Extending a visa, please help!!!

Old Sep 19th 2001, 8:52 am
Pete

Hello, everyone

I have a couple of questions regarding the extension of a visitors visa.

This is my situation, I'm a Canadian citizen an I am planning on getting married to
my girlfriend once she gets to Canada.(from Europe) As I understand I will first have
to obtain a marriage licence (in Ontario) and then get married within 3 months.

Relating to that, my girlfriend will apply for a visa soon, the only problem is who
should send a invitation letter to attach to the visa application and for how long
should the invitation be. It seem so me that it would be kind of suspicious if say
my dad sent the invitation, and a few months later she'll marry a person with the
same last name
(me). What is the best way of doing this. I heard that it is best not to issue the
invitation for longer then 2 months, but then that leaves us no time in Canada to
get married and send everything out.

Now this relates to my first question. If she is only allowed to stay in Canada for
say the length of the invitation (2 months), and the marriage certificate takes up to
90 days to obtain, plus another 90 days to get the AIP I don't see how any of this is
feasible. Worse case scenario she needs 6 months to obtain the AIP. Unless she can
apply for a visa extension based on the fact that she got married. (what exactly is
needed to apply for a visa extension, is the fact that she got married enough to
extend her visa or will she need the AIP for that)

Sorry about all the babbling but I'm really confused.

Thanks in advance

Old Sep 19th 2001, 8:22 pm
Webimmigration.Com

Hi:

In applying for a visitor visa, the applicant must satisfy the Visa officer that she
intends on entering Canada on temporarily, among other things. For more information
go to http://www.webimmigration.com/requirevisitorvisa.html

If your girlfriend is able to obtain a visitor visa to Canada, and you both
subsequently marry, once her application for inland spousal sponsorship is submitted,
she will be entitled to remain in Canada as long as she has valid status. In other
words, she will have to apply for a visitor visa extension. She can apply for a
visitor visa extension prior to her application being approved in principal. Once her
application is approved in principal, she will be permitted to apply for an
employment authorization, allowing her to work in Canada, pending the outcome of her
application.

Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 20th 2001, 12:37 am
Kurakot

Is there any guarantee she will be allowed to remain in Canada? If her sponsorship
was refused for whatever reasons, would there be an avenue for appeal?

inquiring minds wants to know

>
    >
    >
officer
    >
For
    >
http://www.webimmigration.com/requirevisitorvisa.html
    >
    >
both
    >
    >
valid
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hello, everyone[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I have a couple of questions regarding the extension of a visitors visa.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > This is my situation, I'm a Canadian citizen an I am planning on getting married[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to my girlfriend once she gets to Canada.(from Europe) As I understand I will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > first have to obtain a marriage licence (in Ontario) and then get married within[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 3 months.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Relating to that, my girlfriend will apply for a visa soon, the only problem is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > who should send a invitation letter to attach to the visa application and for how[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > long should the invitation be. It seem so me that it would be kind of suspicious[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > if say my dad sent the invitation, and a few months later she'll marry a person[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > with the same last name[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (me). What is the best way of doing this. I heard that it is best not to issue[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the invitation for longer then 2 months, but then that leaves us no time in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Canada to get married and send everything out.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Now this relates to my first question. If she is only allowed to stay in Canada[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for say the length of the invitation (2 months), and the marriage certificate[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > takes up to 90 days to obtain, plus another 90 days to get the AIP I don't see[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > how any of this is feasible. Worse case scenario she needs 6 months to obtain the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > AIP. Unless she can apply for a visa extension based on the fact that she got[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > married. (what exactly is needed to apply for a visa extension, is the fact that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > she got married enough to extend her visa or will she need the AIP for that)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Sorry about all the babbling but I'm really confused.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks in advance[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 21st 2001, 2:02 am
Pmm

Hi

>
No If her sponsorship was refused for whatever reasons, would there be an avenue for
appeal? No, CIC would just refuse to process application in Canada as it was being
processed via exception. The Federal Court would be the only avenue for appeal.
    >
    >
    >
    >

PMM
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > In applying for a visitor visa, the applicant must satisfy the Visa[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > that she intends on entering Canada on temporarily, among other things.[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > more information go to[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > If your girlfriend is able to obtain a visitor visa to Canada, and you[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > subsequently marry, once her application for inland spousal sponsorship[/usenetquote2]
is
[usenetquote2]> > submitted, she will be entitled to remain in Canada as long as she has[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > status. In other words, she will have to apply for a visitor visa extension. She[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > can apply for a visitor visa extension prior to her application being approved in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > principal. Once her application is[/usenetquote2]
approved
[usenetquote2]> > in principal, she will be permitted to apply for an employment authorization,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > allowing her to work in Canada, pending the outcome of[/usenetquote2]
her
[usenetquote2]> > application.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > _________________________[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Webimmigration.com, Embrace Opportunity 225-141 Bannatyne Avenue Winnipeg,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Manitoba Canada R3B 0R3 Tel: 1-204-943-3303 Fax: 1-204-943-2625 Email:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > [email protected] Visit our website at http://www.webimmigration.com[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Hello, everyone[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I have a couple of questions regarding the extension of a visitors visa.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > This is my situation, I'm a Canadian citizen an I am planning on getting[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > married to my girlfriend once she gets to Canada.(from Europe) As I understand[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I will first have to obtain a marriage licence (in Ontario) and then get[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > married within 3 months.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Relating to that, my girlfriend will apply for a visa soon, the only problem is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > who should send a invitation letter to attach to the visa application and for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > how long should the invitation be. It seem so me that it would be kind of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > suspicious if say my dad sent the invitation, and a few months later she'll[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > marry a person with the same last name[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > (me). What is the best way of doing this. I heard that it is best not to issue[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > the invitation for longer then 2 months, but then that leaves us no time in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Canada to get married and send everything out.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Now this relates to my first question. If she is only allowed to stay in Canada[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > for say the length of the invitation (2 months), and the marriage certificate[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > takes up to 90 days to obtain, plus another 90 days to get the AIP I don't see[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > how any of this is feasible. Worse case scenario she needs 6 months to obtain[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > the AIP. Unless she can apply for a visa extension based on the fact that she[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > got married. (what exactly is needed to apply for a visa extension, is the fact[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > that she got married enough to extend her visa or will she need the AIP for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > that)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Sorry about all the babbling but I'm really confused.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Thanks in advance[/usenetquote2]