ETA Validity Question

Old Mar 27th 2022, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Antwerp_Belgian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ETA Validity Question

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the ETA validity to travel to Canada. I've seen that even if you're traveling to Canada to land and activate your PR, you technically don't need it but it's still safe to request one. So I was planning to do just that. Now, I didn't know it was valid for 5 years so I've requested one every time I've been to Canada. So both 2017 and 2018. Both were approved.
When I try to check the validity in the official tool, it is unable to find either of those ETA's, both of which are actually still valid right now.
I have used the correct info, as I still have the original emails. I have double checked the name, country, dates and numbers, and even played around with the dates by shifting them one day back and forth on both day of issue and day of expiration.
Should I apply for another ETA or just take the chance? I have not changed passports since then.
Old Mar 27th 2022, 1:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ETA Validity Question

If you have a COPR, then you won't need an ETA (and why your others have been cancelled).

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...um=1184&top=16

HTH.
Old Mar 27th 2022, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I do indeed have a COPR, but I've read (here on forum or wiki) that some airlines don't know what that means and won't let you board without an ETA if you're not a canadian PR or citizen.
Would this be a problem?
Old Mar 27th 2022, 2:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antwerp_Belgian
Thanks, I do indeed have a COPR, but I've read (here on forum or wiki) that some airlines don't know what that means and won't let you board without an ETA if you're not a canadian PR or citizen.
Would this be a problem?
I'd contact the airline ahead of time and check. They should know an ETA isn't required (and you can include a copy of the link above).
Old Mar 30th 2022, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antwerp_Belgian
Would this be a problem?
LOL this reminds me of when we checked in for our PR landing flight . The problem comes at airline check-in when you hand them your COPR and the person reads writ large in red capital letters right across the front page of the COPR the wording, "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" In our case the check-in lady took the wording at face value and said we couldn't travel, a supervisor was called and eventually we were allowed to board. Problem was we had to wait ages for the supervisor because they were dealing with a drunk passenger and very nearly missed our flight. BTW this was no backwater airport / obscure airline connecting flight - it was Heathrow direct to Toronto with Air Canada!
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice! I tried to request a new eTA and was in fact issued one so I'll just use that to avoid confusion.