Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Express Entry -CRS - Skill Transferability - Education & Language

Express Entry -CRS - Skill Transferability - Education & Language

Old May 11th 2015, 8:04 am
Just Joined

arslanq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Express Entry -CRS - Skill Transferability - Education & Language

Hi Folks,

I have a query. As you know that there are several factors that provide point break-ups for Canada express entry program under CRS:

One of the factor is SKILL TRANSFERABILITY; under it is a sub category Education and language:

There are 2 options that award points under this sub category...

1. Post-secondary program credential of one year or longer (CLB levels 3,4 & 5) - {It carries 25 Points}
  2. Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer (CLB levels 6,7 & 8) - {It carries 50 Points}
I am about 90 % sure that I am in category 1

I have completed a 4 Year Bachelor of Science in Finance (Total 16 Years Education)

My question is; If I am in category 1 and not 2; what is the most easiest and efficient way for me to jump to category 2; if for example, If I complete a diploma of 3/6 months, or 1 year, will then even make me qualify....?
Old May 11th 2015, 8:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express Entry -CRS - Skill Transferability - Education & Language

Do you have the required Canadian work experience for those points as well?

Personally, I'd say you'd need at least a one year diploma to qualify for the '2 post-secondary program credentials', in addition to your degree. Not sure it would be worth it for only 25 points though personally.

HTH.
Old May 11th 2015, 9:38 am
Just Joined

My Master is incomplete, and will take up to a year to complete. If a diploma from a virtual university, acceptable to WES, is easily obtainable, don't you think I should go for it?

What would you suggest I should rather do.
Old May 11th 2015, 9:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arslanq
My Master is incomplete, and will take up to a year to complete. If a diploma from a virtual university, acceptable to WES, is easily obtainable, don't you think I should go for it?
Any genuine diploma will take at least a year too, so why is that different to your masters? Not sure what a 'virtual university is', but it sounds like something that wouldn't be accepted. I don't know where you're from, but high fraud countries such as Pakistan or Nigeria frequently have issues with educational credentials due to the high amount of fakes, so you need to make sure it's genuine wherever you're from (but particularly if you're from a high fraud country which will mean your application is scrutinised more than usual). Anything less than a year, and not a recognised qualification, won't count.

But if you want to spend a year studying to get an extra 25 points then go for it. Personally I wouldn't, but that's your call. What are you scoring at the moment with the 25 points?

And as above, do you actually have Canadian work experience?
Old May 11th 2015, 10:47 am
Just Joined

I have checked from WES, that evaluates foreign qualifications and issues ECA. They recognize Virtual University of Pakistan. Since it is a federal university, it is not a fraud.

With 25 points, I am scoring a total of 439 Points.

No, I do not have any canadian working experience. Why do you ask?
Old May 11th 2015, 10:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I have checked from WES, that evaluates foreign qualifications and issues ECA. They recognize Virtual University of Pakistan. Since it is a federal university, it is not a fraud.
As long as it's a genuine certificate and course, then that's fine. If you can get your masters in the same timeframe though, that would be a better option - more points, plus you'd be much more employable when you get to Canada.

No, I do not have any canadian working experience. Why do you ask?
I'd assumed you were counting the 25 points due to Canadian work experience and education as English doesn't seem to be your first language, so you score enough on IELTS to count it for language and education instead?

If I were you, personally to up my points I'd look at getting a job offer rather than studying for another year for just 25 extra points, but it's your call.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 11th 2015 at 11:15 am.
Old May 11th 2015, 11:18 am
Just Joined

UPSY is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
From my understanding if you complete a graduate certificate, post grad diploma ect from a reconised uni then you can gain the extra points.
Its a step we are doing as we found out our company have a ban on issuing LMIAs, our consutlant said most of his large clients did.
We are now going to Canada on an Intra company transfer and due to losing out on the 600 points for a LMIA (job offer without is worth 0 points) and being a little over the 29 age mark, the 25+ points will come in handy,.
At the moment even with a job , perfect language scores and both our Uni degrees assessed, we can't compete with someone outside of canada who is under 29 with no job offer. Hoping to collect as many extra points as we can in our first year there to get an ITA.
A graduate certificate can be done at our zero fees uni in 1 semester (17) weeks. I dont know if there is anything like that in thekUK as we are based in nz.
I hope all works out for you.

Last edited by UPSY; May 11th 2015 at 11:23 am.
Old May 11th 2015, 11:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by UPSY
A graduate certificate can be done at our zero fees uni in 1 semester (17) weeks.
Will something like that definitely count as an additional diploma? It always used to be that a year was the minimum duration for any diploma to count, but perhaps CIC have changed it?
Old May 11th 2015, 11:35 am
Just Joined

UPSY is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe so.
The cic website does not state a year minimum just that it must be a graduate or post graduate certificate, diploma or degree. So if its above an undergraduate level then it would qualify.
This must follow a minimum of a three year degree.
However that's just my understanding of the cic website, hopefully its correct as the points will come in handy.
Old May 11th 2015, 11:43 am
Just Joined

I have scored good in IELTS; so I can score points based on education + language.

You are right; I am already looking for a job match; but I am not sure if it will work out. So my next best option is to increase my points through other means.

I just don't want to look back from year now, and think - "ah....If only I had done that a year ago......"
Old May 11th 2015, 11:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I just don't want to look back from year now, and think - "ah....If only I had done that a year ago......"
Very wise! Best of luck with it.