Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Entry with Employment Authorization

Entry with Employment Authorization

Old Jan 23rd 2002, 4:17 pm
Clemens Martin

Experts,

today I received a Fax-Letter with my Employment Authorization (after quite a wait
since August due to Medicals).

This fax-letter is addressed to me and features an "Employment Authorization" Number.
Apart from that it is a form letter without any specific details about validity,
employer and such. It says that I can use this letter to obtain the "real" EA at the
port of entry. The letter is not signed.

I have a couple of questions.

Do I have to wait for the "real" version by mail, or can I use the fax version to
enter the country?

My familiy will follow a few weeks after. Will they be ok with a copy of the letter?

Do the same regulations apply for the "goods to follow" list as for PR immigrants?

I asked the embassy in Berlin about the Open Employment Authorization scheme for
temporary workers, which was mentioned by Arthur Miller a couple of weeks ago. The
Call-Center did not have any information on any new regulation. By now I have not
received an answer to my fax-inquiry with regard to this matter. Is this regulations
implemented already? If so, how do we apply? Is it limited to specific occupations?
I´ll pick up a position as professor for IT at a university in BC.

Any information or help is very welcome

thanks Clemens Martin

Old Jan 23rd 2002, 5:51 pm
Pmm

Hi Clemens

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
You can use the faxed copy to enter and the EA will be issued at the Port of Entry.

>
    >

Yes, but I would send them a copy of the EA by fax, just to be sure.

>
    >

No, any goods you import, you will normally have to export, you can not sell them
in Canada.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Your EA will probably be for a specific employer. Your spouse when in Canada can
apply for an open EA.

PMM
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 24th 2002, 8:36 am
Clemens Martin

Hi,

thanks for the answer so far. I need a bit of clarification though. See below.

PMM wrote:

>
    >

>
[usenetquote2]>>Experts,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>today I received a Fax-Letter with my Employment Authorization (after quite a wait[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>since August due to Medicals).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>This fax-letter is addressed to me and features an "Employment Authorization"[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>Number. Apart from that it is a form letter without any specific details about[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>validity, employer and such. It says that I can use this letter to obtain the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>"real" EA at the port of entry. The letter is not signed.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>I have a couple of questions.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>Do I have to wait for the "real" version by mail, or can I use the fax version to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>enter the country?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]>>My familiy will follow a few weeks after. Will they be ok with a copy of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>the letter?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]>>Do the same regulations apply for the "goods to follow" list as for PR immigrants?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

I don´t want to sell anything which I bring with me or which will be shipped by a
mover. I want to know whether I have to pay duty or anything for my personal
belongings and whether I have to prepare a list of the stuff which will be following
me by ship and present it when I enter the country.

>
[usenetquote2]>>I asked the embassy in Berlin about the Open Employment Authorization scheme for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>temporary workers, which was mentioned by Arthur Miller a couple of weeks ago. The[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>Call-Center did not have any information on any new regulation. By now I have not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>received an answer to my fax-inquiry with regard to this matter. Is this[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>regulations implemented already? If so, how do we apply? Is it limited to specific[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>occupations? I´ll pick up a position as professor for IT at a university in BC.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

I know my EA is for a specific employer. Can my wife apply fon an open EA already
from here (Germany)? If she gets an open EA, will she be allowed to found a business
and employ herself?

Thanks Clemens

>
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]>>Any information or help is very welcome[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>thanks Clemens Martin[/usenetquote2]