Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Employer Sponsored Visa for UK Psychiatric Nurse?

Employer Sponsored Visa for UK Psychiatric Nurse?

Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

kevin041 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employer Sponsored Visa for UK Psychiatric Nurse?

Hi,

We are currently assessing the best route forward for our future visa application. With the current hold on applications for FSW visas, I am wondering whether the Employer Sponsored Visa would be a worthwhile consideration.

However, on reading about the criteria for this visa, I wonder whether I qualify. I am a Mental Health / Psychiatric Nurse of 10 years.

Here is the general consensus on this visa route:

This type of Canadian work visas is quite often used by employers to get senior managers/executives into Canada. This visa can also be used for employing highly skilled individuals to fill a vacant position that has been validated in order to show that despite utmost recruitment efforts, it’s been impossible to find a suitable skilled person who is a permanent resident of Canada.

Are psychy nurses classed as 'highly skilled'? And are they in short supply in Canada, meaning it would be 'impossible' to find other nurses to fill any position I apply for?

Thank you,
Clair
Old Nov 28th 2012, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employer Sponsored Visa for UK Psychiatric Nurse?

It could be the way however I doubt a employer will look at you unless you have meet requirements and have either pass the Canadian Registered Psychiatric Nurse Examination or have eligibility to sit the exam required by one of the colleges for Mental Health Nurses. Have you started the process?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
It could be the way however I doubt a employer will look at you unless you have meet requirements and have either pass the Canadian Registered Psychiatric Nurse Examination or have eligibility to sit the exam required by one of the colleges for Mental Health Nurses. Have you started the process?
Hi Silverdragon,

Thanks for replying to my thread. I haven't started the process yet. I was initially looking at the FSW but with the current hold on applications I have been considering the employer sponsorship.

I'm currently making a list of all the health authorities with the intention if sending my CV to the ones I would like to work for.

Based on what you said in your post I'm thinking I may have to do a little more prep work before emailing my CV.

I cannot sit the Canadian Registered Psychiatric Nurse Examination unless I am physically him Canada, but I have read I can agree to take this exam no more than 6 months after securing employment and working in Canada. Is this true?

Also with regards the eligibility to sit the exam required by one of the colleges for Mental Health Nurses, I assume that means I need to pick an area of Canada, and apply to that specific college for Mental Health Nurses?

Thank you,
Clair

Last edited by kevin041; Nov 29th 2012 at 12:25 am.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

which province are you looking at working and living in? Although you have to be physically in Canada to sit the exam there is nothing that I can see that stops you from starting application process. Looked at Alberta's college for RMN and see nothing that says otherwise. There are only I think 5 provinces that accept RMN and you will have to apply to one of them and you will only be able to work in the 5 provinces. The other provinces will require you to be general trained and will not accept RMN

Last edited by Silverdragon102; Nov 29th 2012 at 12:43 am. Reason: add
Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:17 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Registered psychiatric nurses:

Completion of a university or college registered psychiatric nursing program is required.

Registration with a regulatory body is required in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia.

workingincanada.ca

Registered Psychiatric Nurses Colleges for each of the above Provinces

https://www.crpnbc.ca/

http://www.crpnm.mb.ca/

http://rpnascom.jumpstartdev.com/

http://www.crpna.ab.ca/imis15/CRPNAW...B/Default.aspx

Internationally trained Psychiatric Nurses info

(links to sites, too many to post)

Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

By 'Sponsored Employment Visa', do you mean a Temp Work Permit? If so, then if I were you I wouldn't bother.

FSW applications will reopen in Jan anyway, and there's no way you'd have a TWP before then. The LMO (the thing the employer has to apply for to prove they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian to do it) will take 3-4 months based on current timescales, then your TWP will take about the same amount of time.

