English test, Andrew please

Old Aug 30th 2006, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

bold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English test, Andrew please

I just earned bachelor's degree from U.S. college. Do you think I can claim English language proficiency without taking an IELTS test?
Old Aug 30th 2006, 2:18 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English test, Andrew please

Hi

Originally Posted by bold
I just earned bachelor's degree from U.S. college. Do you think I can claim English language proficiency without taking an IELTS test?
Unless you grew up in an English speaking country, English was spoken at home, all your education was in English, then you are going to be asked for IELTS.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:31 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

No, you cannot, unless it is a degree in English Literature, English Language or you completed degree as English Teacher or Translator.

Old Aug 30th 2006, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Reghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to all

You should take the exam to be sure that you get the points required.

I have studied in English schools and I dont know how to read and write any other language. Still I took the exam so that i can be sure that I get all the 16 points.

regs
Old Aug 30th 2006, 11:51 am
Your goto Realtor

liquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the rough

It says you need to take test or provide a detailed letter explaining about your English skills and how much you wish to claim. That’s what I have decided to do and show evidence of this like English Language and English Literature which I did at school G.C.S.E's. All my past job positions required high level of communication in English so have evidence of this also. I also added reference letters as well which may help.

I think its good to take test to be on the safe side if you are short of points and need all 16
Old Aug 30th 2006, 5:36 pm

MapleLatte is an unknown quantity at this point

PMM - Your response really scares me (and so does Andrew's)!

I did not live in English-speaking countries until age 15, but since then I have been educated entirely in English (high school awarding a bilingual diploma), Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, two postgraduate diplomas), lived only in English-speaking countries and have been employed only by English employers, always working in English. I exclusively speak English at home.

Do you think they will ask me for test scores just because I did not spend my ENTIRE life in an English-speaking environment? I am more proficient in English than in my so-called mother tongue (and have been so for the past 14 years)!

Thanks! Your views or Andrew's would be much appreciated.

Last edited by MapleLatte; Aug 30th 2006 at 5:45 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 11:26 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

What scares you? Your proficiency in English or the fact that without IELTS test results you are at mercy of officer who must assess your English skills accordingly to the manual below:

http://www.language.ca/pdfs/clb_adults.pdf

How do you think officer will be able to assess your skills level in writing, reading, speaking and listening as per above manual based only on the fact that you completed English schools? English is not your first language, it is not your native language and it is not your mother's tongue - take the test if you want to be sure how many points you get.

How many times PMM, Jim, myself and many others have to say that IELTS is now required from everyone for who'm English is not a native language?

If you are confident about your proficiency in English then what is wrong with proving it by taking the test????

Originally Posted by MapleLatte
PMM - Your response really scares me (and so does Andrew's)!

I did not live in English-speaking countries until age 15, but since then I have been educated entirely in English (high school awarding a bilingual diploma), Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, two postgraduate diplomas), lived only in English-speaking countries and have been employed only by English employers, always working in English. I exclusively speak English at home.

Do you think they will ask me for test scores just because I did not spend my ENTIRE life in an English-speaking environment? I am more proficient in English than in my so-called mother tongue (and have been so for the past 14 years)!

Thanks! Your views or Andrew's would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:28 am
Your goto Realtor

liquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the rough

Hey Andrew, if its my native lang as was born, lived, and educated in this country whats the worst point they would award me. I have given letter with evidence to support my claims to get 16 points. I just wondered whats the percentage chance I will get what I want.
Is there ever a case where someone who has evidence and is UK born and educated get 0 points because they did not do test
Old Aug 31st 2006, 10:03 am

MapleLatte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
What scares you? Your proficiency in English or the fact that without IELTS test results you are at mercy of officer who must assess your English skills accordingly to the manual below:

http://www.language.ca/pdfs/clb_adults.pdf

How do you think officer will be able to assess your skills level in writing, reading, speaking and listening as per above manual based only on the fact that you completed English schools? English is not your first language, it is not your native language and it is not your mother's tongue - take the test if you want to be sure how many points you get.

How many times PMM, Jim, myself and many others have to say that IELTS is now required from everyone for who'm English is not a native language?

If you are confident about your proficiency in English then what is wrong with proving it by taking the test????
I am sorry if the question appeared so silly to you - but what is the point of wasting time and money on something that may not be necessary? I never needed to take tests to prove my English skills - it was always accepted that I am fluent in the language and I have tons of other papers to prove it!

English IS and always has been my first language, it is the only language I am fluent in - even though I might not have citizenship of an English-speaking country and did not attend English schools until age 15.

Thanks anyway for your time. I shall not post any questions on this board in the future.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 11:56 am
Your goto Realtor

nobody is forcing you to take the test. If your confident you have enough evidence to support your cliams then just go for it. But it is a risk if it is not your Native Lang. So its your choice