Express entry into Canada

Old Aug 30th 2016, 9:21 am
Just Joined

steve_watling230 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Express entry into Canada

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so firstly 'hello' to all.

My fiancé and I have long wished to live and work away from the UK, and have narrowed our search down to Canada, where we're looking at Vancouver.

We're both 28yo and would look to move before we reach 30 which will be in Spring 2018. With that in mind we will qualify for express entry but there are a few questions I had that I hope you could help with:

- How long does that express entry process take?
- How long would we be able to stay in Canada for on an express entry visa?
- Would it make it easier if we were to be married before starting the visa/migration process?
- Are there any pre-requisites to moving (savings etc)
- What are the costs associated with the application process?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Aug 30th 2016, 12:58 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express entry into Canada

First things first, also look into the IEC program. There are tons of threads on it, and a wiki article. It's closed for 2016 but will reopen in 2017. It's a lottery system, so you may or may not get a permit through it, but it's by far the easiest way for someone of your age (under 30) to get a work permit for Canada. If you get selected, it takes about 6-8 weeks to receive the permit, and it's good for two years.

To answer your questions...

First, a follow-up question: What is your CRS score? You'll need at least about 460 to stand a chance to be selected in the EE pool. What did you score?

How long does it take - depends on when they do the draws. Once you get an ITA I don't think it takes very long.

How long in Canada - if you are selected through EE, the invite is for PR, so the answer is 'permanently'.

Married - as long as you can prove you are common-law partners, there's no requirement to get married. However if you cannot absolutely prove common-law status, or if you won't qualify as common-law, then yes, get hitched.

Money - I think there's a minimum amount of money you have to show, can't remember offhand. Should be easy to find that in the wiki, though.

Costs - not sure. Again shouldn't be difficult to find. Keep in mind other costs though like paying for police checks, sitting your IELTS exam, getting a medical done, and so on.

Hope that helps!
Old Aug 30th 2016, 1:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by steve_watling230
- How long does that express entry process take?
Approximately 6 months once you've been given an invitation to apply for PR - how long that takes will depend on your CRS score. If you're scoring above approx 480 then you should get an invite fairly quickly, what is your current score?

- How long would we be able to stay in Canada for on an express entry visa?
As the name implies, Permanent Residency means you can stay forever if you wish!

- Would it make it easier if we were to be married before starting the visa/migration process?
It depends - if you qualify as common-law spouses (i.e. have lived together for a year or more and can prove it), then there's no need for marriage. But if you don't live together or haven't done for the full year, then yes, you'd need to be married to go on the same application.

- Are there any pre-requisites to moving (savings etc)
Yep, the criteria is set out on the CIC website, but you'll need to be scoring enough, to have no major recent criminal convictions, to pass a medical, and to show you have a certain amount in your bank account to show you can afford to set up your new life in Canada (rental deposits, buy a car, etc). For two of you that amount is just over $15,000. Proof of funds – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

As for costs, as well as the proof of funds above (which is actually considered by most to be far too low, most spend more on setting up their new life in Canada, so do budget as much over that as possible) you'll also have things like IELTS, your ECA's, police certs, courier fees, visa fees ($2080 for 2 of you), etc.

Then add on your actual moving costs i.e. flights, insurances, shipping etc. This thread is useful reading to give you an idea of some of the figures for those kind of things - http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...canada-735341/ It's quite old now, so add a bit on but it'll give you a rough idea at least.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 7:24 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

My fiancé and I have long wished to live and work away from the UK, and have narrowed our search down to Canada, where we're looking at Vancouver.
Welcome!

First off, as the Express Entry questions have been answered above. What makes you want to move to Vancouver?

Have you visited?

It is a very expensive and in my opinion becoming a very pretentious city. The mountains and outdoors are lovely but you don't need to be in Vancouver to have that.

If you want the Metropolitan city with great nightlife and all that then I suggest Toronto. Don't rule out the other cities in Canada or in fact BC.

I also agree about the IEC, here is no point in spending $2000+ on everything, getting PR and then finding you dont like it in canada or you get homesick. I came out by myself but when there is two of you - there is always the possibility one hates their new life where as the other one wants to stay
Old Aug 31st 2016, 9:18 am
Just Joined

steve_watling230 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick replies everyone, good to know that there are a lot of resources out there, just to answer a few of the questions you have posed:

CRS Score: Currently the score stands at 443 - so slightly less than the 460 mentioned below. What impact might this have? - just that it will take longer or that I won't be able to apply for EE?

Common-Law: This will apply as we've been together for 9 years and living together for 5 of those (homeowners for 3 years), so that should satistfy those criteria.

Some good advice below, will take a look at the IEC programme as that may be easier and then with that experience for two years, may actually make a future EE visa easier, as work experience should increase the number of points.

