Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Entering Canada on a tourist Visa.

Entering Canada on a tourist Visa.

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

-dodgy Geezer- is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entering Canada on a tourist Visa.

Hi everyone,

I have recently just finished 12 months in Canada on a working holiday Visa and have returned to the UK. I enjoyed my time there and am now looking to return for 5-6 months travelling on a tourist Visa.

I will arrive with sufficient funds to pay for the duration of my trip but i will not know the exact date of on which i will leave the Canada within the 6 months.

Does anyone with any experience of my situation know whether i would receive any difficulties at the border entering on a tourist visa without a flight/bus booked to leave the country?

Many Thanks.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:49 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering Canada on a tourist Visa.

Originally Posted by -dodgy Geezer-
Hi everyone,

I have recently just finished 12 months in Canada on a working holiday Visa and have returned to the UK. I enjoyed my time there and am now looking to return for 5-6 months travelling on a tourist Visa.

I will arrive with sufficient funds to pay for the duration of my trip but i will not know the exact date of on which i will leave the Canada within the 6 months.

Does anyone with any experience of my situation know whether i would receive any difficulties at the border entering on a tourist visa without a flight/bus booked to leave the country?

Many Thanks.
In theory you should have no problems. However if you cannot convince the CBSA officer that you will leave, you may not get in at all. If flying on a one way, with no residency permit, the carrier may deny boarding. Better to have an open return.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice. I will definately look into booking a open return flight.

Also, i am currently unemployed in the UK and due to my age i have no real ties to England, such as any children or a mortgage (although i do intend on returning back to the UK within the period of the Vistior Visa.

Would this act as a disadvantage towards me entering the country on a tourist Visa?

Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to reply to my thread.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. I will definately look into booking a open return flight.

Also, i am currently unemployed in the UK and due to my age i have no real ties to England, such as any children or a mortgage (although i do intend on returning back to the UK within the period of the Vistior Visa.

Would this act as a disadvantage towards me entering the country on a tourist Visa?

Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to reply to my thread.
Big RED FLAG. Im sure you have family Have a return ticket and proof of funds to show CIC or CBSA for the amount of time you wish to stay.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fm85
Very helpful
Are you a spam bot?
Old Apr 27th 2014, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Big RED FLAG. Im sure you have family Have a return ticket and proof of funds to show CIC or CBSA for the amount of time you wish to stay.
I hope the red flag in capital letters was a joke but i do have lots of family within the UK and none family (only friends) in Canada.

I Will book at return flight and i am sure that i have/have access to enough funds for my visit. Just out of curiosity what would you suggest would be an reasonable/acceptable amount of money to ensure a stay for a 5-6 month stay?

Many Thanks!
Old Apr 27th 2014, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I hope the red flag in capital letters was a joke but i do have lots of family within the UK and none family (only friends) in Canada.

I Will book at return flight and i am sure that i have/have access to enough funds for my visit. Just out of curiosity what would you suggest would be an reasonable/acceptable amount of money to ensure a stay for a 5-6 month stay?

Many Thanks!
No it wasn't a joke and seeing as I work for CBSA and based on your previous post about being unemployed no ties etc we would have been having a very long discussion.
Without knowing your situation its hard to give you an accurate answer.
Circumstances vary between people are you living with relatives here or on your own. What avenue of income do you have or savings? These vary as opposed to being single.
Hotel costs per day between $50 to $150 a day monthly rates will be cheaper
Food per day how much would that cost?
Do you need transportation?
Do you have medical coverage? If you have an accident are you covered?
Why do you need to stay another 5 to 6 months? Is there a valid reason.
Vague answers won't cut it or not being able to produce proof of funds etc etc.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

No it wasn't a joke and seeing as I work for CBSA and based on your previous post about being unemployed no ties etc we would have been having a very long discussion.
Without knowing your situation its hard to give you an accurate answer.
Circumstances vary between people are you living with relatives here or on your own. What avenue of income do you have or savings? These vary as opposed to being single.
Hotel costs per day between $50 to $150 a day monthly rates will be cheaper
Food per day how much would that cost?
Do you need transportation?
Do you have medical coverage? If you have an accident are you covered?
Why do you need to stay another 5 to 6 months? Is there a valid reason.
Vague answers won't cut it or not being able to produce proof of funds etc etc.

First of all I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my questions, but I did not anticipate receiving an answer from someone with as much experience as someone working for the CBSA and therefore I will now explain my situation in further detail.

I arrived back in the UK on the 16th of April 2014 after spending just under 12month in BC on a 12 month working holiday Visa. Due to the fact that i remained more stationary (never leaving the BC province) and worked for the duration of my stay, I did not spend much of my initial saving I arrived with or see as much of the country as I initially intended to. Nevertheless I enjoyed my stay and have recently booked a flight for the 27th of May into Quebec to travel and explore the eastern side of Canada for approx 5 months.

