Employment records

Old Sep 16th 2001, 10:02 pm
Eb

Hi all -

Can someone please tell me how important it is to get letters from previous
employers. I used to be a IT contractor so I worked at many different companies for
varying periods of time. (some only a month)

Also will I have to give a letter from my current employer (Permanent position) I
would prefer my current employer doesn't know about my plans to emigrate.

Thanks in advance,

Old Sep 16th 2001, 10:26 pm
Andrew Miller

It is your burden to prove beyond any doubt that you have required work experience in
your intended occupation. I can see that it may be difficult for you to gather
letters from all places you worked as a contractor but you should do your best. Note
that you need not just letters stating that you worked for them - letters of
reference should provide detailed description of your work (duties and
responsibilities, tasks performed, periods, salaries, etc.). If you won't be able to
prove work experience in your intended occupation then you will not receive any
points for this factor and your application will be rejected.

As for the current employer - you don't need to disclose the reason you need a
detailed reference letter for. You may say that you need it for school or course you
want to enroll in or for some kind of professional certification.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 17th 2001, 12:10 pm
Berto Volpentesta

The burden is on you to demonstrate and prove to the officer that you = have the
experience in your intended occuaption including having = performed the duties of the
occupation including the main duties.

If you fail to provide the necessary proof the officer may have no other = option
than to refuse.

So, if you can get the letters, get them. If not, then perhaps there = are other
documents that could provide the same information. (payslips, = timesheets, employee
handbooks, evaluation reports, examples of your = work, company information may be
useful as well)

And, where you are unable to get a letter, you should at least explain = why and then
in your own words describe what you did, how you did it and = for how long.

--=20 Good luck,

Berto Volpentesta, B.A. (Spec. Hons.), B.Ed. Member, OPIC Director, OPIC and
Education Committee Chairman

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving people around the world since 1991

www.svcanada.com

>
    >
    >
previous
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
plans to
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 17th 2001, 12:27 pm
James Metcalfe

While the burden of proof rests with the applicant the burden also shifts back and
forth. I would take any records of payment, correpsondence, contracts etc as proof.

Incidently the test of compliance is not proof beyongd a resaonable doubt as in
criminal matters but " the balance of probability" which is the test in
administrative law matters such as the Immigrtaion Act and Regulations. In your case
your verbal evidence at an interview is not enough and you will have to back it up
with documents.

Jim Metcalfe

>
    >
    >
previous
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
to
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 18th 2001, 6:56 pm
Marco

Andrew,

this somewhat applies to me too. The way I understand it, the applicant only needs to
proof the things they (need to) claim. For employment that is not in my intended
occupation, I may only need to proof (for each month since my 18th birthday) that I
worked, at what places and what I earned (since that is mandatory information). For
my intended occupation I have a very detailed letter showing over two years of work
experience in this occupation. Two years is all I want to claim for relevant work
experience. Previous work experience was not in the intended occupation, and thus
might be disregarded anyway.

What's your view on this?

Thanks, Marco

Andrew Miller wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi all -[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Can someone please tell me how important it is to get letters from previous[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > employers. I used to be a IT contractor so I worked at many different companies[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for varying periods of time. (some only a month)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Also will I have to give a letter from my current employer (Permanent position) I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > would prefer my current employer doesn't know about my plans to emigrate.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks in advance,[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 18th 2001, 7:22 pm
Andrew Miller

Work experience in the other than your intended occupation cannot be simply
disregarded. You still need to provide at least basic information and evidence,
although you don't need to provide as many details as for employment experience
supporting your claim of having required work experience in your intended occupation.

--

../..

sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
needs
    >
intended
    >
that I
    >
information). For
    >
of work
    >
work
    >
thus
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > It is your burden to prove beyond any doubt that you have required work[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > experience in your intended occupation. I can see that it may be difficult[/usenetquote2]
for
[usenetquote2]> > you to gather letters from all places you worked as a contractor but you[/usenetquote2]
should
[usenetquote2]> > do your best. Note that you need not just letters stating that you worked[/usenetquote2]
for
[usenetquote2]> > them - letters of reference should provide detailed description of your[/usenetquote2]
work
[usenetquote2]> > (duties and responsibilities, tasks performed, periods, salaries, etc.). If[/usenetquote2]
you
[usenetquote2]> > won't be able to prove work experience in your intended occupation then you will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > not receive any points for this factor and your application will be rejected.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > As for the current employer - you don't need to disclose the reason you[/usenetquote2]
need a
[usenetquote2]> > detailed reference letter for. You may say that you need it for school or course[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > you want to enroll in or for some kind of professional[/usenetquote2]
certification.
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ../..[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > [email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > sending email)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ________________________________[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Hi all -[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Can someone please tell me how important it is to get letters from[/usenetquote2]
previous
[usenetquote2]> > > employers. I used to be a IT contractor so I worked at many different companies[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > for varying periods of time. (some only a month)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Also will I have to give a letter from my current employer (Permanent position)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I would prefer my current employer doesn't know about my plans[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > > emigrate.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Thanks in advance,[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 18th 2001, 8:37 pm
Marco