In terms of why Vancouver - we have visited a few years ago and are heading back to Vancouver, Calgary, Banff/Jasper in just over 3 weeks time. Certainly enjoyed our visit a few years ago but interesting that you say the culture/atmosphere seems to be shifting?

We'd like to have the city lifestyle but with easy-ish access to the mountains. In terms of our jobs, I work in digital marketing which tends to rely more on working for larger companies in the city, but my girlfriend works in the environmental sector (mainly conservation, ecology) which is why we think Vancouver as a large city but relatively close to other wildlife, conservation areas might be the best of both worlds.

Having said that would be interested in hearing your thoughts on alternatives?

Thanks
Old Aug 31st 2016, 9:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

CRS Score: Currently the score stands at 443 - so slightly less than the 460 mentioned below. What impact might this have? - just that it will take longer or that I won't be able to apply for EE?
You can always apply for EE, but you're then put in to a 'pool' of applicants and only those scoring enough are selected from that pool and invited to apply for PR. So far, the lowest the points have ever gone to is 450, so if that continues then you would just sit in the pool until your profile expires in a year.

However, at 443 you're not that far under the previously lowest points, so at that level personally I'd recommend you do apply anyway just in case the points level drops - you'd kick yourself if it went down to 440 just once and you hadn't applied!

And definitely look in to the IEC as well, if you can get over there on an IEC then that would help, give you more points and mean you can possibly convince an employer to help you with the LMIA/PNP to give you an extra 600 points (meaning you'd be selected from the pool pretty much instantly).

HTH a bit, good luck.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 9:23 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
You can always apply, 440 is the lowest score picked recently, but who know what will happen in the future, the reason 460 was mentioned is that at that score wou are pretty well guaranteed to be picked.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 2:12 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest submitting into the EE pool AND going for an IEC. You'll get more points on CRS if you have Canadian work experience, so a bit of IEC time gives you a few extra points to nudge you upwards and that might just about get you in. Definitely worth submitting at 443.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You can always apply, 440 is the lowest score picked recently, but who know what will happen in the future, the reason 460 was mentioned is that at that score wou are pretty well guaranteed to be picked.
Not necessary. The minimum score in the last 13 draws ( Mar 16 to present) has not fallen below 468 and in draws since May there has been a gradual increase with scores into the 480s, 490s with the last draw hitting 538 (but could be a data outlier).

In fact in the draws so far (41 of them from 31 Jan 15 to present) a score of 460 or less has only been picked in 12 draws (29%). The last of these was in Feb this year.

I agree with SchnookoLoly that your best bet is to apply for IEC and get the extra points from having Canadian work experience as well as opening up the CEC route in addition to FSW.

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Aug 31st 2016 at 2:26 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

grantstevenson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am also knew to this and first time i have ever written on a blog. Im looking to permanently live and work in Canada. Im 24 years old and iv recently just handed in my notice to leave the British Army where i have been in the Royal Signals for 4 years. On the CIC website it said i was eligible for the express entry into Canada because of my technical trade but even if i score top marks on my IELTS test (its booked for the 24th September) im still only scoring 391, on previous posts it says that's not enough. Could someone give me advice on whether i should still go for the express entry or other ways in which i can get permanent residency because the CIC sight is very confusing.

thanks

Grant
Old Aug 31st 2016, 3:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by grantstevenson
Hi

I am also knew to this and first time i have ever written on a blog. Im looking to permanently live and work in Canada. Im 24 years old and iv recently just handed in my notice to leave the British Army where i have been in the Royal Signals for 4 years. On the CIC website it said i was eligible for the express entry into Canada because of my technical trade but even if i score top marks on my IELTS test (its booked for the 24th September) im still only scoring 391, on previous posts it says that's not enough. Could someone give me advice on whether i should still go for the express entry or other ways in which i can get permanent residency because the CIC sight is very confusing.

thanks

Grant
Hi, welcome to BE. At 391 you're highly unlikely to get selected and invited to apply for PR - the lowest it's ever gone to is 450 and you're quite a way off that, and recently it's been around 480.

I'd look in to the IEC visa, which would get you a 2 year work permit, it's for those aged 30 and under. The program has closed for this year, but keep an eye on when the 2017 program opens (end of this year or beginning of next), and you could apply then.

Hope that helps a bit, if you've got any further questions do start your own thread and we'll be happy to help.

Good luck.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

grantstevenson is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the advice what is the success rate or being accepted on an IEC visa?
Old Aug 31st 2016, 3:37 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by grantstevenson
Thank you for the advice what is the success rate or being accepted on an IEC visa?

You are better off starting your own thread instead of posting on someone else's, that way you can get answers specific to yours, and then the original thread doesn't get 'hijacked'. There's tons of info on the board about IEC so have a quick look around and then start your own thread if you still have questions.