ETA advice for UK citizen

Old Apr 25th 2024, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Inky14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ETA advice for UK citizen

Looking for advice before travelling to Canada for a work trip.

In 2006 I was arrested and given a penalty notice. I was not charged or convicted due to accepting and paying the fine.

Basically I was drunk, got into an argument with someone and swore at the police officer that was trying to calm the situation.

The eta question for Canada is worrying me as I’m not sure how to answer it:

Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?

I’m concerned that saying “yes” due to the arrest part may open a can of worms and elongate the application process on a tight timeframe. As I was never charged or convicted, I wondered if it could be considered fair to say “no”?

Old Apr 25th 2024, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ETA advice for UK citizen

If you look closely at the question it is split into 3 parts

have you ever committed
been arrested for
been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence in any country

it is the commas that split the question so you have to treat it as 3 distinct questions and answers and you say you were arrested. How you choose to answer the question is your choice knowing this additional bit of information.
Chances are the fixed penalty ticket was for drunk and disorderly, breach of the peace and you were fined. There is room for an explanation and you maybe asked to provide more information however something like this should not make you inadmissible.
Old Apr 25th 2024, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Inky14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Former Lancastrian - I hoped admission wouldn’t be a problem based on the situation and length of time passed so that’s good to hear.

I’m concerned saying “yes” will slow down the application process though. Do you have any idea how long it would likely take if I did say “yes” with added context?

Fwiw, I travelled to the USA in 2011 without issue. I don’t remember having to answer a similar question, but to be honest, I think that is because my partner completed my ESTA and would’ve answered “no” if there was one due to not knowing about my experience at the time.

Last edited by Inky14; Apr 25th 2024 at 11:51 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2024, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I cannot give you a definite timeframe. I know on IRCC applications where the same question is asked there is a place to briefly outline the circumstances but never having to fill out the eTA online form. From the guide there is a box to add additional pertinent details as noted on page 17

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ir...ta/english.pdf

The last thing you need is to arrive in Canada be sent to secondary examination and then the arrest is known to the CBSA officer and then you are looking at possibly being reported for misrepresentation and asked to withdraw your application to enter Canada and being put on the next flight back.