Entering Canada by rail

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 11:13 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Entering Canada by rail

I was wondering if anyone has done this and what their experience was. Or if anyone knows the procedure from entering the country by rail.

I'm waiting for my 2nd IEC to come through, at which point I'm thinking of going for a weekend in Portland, OR. How would I get my new permit on the train?

I've searched google and all I found was a horror story from a PR in Montreal
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering Canada by rail

Originally Posted by jennellapea
I was wondering if anyone has done this and what their experience was. Or if anyone knows the procedure from entering the country by rail.

I'm waiting for my 2nd IEC to come through, at which point I'm thinking of going for a weekend in Portland, OR. How would I get my new permit on the train?

I've searched google and all I found was a horror story from a PR in Montreal
I havent done it, but I have crossed the border while on a work permit, and frankly I dont think its going to be a very practical way to activate the visa. Typically the IOs walk the train checking documentation, they are not set up to issue new paperwork so I suspect they would have you off the train and it would go on without you.

This is just speculation though...
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Amrak website says:

Citizens of other countries who are permanent residents of Canada:

Entering Canada: Canadian Permanent Resident Card
Entering the United States: Passport (with visa, if required)
Citizens of all other countries who are not permanent residents of the United States or Canada:

Passport (with visa, if required)
Re-entry permit
Refugee permit

Id say that leaves little scope for having a TWP activated at the border.

Via rail say:

In the event that you experience problems at the border, the train may depart without you. VIA Rail Canada can assume no liability in this regard and your ticket will not be refunded or exchanged.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 25th 2013 at 1:12 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:40 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I personally wouldn't risk it - if the train goes on without you you're a bit stuck for what to do after they finish with you. As has been said, I don't think a lot of the train stations are equipped to be dealing with as much of the paperwork - you're better off trying to cross either at an airport or renting a car (some rental companies will let you take the car across the border, just not leave it across the border).

Good luck!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:15 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the answers guys. Neither I or my other half drive you see, that's why I was wondering about the train. I think I might just change my plans, easier all around then.

Thank you
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:39 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

It'll probably be more expensive then, but flying might be a safer option since there's no question about the airport being equipped to do what you need done, and no risk of missing your onward travel in case things don't go to plan!

Good luck, hope it goes smoothly!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Thanks for the answers guys. Neither I or my other half drive you see, that's why I was wondering about the train. I think I might just change my plans, easier all around then.

Thank you
Take a taxi, have it wait? Or have a friend drive you...

Last edited by iaink; Feb 25th 2013 at 5:28 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:09 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Immigration was done at the Vancouver station, not at the border when I traveled by train to BC from WA.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Immigration was done at the Vancouver station, not at the border when I traveled by train to BC from WA.
Did you not need a visa or other proof of Canadian status to board the train the other end though? Kind of like the PR card applying to commercial flights and bus routes....

I suppose a british passport doesnt need a visa per se, so it might work to get on the train. They are not going to be used to dealing with the paperwork though the other end...

Last edited by iaink; Feb 25th 2013 at 5:26 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road

On entering Canada on the Amtrak Seattle-Vancouver train, it doesn't stop at the border, but the immigration formalities take place at Vancouver Pacific Station. So you don't have to worry about the train going on without you.

Entering the US, passport control is also done in Vancouver, but the US customs officials get on the train at the border to pick up the customs forms and check for contraband I guess.

However, you may have to wait while they process everyone else, and they might not be set up to issue visas anyway.

If you have a nice friend who can drive you to Peace Arch, that's probably the quickest and simplest way...
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:26 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
That would be outbound though, right?

You need to be outside canada coming back in to activate a visa.

Still, worth asking them I suppose.
It was inbound, but I was a tourist visiting Canada.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by kimilseung
It was inbound, but I was a tourist and a year or two ago.
Sorry, figured that out... see edited post.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
Did you not need a visa or other proof of Canadian status to board the train the other end though? Kind of like the PR card applying to commercial flights and bus routes....

I suppose a british passport doesnt need a visa per se, so it might work to get on the train. They are not going to be used to dealing with the paperwork though the other end...
IIRC, the Amtrak staff in Seattle treat it as any other domestic service. I think you need photo ID.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:58 pm
Chips & Gravy

That's it though, I know nobody that drives so it sucks. And I'm not taking a taxi. Doesn't matter, I'll figure something out. I was just exploring the possibility (or lack there of) of using the train.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

That's it though, I know nobody that drives so it sucks. And I'm not taking a taxi. Doesn't matter, I'll figure something out. I was just exploring the possibility (or lack there of) of using the train.
You may be able to get transit... I know I looked into this, and it did seem possible (Albeit time-consuming).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.