Extending a study permit.

Old May 17th 2020, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Linsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Extending a study permit.

Hi and good morning!

wondered if anyone can help me.

myself and my 3 children are in Canada on my work permit. My 3 children each have a study permit. I realized last month that my eldest sons passport was going to expire in July. By me quickly realizing that his study permit would run out at the same time. The consultant we used to get our permits didn’t even respond to my calls or emails with regards to this.

so his new passport has arrived and obviously we can’t flagpole to sort his study permit, so I need to do it online.
After looking at the process online, I’m really confused of how to do it and link my work permit to it, so it extends to the same dates.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you
Old May 17th 2020, 3:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending a study permit.

If you're on a work permit, then why do your children need study permits? How old are they?
Old May 17th 2020, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Linsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond reputeLinsey8287 has a reputation beyond repute

I asked the same question to the consultant who my work place used. She really wasn’t very good and had no response when I asked her.
My eldest 2 who are 15 and 12, have study permits and my youngest who is 8 has a visitor record, which is what all 3 have had previously.
Old May 17th 2020, 4:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linsey8287
I asked the same question to the consultant who my work place used. She really wasn’t very good and had no response when I asked her.
My eldest 2 who are 15 and 12, have study permits and my youngest who is 8 has a visitor record, which is what all 3 have had previously.
Your children shouldn't need study permits to attend school then. What kind of work permit are you on and when does it expire?
Old May 17th 2020, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

It’s a 2 year work permit which expires Jan 31st 2021.
Old May 17th 2020, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree with the consultant. A Study Permit is generally preferable for the older 2 at least.

Last edited by Snowy560; May 17th 2020 at 4:27 pm.
Old May 17th 2020, 4:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I'd agree with the consultant. A Study Permit is generally preferable for the older 2 at least.
But not required? Some schools don't understand that children of TWP holders can attend school so it may be preferable, but if the school has previously had the children there on visitor records and been happy with that, personally I'm not sure I'd bother getting more study permits.
Old May 17th 2020, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

The schools have always been happy with the visitor record. I don’t mind what I need to apply for for the children. It’s the process that I am confused by.
would it be easier to apply for a visitor record for him?
Old May 17th 2020, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Eldest one study permit expires July so an extension would be required for him to maintain legal status. Now the question as to if it should be a study permit extension or visitor record is up for debate and there is a $50 difference in fees.
OP were the Study permits applied for before you landed in Canada or did the POE just decide to issue 2 x study permits and 1 x visitor record at the POE?
Old May 17th 2020, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

It was all done online by the consultant my work place hired. She made the decision. I just went with it and signed the paper work.
Old May 17th 2020, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the children are in normal school and UK citizens and accompanying one of their parents in Canada then no study permit is required.
I suggest using this link and include a brief letter attached to if the online application allows you to and basically state

My son X name is X years old and is a UK citizen. He is accompanying his parents in Canada and is attending X school. He was initially issued a study permit until X date and this was applied for via a consultant. My understanding is that no study permit is required in this scenario and due to his previous passport expiring I now request that a visitor record be issued.
When do your permits expire?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tay/apply.html
Old May 17th 2020, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

It's (SPs) not mandatory but can be preferable particularly for older children. That's just my opinion.
Old May 17th 2020, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Mine expires in Jan 2021.
Thank you so much, I will do that.

Thank you for your help