicant on a skilled worker visa can get extra points for speaking both french and english?

I have just looked the cic website and it doesn't ask about the partner's language skills.

I'm also sure that both the main applicant and their spouse need to take both an english and fernch test prior to their visa application which makes sense to me.

Any ideas? Thank you
Nope, only the principal applicant gets points for language ability.

No French test is required unless claiming points for French ability, but an IELTS is now compulsory for everybody - although only the principal applicant needs to take the test(s).

HTH.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

skippy2107 is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent. Thank you.

So why do some of these visa eligibility websites state that extra points are awarded for a spouse's language ability?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skippy2107
So why do some of these visa eligibility websites state that extra points are awarded for a spouse's language ability?
Not a clue! You can claim points for a spouse's adaptability, but it's for things like education, a relative in Canada or previous work experience in Canada, not language ability.

Don't trust any website unless it's the CIC one, you can take the official self-assessment test on the CIC website here - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...sess/index.asp

And here is the link to the CIC website section about what you can claim points for adaptability for - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...aptability.asp