Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Express Entry - Multiple questions regarding Marriage and Nursing

Express Entry - Multiple questions regarding Marriage and Nursing

Old Oct 9th 2019, 10:05 am
Just Joined

AntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond reputeAntonUK has a reputation beyond repute
Question Express Entry - Multiple questions regarding Marriage and Nursing

Hello All,

Myself and my partner are currently engaged and are due to get married June 2020.

We're keen to begin the Express Entry Visa (Skilled Worker) process now as my partner will be the primary applicant as she has age on her side as she is currently 29 (turns 30 in August which results in a loss of 5 points) and is also a Registered Nurse.

We plan to visit Canada BC in the summer of 2022 and make a permanent move to BC in the summer of 2023 with our children.

The plan is to try and get an ITA in time for our visit in the summer of 2022 so that we can get everything stamped and become PR whilst there, then officially move in 2023.
From my understanding, an ITA can take up to 12 months to achieve (if you have > minimum points), once you have the ITA then you have 12 months from when your medical was taken to visit Canada and have your documentation stamped to become a PR (then you have a few years before it expires). We would like to avoid having to visit Canada twice before 2023 as it would be expensive and difficult as we have young children.

My questions are as follows:
  1. Would you recommend for us to wait until we're married before we begin the Visa process?
  2. If not, to whom would the marriage certificate need to be sent to once we're married to get details amended?
  3. Is it costly to get details amended?
  4. Would the marriage affect our ECA's?
  5. What is the average delay from completing your medical to achieving ITA? I assume that if the delay is large i.e. Medical in February 2020, ITA in September 2020, then your ITA will expire in 5 months time (February 2021)?
  6. Slightly off topic, (Nurse Question) does my partner need to register with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) and complete the NCLEX-RN examination before we complete the Express Entry Visa application?
Apologies for the vast number of questions, and thanks in advance for your assistance!

Last edited by AntonUK; Oct 9th 2019 at 10:08 am.
Old Oct 9th 2019, 12:39 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express Entry - Multiple questions regarding Marriage and Nursing

I can't answer your questions about whether it's best to wait until you're married or about nursing, but I'm sure someone with more expertise in those areas will be along soon enough.

In general though if you qualify for a visa it is best to apply asap as immigration rules change all the time.

If you enter the EE pool and have enough points for an ITA the maximum wait for one is usually 2 weeks, as this is approx the frequency of draws. You can see previous draws here. At present you need to be scoring 450 or higher to get one.

Once you receive the ITA you have 60 days to submit the full application, including all the documents you will be asked for, and your application should then be processed in six months or less, but they can take longer.

If successful you will receive a COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) which will expire one year from the date of your medicals. You need to land in Canada and be processed as a new PR on or before that date.

Marriage will not affect your ECAs, you and your fiance will both need one for your highest qualification.
Old Oct 9th 2019, 12:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AntonUK
From my understanding, an ITA can take up to 12 months to achieve (if you have > minimum points), once you have the ITA then you have 12 months from when your medical was taken to visit Canada and have your documentation stamped to become a PR (then you have a few years before it expires).
Not quite. Not sure what you mean by 'minimum points', but if you have below the points threshold then you will never get picked, and your profile will just expire after a year. Once you have PR, then yes, you have a year from the date of medical to 'land' as a PR. What is your partner's score on the CRS?

Would you recommend for us to wait until we're married before we begin the Visa process?
No reason to, as long as you've lived together for a year or more than you'll be her common-law spouse anyway.

If not, to whom would the marriage certificate need to be sent to once we're married to get details amended?
If you get married after your partner applies to enter the EE pool and before she lands as a PR, then you'd simply inform CIC of a change in her circumstances.

Is it costly to get details amended?
There's no fee.

Would the marriage affect our ECA's?
Not sure what you mean by this? Your ECA's are individual, they have no bearing on the other one.

What is the average delay from completing your medical to achieving ITA? I assume that if the delay is large i.e. Medical in February 2020, ITA in September 2020, then your ITA will expire in 5 months time (February 2021)?
You're back to front - you don't have a medical until after you receive an ITA and it's actually requested.

Slightly off topic, (Nurse Question) does my partner need to register with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) and complete the NCLEX-RN examination before we complete the Express Entry Visa application?
No. She can apply for PR without being registered.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 9th 2019 at 1:12 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2019, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware usually UK trained nurses struggle to meet Canadian requirements and the process is long and expensive. She would be better to start process sooner rather than later