Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Expiring COPR during Covid lockdown

Expiring COPR during Covid lockdown

Old Apr 20th 2020, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Chloe_Elliot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expiring COPR during Covid lockdown

Hi everyone,

My partner got his COPR confirmation right before the lockdown was imposed in the UK and the expiry date is June 10. As I'm sure everyone can understand, we are getting worried about this date as it seems that flights are becoming more and more limited, especially given that we are meant to be travelling with our cat. Is anyone else in the same boat or have any additional information about the extension process if that became necessary?

We have looked at the IRCC link (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nent_residence) about extensions and from our understanding, the application is put on hold until you inform IRCC that you are able to travel and at that time you re-do your medical and police check (given that they will be expired) before having the application re-approved?

Any info or experiences would be helpful as we all navigate these uncertain and stressful times!
Old Apr 21st 2020, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expiring COPR during Covid lockdown

Originally Posted by Chloe_Elliot
Hi everyone,

My partner got his COPR confirmation right before the lockdown was imposed in the UK and the expiry date is June 10. As I'm sure everyone can understand, we are getting worried about this date as it seems that flights are becoming more and more limited, especially given that we are meant to be travelling with our cat. Is anyone else in the same boat or have any additional information about the extension process if that became necessary?

We have looked at the IRCC link (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nent_residence) about extensions and from our understanding, the application is put on hold until you inform IRCC that you are able to travel and at that time you re-do your medical and police check (given that they will be expired) before having the application re-approved?

Any info or experiences would be helpful as we all navigate these uncertain and stressful times!
Presently there is nothing stopping you getting a flight to Canada before 10th June and taking up your PR, but that may change. I assume you know you will have to quarantine for 14 days on arrival. If you book Air Canada I think the cat can go in the cabin with you. If you don't want to travel now and do the quarantine thing then yes you need to ask for an extension and l don't know if that's going to mean more meds / police certs and a new decision. As you are technically not actually prevented from travelling then the question is do they even need to give you an extension? It's all a bit messed up and it would be nice to know what the IRCC extension policy actually is.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 10:45 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Presently there is nothing stopping you getting a flight to Canada before 10th June and taking up your PR, but that may change. I assume you know you will have to quarantine for 14 days on arrival. If you book Air Canada I think the cat can go in the cabin with you. If you don't want to travel now and do the quarantine thing then yes you need to ask for an extension and l don't know if that's going to mean more meds / police certs and a new decision. As you are technically not actually prevented from travelling then the question is do they even need to give you an extension? It's all a bit messed up and it would be nice to know what the IRCC extension policy actually is.
1, CIC has pretty much laid out how they are handling emigrants depending on when their COPR was issued. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...pproved-expire
2. They will extend the validity of the COPR, it is unlikely that new Meds/PCC would be required.
Old Apr 28th 2020, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Chloe_Elliot is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah we are thinking that they might not view an extension as necessary, and depending on how long the process is to then get the green light after an extension was granted, not sure it is even worth the trouble. Still waiting for a reply from IRCC so we'll see.
Old May 2nd 2020, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chloe_Elliot
Yeah we are thinking that they might not view an extension as necessary, and depending on how long the process is to then get the green light after an extension was granted, not sure it is even worth the trouble. Still waiting for a reply from IRCC so we'll see.
What was the actual date your partner got his COPR? If its on or before 18th March IRCC are encouraging you to travel if possible. If the COPR was issued after that date you cannot travel/ land.