Wikiposts

To Experts: Landing Questions

Old Mar 5th 2005, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

houstonian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To Experts: Landing Questions

Andrew and other Experts,

After finally I got the PR visa I am now planning to proceed with the landing process this May. I have several questions:

1. We plan to enter the Canadian border from Seattle with rental car during the weekend and go back to the US. We will re-enter to Canada later. Can I enter the border and provide my friend's address in Toronto as my temporary address for CIC to mail my PR card? Should I mention to the border officer that the address is actually my friend's address? Please advise.

2. For proof of funds, can I bring a US Bank Statements showing cash balances that is readily available to be transferred to a Canadian Bank? The bank has branches in Canada. What type of proofs of funds the CIC officers are willing to accept? Please be specific.

3. We plan to just bring our clothes and nothing else when we enter Canada eventually. What list should we bring? Is there any government (Canadian custom) website providing comprehensive information on the landing process?

Thanks in advance,
Houstonian
Old Mar 6th 2005, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: To Experts: Landing Questions

Andrew/PMM/Other experts,

Any response?

Thanks much,
Houstonian

Originally Posted by houstonian

After finally I got the PR visa I am now planning to proceed with the landing process this May. I have several questions:

1. We plan to enter the Canadian border from Seattle with rental car during the weekend and go back to the US. We will re-enter to Canada later. Can I enter the border and provide my friend's address in Toronto as my temporary address for CIC to mail my PR card? Should I mention to the border officer that the address is actually my friend's address? Please advise.

2. For proof of funds, can I bring a US Bank Statements showing cash balances that is readily available to be transferred to a Canadian Bank? The bank has branches in Canada. What type of proofs of funds the CIC officers are willing to accept? Please be specific.

3. We plan to just bring our clothes and nothing else when we enter Canada eventually. What list should we bring? Is there any government (Canadian custom) website providing comprehensive information on the landing process?

Thanks in advance,
Houstonian
Old Mar 6th 2005, 9:28 am
Can I go now!?

OzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really nice

Thanks in advance,
Houstonian
Hi Houstonian,
congratulations on getting your visa. I am not an expert but I have seen your first two questions answered here numerous times. You can have the PR card mailed to a friend's address. I know, if I was you, I wouldn't tell the immigration people of your plan unless they specifically asked. Just be aware that some people have been instructed to pick up their cards.

I believe that your US bank statements will do the job perfectly. To be on the safe side you could also go to a bank machine and get a balance print-out just before you land.

I don't really have an answer for your last question but do a search for 'goods to follow' and you should find the information you require
Old Mar 6th 2005, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Raghu is an unknown quantity at this point

Answer-1:

It all depends on the type of questions the immigration officer has in mind for you?
Though you can depend on the 2/5 rule and tell the truth. But we never know?
With my experience in immigration by road, crossing borders on a daily basis both in US and canadian plated cars and managing Canada customs, I can advise you that its a little risk in travelling in US plated cars, epecially when you want to comeback in a week or so. If you take US car while immigrating, the 1st question they ask you is, " Why are you taking the US plated car? Where you wil return it if you immigrate? What is your address in Canada?. The problems start from this point onward depending on how you go about answering his questions.
My best advise is to tell the truth and see how he reacts. Some times I have seen them frustrated if you tell this. Some times, they make you sit and start questioning you & your spouse. I know a couple of cases of cancellations at the port of entry. I could never get the reasons though. Take chances. Risk will pay you after all.

Answer-2:
All I know is the "Cashier'r check.

Answer3:
If you decise to bring them later, You will be given 1 year time starting from the Dt of POE to bring in all your goods (Non-Commercial) The officer will give you a doc for you to list them(Jewellery, Car Incl.,) with value in dollars.
If you want more details on this, search in google, you will get it. Its not on top of my head, right now.

~Raghu
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Raghu and OzRob.

Anybody in this forum who can tell his/her experience when landing through Pacific Highway I-5 border (Washington-British Columbia)? Please share your experience.

Thanks in advance
Houstonian
Old Jun 10th 2005, 2:22 am
Just Joined

davidr is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Raghu and OzRob.

Anybody in this forum who can tell his/her experience when landing through Pacific Highway I-5 border (Washington-British Columbia)? Please share your experience.

Thanks in advance
Houstonian
How did it go? We'll be doing the same in Dec 05?
Old Jun 10th 2005, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

David

It went very smooth.... I shared my landing experience here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...9&page=2&pp=15

Important to note: if you're going back using "automatic revalidation", do not surrender your I-94 when you exit the US. Staple your original I-94 to your passport and bring the original H-1b petition (I-797) with you.

Good luck

houstonian

Originally Posted by davidr
How did it go? We'll be doing the same in Dec 05?