So by the time you've found a job and waited for your LMO and TWP, it's going to be the middle of next year at the earliest.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
By 'Sponsored Employment Visa', do you mean a Temp Work Permit? If so, then if I were you I wouldn't bother.
Hi christmasoompa, I wasn't thinking of a Temp Work Permit. I am focusing on permanent only.

Thank you.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by siouxie
Registered psychiatric nurses:

Completion of a university or college registered psychiatric nursing program is required.

Registration with a regulatory body is required in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia.

workingincanada.ca

Registered Psychiatric Nurses Colleges for each of the above Provinces

https://www.crpnbc.ca/

http://www.crpnm.mb.ca/

http://rpnascom.jumpstartdev.com/

http://www.crpna.ab.ca/imis15/CRPNAW...B/Default.aspx

Internationally trained Psychiatric Nurses info

(links to sites, too many to post)

Thank you.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin041
Hi christmasoompa, I wasn't thinking of a Temp Work Permit. I am focusing on permanent only.

Thank you.
So which visa route are you thinking of? The quote in your first post is talking about a LMO application, which only relates to a TWP. There's no other visa where the employer has to prove they cannot find a Canadian to do the job.

If you can clarify, that would be great, as 'Employment Sponsored Visa' could cover loads of them!
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So which visa route are you thinking of? The quote in your first post is talking about a LMO application, which only relates to a TWP. There's no other visa where the employer has to prove they cannot find a Canadian to do the job.

If you can clarify, that would be great, as 'Employment Sponsored Visa' could cover loads of them!
Hi christmasoompa, not sure why you think I am looking for an LMO. It is my understanding that the employer sponsored visa is a bona fide route to PR.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi christmasoompa, not sure why you think I am looking for an LMO. It is my understanding that the employer sponsored visa is a bona fide route to PR.
You're misunderstanding me. There are various 'employer sponsored' routes to PR, and I'm trying to establish which one you're talking about. I now get that you aren't looking to go over on a TWP, but what you've quoted above ("in order to show that despite utmost recruitment efforts, it’s been impossible to find a suitable skilled person who is a permanent resident of Canada") is talking about a LMO - there is NO other visa route that requires a job to be advertised and prove it's been impossible to find a Canadian to do it. Hence why I assumed you were to start with.

The info you've quoted above obviously isn't from the CIC website, so I really wouldn't trust what you're reading as there is so much bad info out there on various websites. For instance, the quote says 'it's been impossible to find a suitable skilled person who is a permanent resident of Canada', but no mention of citizens which is rather odd!

I hope that clarifies it - the only reason I assumed you were looking at a LMO/TWP was because of the info in your first post, which isn't relevant for any other visa route.

There are other ways to get PR with a job offer, such as an AEO and then a FSW application, or a PNP application, but without knowing exactly what you're planning on applying for, nobody can really assist you properly, and that's why I was asking you to clarify.

HTH!
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I've just Googled the quote you posted above and had a look at the website it came from, and there is some appallingly inaccurate info on it! Don't bother with that any more, stick to the CIC website which will give you the correct info you need.

Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you.
There is also nothing wrong with coming over on a TWP and then going the PR route. I plus many others have done this. After just over 2 years we received Passport requests and just waiting for COPR so we can officially land
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Good info given.
The TWP route is probably the quickest way to come here to work as a nurse. This is the process for a Registered Nurse- the RMN I believe is similar.

As has been said, contact the relevant college of nursing and find out what you may need from a professional stance re- hours of practice etc.

Contact some hospitals within the areas you would like to practice and have yourself registered on their database, ensuring they know where you are in the process of obtaining eligability to practice.

Once you have the eligability to practice in your chosen provence, apply for jobs. When you are successful an LMO will be required and once you receive this, you would then apply for a TWP. Following that process you will come to Canada.
I can only speak for Alberta- CARNA will allow you to have a total of 3 x 6 month temporary licences, within that time you must sit and pass the Registered Nurse exam.
There will be the opportuinity to apply for PR via this provinces AINP.

Hope this helps and good luck