British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Exploratory Visits (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/exploratory-visits-928063/)

Frazzle Sep 23rd 2019 9:15 am

Exploratory Visits

Hi all,

I am due to go on an exploratory visit to Morden Manitoba shortly. I was wondering if anyone here has been on one? And if you could share your experience?
I am particularly interested in the interview with the immigration official at the end of it... What kind of settlement plan etc they expect.
I already have some idea, but you can never be too prepared.

Many thanks

christmasoompa Sep 23rd 2019 9:18 am

Re: Exploratory Visits

Hi, welcome to BE.

This thread would be worth a read, tons of info in here. https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/manitoba-strategic-initiative-702457/.

Just make sure you can demonstrate good ties to MB, people have been refused before just for holidaying in other provinces so that's one thing they are very strict on!

HTH, good luck.

Frazzle Sep 23rd 2019 9:50 am

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that thread, plenty for me to read there.

I have holidayed to a couple of other places in Canada but have no ties there. I guess we will just have to prove that we are really eager to move to Morden, which we are.

​​​​​​I explained our visits during my Skype interview and we still received an invitation so hopefully that will count for something.

christmasoompa Sep 23rd 2019 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Frazzle (Post 12738587)
Thanks, I hadn't noticed that thread, plenty for me to read there.

I have holidayed to a couple of other places in Canada but have no ties there. I guess we will just have to prove that we are really eager to move to Morden, which we are.

​​​​​​I explained our visits during my Skype interview and we still received an invitation so hopefully that will count for something.

You'd like to think so, but it's not always the case - https://britishexpats.com/forum/immi.../#post11340114

If your visits were to different places that may well help. Fingers crossed!

Frazzle Sep 23rd 2019 10:36 am

Wow that really does seem strange that they would consider holidays as having ties.
My previous visits were to two separate provinces so fingers crossed.

christmasoompa Sep 23rd 2019 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Frazzle (Post 12738604)
Wow that really does seem strange that they would consider holidays as having ties.
My previous visits were to two separate provinces so fingers crossed.

I guess if you look at it from MB's point of view, they want people who genuinely want to live in MB. If an applicant has never visited there before but has chosen to holiday elsewhere instead, then that indicates a lack of interest in the province. They're just trying to make sure people don't just choose MB because it's an 'easier' province to get nomination in, and then use it as a stepping stone to somewhere else in Canada.

Frazzle Sep 23rd 2019 12:08 pm

I can understand that, it makes sense. Although places like Toronto and Vancouver are definitely advertised as holiday destinations far more than mb.
I guess going somewhere twice would look like you were interested in that particular place.

Stumpylegs Sep 26th 2019 2:57 pm

Can i just ask how you got your exploratory visit? can't see anything on the MPNP website and have emailed them but not had a reply.

Granted i will have to do some work in getting more accustomed to Manitoba prior to the exploratory visit - a couple of holidays etc (I've never been before - but am of the opinion now I'd rather try my luck in any part of Canada than remain in the UK).

Frazzle Sep 26th 2019 3:26 pm

Hi, I applied through the Morden Community Immigration Initiative, if you type that into Google it should come up.
You can download the forms and apply via email.
This is not the usual way of applying to the mpnp I believe and perhaps not for everyone.
But if you are like me and would prefer to live in a rural area then maybe.
​​​​​

Frazzle Sep 26th 2019 4:17 pm

The website is www.mordenimmigration.com I have applied through their skilled worker program.
If you are unable to qualify for MPNP on your own Morden can offer you support if they believe you to be a good fit.

Stumpylegs Sep 26th 2019 4:28 pm

Thanks - yea i'm not too interested in living in a city, want a few acres out of town.

I score 59 on the MPNP but have no ties to Manitoba - so an ITA from an exploratory visit would hike me up to 79, but I couldn't find out how to get an exploratory visit.

The sticking point is i can't have an application in with another province which I currently don't, but will be applying to Saskatchewan in a matter of days - although its reassuring to know if thats not successful i could have a shot at manitoba, as short of losing my job i don't lose any points with them for 14 years! (providing i could match my english test results if they ran out)

Siouxie Sep 26th 2019 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs (Post 12740585)
Thanks - yea i'm not too interested in living in a city, want a few acres out of town.

I score 59 on the MPNP but have no ties to Manitoba - so an ITA from an exploratory visit would hike me up to 79, but I couldn't find out how to get an exploratory visit.

The sticking point is i can't have an application in with another province which I currently don't, but will be applying to Saskatchewan in a matter of days - although its reassuring to know if thats not successful i could have a shot at manitoba, as short of losing my job i don't lose any points with them for 14 years! (providing i could match my english test results if they ran out)

If you pass the criteria and they are interested after you have submitted an application they would contact you and invite you for an exploratory visit.
https://www.mordenimmigration.com/skilled-worker-faq

As you are aware - in applying to another Province you risk not getting an invitation from either but which Province issued your CoQ - because that would imply your interest in living in that Province... if it wasn't Manitoba then there's probably not a lot of point in applying there.. Red Seal means you can work anywhere - once you have Permanent Residency, but it doesn't help you to gain PR - the CoQ does.
:)

Frazzle Nov 30th 2019 11:27 am

I thought I would give an update on how things were progressing.

So, myself and my family went for our exploratory visit to Morden last month. During our visit we were shown around schools, hospitals, daycare, banks, recreation center, parks and also went for our meeting with a local counsellor. We stayed with a lovely couple in their basement flat, arranged for us.

​​​​​​On our own we visited grocery stores, cafes/restaurants, more parks, Lake Minnewasta and we also explored employment opportunities which were very promising. I was told by a couple of companies that if I returned with PR they would hire me.
​​​​​​
Also arranged for us was a consultation with an estate agent who gave up her time to explain the whole process of renting/buying in Canada and the cost of utilities etc.

All in all we thought that Morden was amazing, everything that you could possibly need in one place. The city is rural in the sense of there being only one other small city within 2 hours drive. This suits us down to the ground, being able to look over such amazing countryside is so refreshing. I have also never seen my wife and children so happy.

So there was a fair bit of pressure on the interview with mpnp at the end of the trip. We were over 2 hours late for the interview due to a major accident that blocked the road on the way to Winnipeg. Thankfully we were seen still and the interview seemed to go ok.

After returning we have waited five weeks but have now received our ITA which will give us an extra 500 points towards mpnp.

I could apply now online through the mpnp where the whole process could take a year and a half, or I could go through express entry which should be a fair bit quicker.
The only trouble is that I need more points for express entry which should come from education but sadly WES does not assess trades.
I have sent another university diploma that I got a few years ago off to WES but it has been over two months and I'm still waiting on news of how soon it will be assessed. If it comes back as one year of university study I will be able to get my express entry profile.

I now just have to play a waiting game and hope that by WES assessment comes back before the final date I need to use my ITA by.

I know there is a long way to go but things are seeming promising.
I​​​ am going to spend any spare time I get revising for the Red Seal trade exam in order to make me more employable
​​​

Frazzle Jan 29th 2020 1:49 pm

Just thought I would post my MPNP timeline, so far things have gone really quickly, a couple of stressful hiccups along the way but its all good now.

ITA for EOI 28 November 2019

EOI 05 December 2019

LAA 06 December 2019 (Draw #78)

Application submitted 08 December 2019

Application Received 09 December 2019

Application in Process 20 December 2019

Assessment Complete 24 January 2020

Nomination Received 27 January 2020

Nomination Received in Express Entry 28 January

Frazzle Feb 15th 2020 3:33 pm

ITA Received Express Entry 05 February 2020