Thank you, that's exactly what I meant. As I understand it: as long as you can prove
your work history (as listed in IMM0008, Part B, Question 4) you should be fine.
This can also be by other means, i.e. contracts, payslips, income tax statements,
etc.and an explanation why you use this other means. I for one never asked my
previous employer for a letter because I was already hired by another company. The
detailed letter I was referring to is meant for (Berlin Office) Appendix C, item 6
"Additional Information". Here you are instructed to include specific evidence of
work history (contracts and letters of reference). This item also turns out to be a
well-hidden gem, since you can include any and all relevant information to prove
successful establishment in Canada and build a strong case for yourself. A detailed
letter showing relevant work experience in the intended occupation certainly
qualifies in my opinion. A lengthy letter listing all tasks and duties performed in
any previous, other occupation seems to me only a waste of the immigration officer's
time. I would like to keep my application as concise and to-the-point as possible,
providing adequate proof where required, but giving detailed and thorough
information where relevant.

Marco.

Andrew Miller wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Andrew,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > this somewhat applies to me too. The way I understand it, the applicant only[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > to proof the things they (need to) claim. For employment that is not in my[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > occupation, I may only need to proof (for each month since my 18th birthday)[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > worked, at what places and what I earned (since that is mandatory[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > my intended occupation I have a very detailed letter showing over two years[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > experience in this occupation. Two years is all I want to claim for relevant[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > experience. Previous work experience was not in the intended occupation, and[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > might be disregarded anyway.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > What's your view on this?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks, Marco[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Andrew Miller wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > It is your burden to prove beyond any doubt that you have required work[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > experience in your intended occupation. I can see that it may be difficult[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > you to gather letters from all places you worked as a contractor but you[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > do your best. Note that you need not just letters stating that you worked[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > them - letters of reference should provide detailed description of your[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > (duties and responsibilities, tasks performed, periods, salaries, etc.). If[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > won't be able to prove work experience in your intended occupation then you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > will not receive any points for this factor and your application will be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > rejected.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > As for the current employer - you don't need to disclose the reason you[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > detailed reference letter for. You may say that you need it for school or[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > course you want to enroll in or for some kind of professional[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > ../..[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > [email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > sending email)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > ________________________________[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > Hi all -[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Can someone please tell me how important it is to get letters from[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > employers. I used to be a IT contractor so I worked at many different[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > companies for varying periods of time. (some only a month)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Also will I have to give a letter from my current employer (Permanent[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > position) I would prefer my current employer doesn't know about my plans[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > emigrate.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Thanks in advance,[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 20th 2001, 4:09 pm
George Lee

"Andrew Miller" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
What if I have already filed my application and failed to provide adequate
information? Can I still resubmit these document to the Immigration at this stage? Do
the spouse employment record required the same std of documentation? Please help.
Thank you.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi all -[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Can someone please tell me how important it is to get letters from previous[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > employers. I used to be a IT contractor so I worked at many different companies[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for varying periods of time. (some only a month)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Also will I have to give a letter from my current employer (Permanent position) I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > would prefer my current employer doesn't know about my plans to emigrate.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks in advance,[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 20th 2001, 4:21 pm
Andrew Miller

Yes, you may submit missing documents if your application hasn't been returned or
refused and if you have a file number. It is strongly recommended to include spouse's
employment record as well to strengthen the case if possible.

--

../..

sending email)

"George Lee" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > It is your burden to prove beyond any doubt that you have required work[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > experience in your intended occupation. I can see that it may be difficult[/usenetquote2]
for
[usenetquote2]> > you to gather letters from all places you worked as a contractor but you[/usenetquote2]
should
[usenetquote2]> > do your best. Note that you need not just letters stating that you worked[/usenetquote2]
for
[usenetquote2]> > them - letters of reference should provide detailed description of your[/usenetquote2]
work
[usenetquote2]> > (duties and responsibilities, tasks performed, periods, salaries, etc.). If[/usenetquote2]
you
[usenetquote2]> > won't be able to prove work experience in your intended occupation then you will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > not receive any points for this factor and your application will be rejected.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > As for the current employer - you don't need to disclose the reason you[/usenetquote2]
need a
[usenetquote2]> > detailed reference letter for. You may say that you need it for school or course[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > you want to enroll in or for some kind of professional[/usenetquote2]
certification.
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > ../..[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > [email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > sending email)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ________________________________[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Hi all -[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Can someone please tell me how important it is to get letters from[/usenetquote2]
previous
[usenetquote2]> > > employers. I used to be a IT contractor so I worked at many different companies[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > for varying periods of time. (some only a month)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Also will I have to give a letter from my current employer (Permanent position)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I would prefer my current employer doesn't know about my plans[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > > emigrate.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Thanks in advance,[/usenetquote2]
    >