I have no family within Canada but I do have many friends which I met while being in BC, some of which reside in Ontario/Quebec etc. whom of which I intend to visit and staying with during part of my travel.

The reason for my current unemployment is because I am only staying in the UK for a little over 1 month I do not see any reason to as I am 23 years of age and live in my parents’ house with previous savings.

I would be arriving at the Canadian border with:
• At least £4000 (7420.00 CD) in my bank account- (and official letter headed bank statement dated a couple days prior to my arrival)
• A return flight booked for 5 months later.
• Both of my parents have good secure jobs, are aware of my plans and would be more than willing to add funds to my bank accounts should I happen to need it.
• I will arrive with full travel insurance documents for the duration of my intended stay
• contact information of a friend on which I intend to stay with for part of my stay.
• Plus a letter from an employer that is expecting me to work for them once I have returned to UK.

My plans for once I arrive would be not be fixed as I intend to travel around and see which area I like/dislike. I would be intending to stay in hostels which from my research and previous experience within Canada should cost around 30/40 CD per night.

I understand the reasoning for why the border officers require certain information so I would make sure I have all of the document I have mentioned with me upon my arrival.

Many Thanks!
I would appreciate your opinion on any further issues/ documents that you would recommend I have with me.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry i forgot to mention that i am part way through qualifying to become an architect and in order to finish my qualification i would need to return to University here in the UK to do so. Although i have no written proof that i will be returning to University within 1 years time. - Would this also be seen as an insurance that i do intent of returning to the UK?
Old Apr 27th 2014, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

First of all I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my questions, but I did not anticipate receiving an answer from someone with as much experience as someone working for the CBSA and therefore I will now explain my situation in further detail.

I arrived back in the UK on the 16th of April 2014 after spending just under 12month in BC on a 12 month working holiday Visa. Due to the fact that i remained more stationary (never leaving the BC province) and worked for the duration of my stay, I did not spend much of my initial saving I arrived with or see as much of the country as I initially intended to. Nevertheless I enjoyed my stay and have recently booked a flight for the 27th of May into Quebec to travel and explore the eastern side of Canada for approx 5 months.

I have no family within Canada but I do have many friends which I met while being in BC, some of which reside in Ontario/Quebec etc. whom of which I intend to visit and staying with during part of my travel.

The reason for my current unemployment is because I am only staying in the UK for a little over 1 month I do not see any reason to as I am 23 years of age and live in my parents’ house with previous savings.

I would be arriving at the Canadian border with:
• At least £4000 (7420.00 CD) in my bank account- (and official letter headed bank statement dated a couple days prior to my arrival)
• A return flight booked for 5 months later.
• Both of my parents have good secure jobs, are aware of my plans and would be more than willing to add funds to my bank accounts should I happen to need it.
• I will arrive with full travel insurance documents for the duration of my intended stay
• contact information of a friend on which I intend to stay with for part of my stay.
• Plus a letter from an employer that is expecting me to work for them once I have returned to UK.

My plans for once I arrive would be not be fixed as I intend to travel around and see which area I like/dislike. I would be intending to stay in hostels which from my research and previous experience within Canada should cost around 30/40 CD per night.

I understand the reasoning for why the border officers require certain information so I would make sure I have all of the document I have mentioned with me upon my arrival.

Many Thanks!
I would appreciate your opinion on any further issues/ documents that you would recommend I have with me.
Now that its fully explained I don't foresee any problems on entering based on these facts but there is a very small chance that the examining officer could give you less time should they think to do so.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Now that its fully explained I don't foresee any problems on entering based on these facts but there is a very small chance that the examining officer could give you less time should they think to do so.
Again thanks for taking the time to reply. That’s reassuring to hear.

On a previous travel through Europe I have been involved in the (worldwide) wwoofing organisation if you are familiar with it. Would you know if it is legal to participate in the program in Canada on a tourist Visa as I am having trouble finding any official documentation on the subject?

I was going to phone the Canadian embassy about the matter but I was wondering if you are aware of the answer.

Thanks!
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Again thanks for taking the time to reply. That’s reassuring to hear.

On a previous travel through Europe I have been involved in the (worldwide) wwoofing organisation if you are familiar with it. Would you know if it is legal to participate in the program in Canada on a tourist Visa as I am having trouble finding any official documentation on the subject?

I was going to phone the Canadian embassy about the matter but I was wondering if you are aware of the answer.

Thanks!
Read this link on the WWOOF procedures
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2013/ob503.asp
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Read this link on the WWOOF procedures
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2013/ob503.asp
Thanks, that is exactly what i was looking for.