eTA to travel to Canada

Old Aug 7th 2015, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default eTA to travel to Canada

Hi all, some members of this forum will need an eTA to travel to Canada from March next year, when travelling by air, but it looks as if it can be applied for from now:

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Apologies if I missed that someone already posted this.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Aug 7th 2015 at 6:08 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 10:16 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: eTA to travel to Canada

I checked this and said I was on a work permit and it said I didn't need to get one yet but could if I wanted to. That really confused me but I'm guessing I have to.have my eTA by end of February?
Old Aug 7th 2015, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I found this link if you already have a WP:

I already have a study or work permit, do I need to apply for an eTA?

and this link if you haven't got a WP already but you apply/get one:

Should I apply for an eTA or a visa when I apply for a work permit?

So because you already have a WP, it seems you will have to get an eTA if you leave Canada and return by air. But if you didn't already have a WP then applied and got your WP, I think you would be issued with an eTA automatically, along with the WP.

Let's see what happens. They're not mandatory until the middle of March.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Aug 7th 2015 at 11:15 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 5:03 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Hi I found this link if you already have a WP:

I already have a study or work permit, do I need to apply for an eTA?

and this link if you haven't got a WP already but you apply/get one:

Should I apply for an eTA or a visa when I apply for a work permit?

So because you already have a WP, it seems you will have to get an eTA if you leave Canada and return by air. But if you didn't already have a WP then applied and got your WP, I think you would be issued with an eTA automatically, along with the WP.

Let's see what happens. They're not mandatory until the middle of March.

S
I'm activating a new work permit in 3 weeks so I will ask them then
Old Aug 12th 2015, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

PeterB123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm a newbie here so hope this is OK. As I have family in Canada I thought I'd get this eTA done and made application last week. Got a message back today (longer than the 72 hours promised) stating that they want more documentation so would I go to the CIC site and create an account and a link to my application.
Went to the site, opened an account but it doesn't recognise any of my application details and there is no message for me despite having been told there would be! Now I have had to write to enquiries to find out what next. I'm not holding my breathe for a quick reply!
I know I'm well ahead of the deadline but thought I'd leave this information because it does look as if it won't be a good idea to leave things to the last moment!
In the meantime, I was also told that I can't use my UK passport to enter Canada until this is resolved. It makes me feel like a criminal!!
Old Aug 12th 2015, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

This sounds awful! Poor you!

I bet it's "teething" problems with new systems etc.

I hope it gets resolved quickly (and please let us know!)

Hopefully you had no trip to Canada actually booked ....

S
Old Aug 12th 2015, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

PeterB123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Snowy, No, nothing booked at the moment but that was why I started well ahead of time. Sadly, I'm not surprised that it doesn't work! Kind regards, Peter
Old Aug 12th 2015, 6:39 pm
PottsyJ

Joepottinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Hi Beckiwoo,

I am on a work permit but travel back and forth to Canada every month the whole year round so looking at that link this is really going to affect me heavily! I wonder if we can keep applying for Eta's or can you only get one as I still have 18 months left on my IEC visa?

Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2015, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

An eTA is valid for 5 years or until your passport expires:

So it shouldn't affect you other than making the initial application.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Aug 12th 2015 at 6:48 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty simple I think - if you are already in Canada, then you don't need an eTA. If you travel outside Canada and return via Air then you will need an eTA.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 6:48 pm
PottsyJ

Originally Posted by Snowy560
An eTA is valid for 5 years or until your passport expires:

S
Thanks for that snowy560.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joepottinger
Hi Beckiwoo,

I am on a work permit but travel back and forth to Canada every month the whole year round so looking at that link this is really going to affect me heavily! I wonder if we can keep applying for Eta's or can you only get one as I still have 18 months left on my IEC visa?

Thanks
Looks to me like an approved eTA lasts for 5 years for multiple entry or until your passport expires, whichever is sooner.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 7:03 pm
PottsyJ

Originally Posted by neill
Looks to me like an approved eTA lasts for 5 years for multiple entry or until your passport expires, whichever is sooner.
Thanks for that neill. I am a bit of a rare case with my IEC work permit as I still work for a UK company but my holiday entitlement and company flexibility allows me to travel to Canada during my 6 months holidays through the year.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 8:31 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by bc2015
It's pretty simple I think - if you are already in Canada, then you don't need an eTA. If you travel outside Canada and return via Air then you will need an eTA.
I know this but I want to know if my new work permit will require the eTA as it is after August 1st. According to the website all new permits after August will not require an eTA.

Judging by the issues that one of the posters has experienced when applying for one, I will hold off (if I require one) until they sort out the initial problems with their system. I am hoping it will be as easy as it is with the ESTA.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

I know this but I want to know if my new work permit will require the eTA as it is after August 1st. According to the website all new permits after August will not require an eTA.

Judging by the issues that one of the posters has experienced when applying for one, I will hold off (if I require one) until they sort out the initial problems with their system. I am hoping it will be as easy as it is with the ESTA.
eTAs are not required for land crossings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.