Employment references - help?

Old Jan 30th 2005, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Liverpool Lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment references - help?

Hi all...
Started visiting here a bit more regularly after finding the other Canadian ex pat site

Wondered if you could help with a question?

I knwo you have to account for all employment since the age of 18. Do you have to have letters of reference from all such employers? Whta if it was only a Saturday job or a temporary position? What if you can't get hold of the people you once worked for?

Any help would be much appreciated

Lou
Old Jan 30th 2005, 12:30 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment references - help?

Originally Posted by Liverpool Lou
Hi all...
Started visiting here a bit more regularly after finding the other Canadian ex pat site

Wondered if you could help with a question?

I knwo you have to account for all employment since the age of 18. Do you have to have letters of reference from all such employers? Whta if it was only a Saturday job or a temporary position? What if you can't get hold of the people you once worked for?

Any help would be much appreciated

Lou
Focus on the full time employment only and especially the past 5 to 10 years prior to your application.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Liverpool Lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Employment references - help?

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Focus on the full time employment only and especially the past 5 to 10 years prior to your application.
Thanks so much Jim Thank God for that!
You're a treasure
Old Jan 30th 2005, 4:18 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

What we did was get as many documents supporting each employment- contract of employment, employment cofirmation letter, end of employment letter if applicable for whatever reason. Letters of reference as best could be obtained. For people not responding to requests for references, or where people have moved on and HR will not provide reference or confirmation of employment, copy of letter sent to them to ask for a reference or any correspondence sent to us as a reply from them even if refusal. For older jobs with no supporting evidence, copies of old payslips or bank statement from years ago propvided by bank at no cost with relevant transaction highlighted to prove salary payment. Letter sent to us after sending off application was submitted later with file number on attached covering letter plus explanation.

Just do the best you can for gathering evidence for each employment period and collate in good clear order for officer to review.

All orginals copied and certified as originals by notary stamping and signing each sheet plus both our signatures (joint application for PR) on each page.

Phew - and it took just three months to do all that - a miracle !!

Best of luck.

Rich.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 7:47 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

we did exactly the same as Rich 007. Basically there are 2 Rules of thumb:

the more the better and
If you cannot get something, you have to prove that it was impossible, not just difficult or inconvenient but truely impossible.

Takes quite a bit of effort and time, but then again if you want to play it safe and have a shot at the interview waiver it will be worth it.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road

Hi Lou,

I cannot question Mr. Humpries answers but, I think that they do count internships and part time work. Of course better if you show full time employment.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:10 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Mr H said 'focus on' main employment, not ignore the other areas and employment history. For sure, include the experience and usefulness of these periods, but focus on full info for all relevant to your NOC codes and professional career periods of work. CIC wants to see how your 'claim' for professional ability/experience etc in one category are matched by proof of qualifications, career and profession. Early history and other stuff helps build a wide picture, especially if you are for example secondary applicant with wide range of experience and skills (eg general manager working in one part of business but in many sectors, industries etc, logistics manager working in freight, chilled/frozen goods, FMCG goods, etc), but for primary applicant as a professional eg nurse, doctor, engineer, blah blah, focus mainly on the NOC code and anything which supports that area. Other stuff is secondary but still needed.

Regards, hope this helps.

Rich.

Originally Posted by bhalerao
Hi Lou,

I cannot question Mr. Humpries answers but, I think that they do count internships and part time work. Of course better if you show full time employment.

Last edited by Rich_007; Jan 31st 2005 at 3:12 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:40 am
Just Joined

angelz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Just read this thread - I placed a similar query very recently as this had been bugging me for ages - only no one replied to mine - your tips are really helpful - I am finding that after 20 years of employment most of my jobs have moved on or have no record or my employ ment, I am now contacting the banks - I have also contacted the tax office - as I thought this may be another possibility. If the info is imcomplete does this mean no chance of emigration or do they simply integrate you with a lie detector test about your former employment sort of
" no not the comfy armchair ill confess to working for tesco's"
Originally Posted by Rich_007
What we did was get as many documents supporting each employment- contract of employment, employment cofirmation letter, end of employment letter if applicable for whatever reason. Letters of reference as best could be obtained. For people not responding to requests for references, or where people have moved on and HR will not provide reference or confirmation of employment, copy of letter sent to them to ask for a reference or any correspondence sent to us as a reply from them even if refusal. For older jobs with no supporting evidence, copies of old payslips or bank statement from years ago propvided by bank at no cost with relevant transaction highlighted to prove salary payment. Letter sent to us after sending off application was submitted later with file number on attached covering letter plus explanation.

Just do the best you can for gathering evidence for each employment period and collate in good clear order for officer to review.

All orginals copied and certified as originals by notary stamping and signing each sheet plus both our signatures (joint application for PR) on each page.

Phew - and it took just three months to do all that - a miracle !!

Best of luck.

Rich.