Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Emigrating to Canada by Student Visa-I'm Applied?

Emigrating to Canada by Student Visa-I'm Applied?

Old Aug 22nd 2009, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

chris_ryan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating to Canada by Student Visa-I'm Applied?

Hello.
I'm new on this Forum, I've read few topics, and I think you can help me. Do you?

So, this is my short story:
My name Is Chris, I'm 17 years old, and I live in Liverpool.
Before I came to England (because I'm from Poland), I was quit my school.
and Didn't done my Certificate of High School (seems to GSCE).
I live in England about 1 year.
And now, just want to move to Canada, because of Crim here.. many(I think.. most..) young people just thinking about beer, and partying.. terrible, but anyway.. this is not topic about it
now, I've just done ESOL Entry 2. so sorry for my English, if its bad.
and in September I'll start Entry 3 course. (Entry 3 is required to British Citizenship, so I think this is good level of language)
and now.. have I any chances to emigrate to Canada as a Student without GCSE certificate?
or I have to do it?
I've sent an e-mail to Seneca school about it(btw. Is this good college?), but no response.. (I've sent it just 3 days ago, so that's maybe reason )
and If I have to do it, than where can I? maybe you know any school in Liverpool which can teach me for GCSE exam?

and GCSE-is this exam in secondary school, or High School? Because it's difficult to understanding.. somebody says Secondary, somebody High School..

Is here anybody who had similar problem?

And.. If you wanna ask me about "why I didn't go to Polish pages".. I didn't because I just wanna forgot about Poland.. I really hate this country.. don't ask me why.

Ok, Thanks for help anyway.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 5:47 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to Canada by Student Visa-I'm Applied?

Have you given any thought as to how you are going to support yourself?

GCSE is secondary (high school same thing) school examinations in different subjects. You need more than one. At least 5 subjects to a high grade to get into most colleges. A high school diploma is equivalent (almost) to advanced level GCSE.

However many have come here with less and done well, but it is not so easy these days to get in. Being a minor (under age 18/19 depending on province) is going to make it harder unless you have parental consent.

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 22nd 2009 at 5:53 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Hm.. a just get about £20,000 on my bank account(I'll get it after 2 years working), (this is for fly, and school), and parental consent.
By the way, sorry I forgot tell You..
I wanna go for 2 years, so I'll be about 19
And for now I live with parents, and will go to work for making some money for School in Canada.(Do You know about usual costs for school in Canada?)

hm. what do you think about my plan:
1. Get ESOL Level 1 (after Entry 3) course.
2. Do GCSE test.
3. Try be accept in Seneca College (on IT course)
4. Get Student Visa
5. Fly to Canada.

And I have another plan:
1. Get ESOL Level 2 (highest level) course
2. Do GCSE test
3. Do A Level.
4. Then get Visa, and fly.

which of these is better?

and by the way.
Can I use my Lloyds Bank account in Canada? or have to make new one, in local bank?

And I need A level (Advanced GCSE), or just GSCE is enough?

Last edited by chris_ryan; Aug 22nd 2009 at 10:48 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris_ryan
Hm.. a just get about £20,000 on my bank account(I'll get it after 2 years working), (this is for fly, and school), and parental consent.
£20k won't be enough I'm afraid, you'll have to pay international tuition fees (expensive) and show $10k as living expenses for each year of study. So you'll need to save up for a bit longer.

And I'd look in to the youth in Canada, funnily enough they like to party too! But it's usually weed instead of beer there.

Good luck.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
£20k won't be enough I'm afraid, you'll have to pay international tuition fees (expensive) and show $10k as living expenses for each year of study. So you'll need to save up for a bit longer.

And I'd look in to the youth in Canada, funnily enough they like to party too! But it's usually weed instead of beer there.

Good luck.
But I guess there everybody don't has a Knife's aswell like in Britain ?
many people are Rasist? (I don't talking about British.. many Muslim people are rasist.. :/) aren't they?
I fought few times, but.. If somebody has a Knife.. It's not fair..

so £20k won't be enough.. but if I'll working in Campus? then? It'll be enough?
£20k is really god money.. So I can't believe It isn't enough..
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:31 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

many people are Rasist? (I don't talking about British.. many Muslim people are rasist.. :/) aren't they?

I'd say, where i live, the drinking issues and crime is split evenly between Eastern Europeans (Polish to name a few) and the locals. In Canada i'd worry more about a person carrying a gun rather than a knife.

But that's irrelevant.

It looks like Seneca fees for International students are over $10k per year plus your living expenses. So i'd say that £20k isn't enough.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest you do a search of the forums on the racism and crime issue. That will give you your answer, or at least other people's opinions of those things in Canada. If you're looking to escape those things, I don't think Canada is the country for you (although not sure where would be, unfortunately they exist everywhere).

And you can't count on being able to work on campus - what if you can't find a job? And even if you can, that's only 20 hours a week so won't bring in much compared to how much you'll be spending. El_richo kindly looked up the international tuition fees, so looks as though you'll need $20k per year as a minimum to give you an idea of what to aim for.

Old Aug 29th 2009, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

hm, ok.. you right..
I'll stay in Britain..
actually I don't met any racist attacks, but I've heard about it.. maybe the people who said it to me, they're wrong? I hope ;D
anyway, thanks for help, and explaining this stuff..

Greetings.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

2 people got stabbed and died on the weekend in Vancouver, wake up buddy young people only think about drinking beer, smoking weed and partying, and like el-richo said you need to worry about guns in Canada and not knives BUT crime is everywhere and i live in a town where it is over run by polish people and they love to hang on street corners drinking beer day and night and being racist towards anyone who is not polish..........

MR79
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

ScottishJen is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also looking into courses at Seneca in Toronto.
The fees are $11,200 per year.
I have been onto the government website - they require proof of funding for tuition fees plus $10,000 living expenses - but I'm unsure from their guidance notes whether they want proof of funding for all the years of a course - or just the first 12 months upfront? i.e. for a four year degree do they want proof of $44,800 plus $40,000 living expenses? Does anyone know please?
Also - just to clarify one of the above points made - it does appear from the Seneca website that students can work 20 hours per week OFF campus (unlike at US colleges) in addition to 40 hours per week during holidays. Correct me if I'm wrong tho. But if this is the case - then at least in a big city like Toronto the chances of getting some sort of p-t employment are that much better!

Last edited by ScottishJen; Aug 30th 2009 at 9:29 am.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 5:35 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by ScottishJen
I am also looking into courses at Seneca in Toronto.
The fees are $11,200 per year.
I have been onto the government website - they require proof of funding for tuition fees plus $10,000 living expenses - but I'm unsure from their guidance notes whether they want proof of funding for all the years of a course - or just the first 12 months upfront? i.e. for a four year degree do they want proof of $44,800 plus $40,000 living expenses? Does anyone know please?
Also - just to clarify one of the above points made - it does appear from the Seneca website that students can work 20 hours per week OFF campus (unlike at US colleges) in addition to 40 hours per week during holidays. Correct me if I'm wrong tho. But if this is the case - then at least in a big city like Toronto the chances of getting some sort of p-t employment are that much better!
1. First Years tuition and first years living expenses.
2. You can't work off campus for the first 6 months and must have satisfactory standing.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

crime is everywhere and i live in a town where it is over run by polish people and they love to hang on street corners drinking beer day and night and being racist towards anyone who is not polish..........
Like I said, I don't feel like a polish.. I hate Poland, because the government is seek.. and people.. they kill, and fight anybody "because it's fun.."
I hate that country, also because of this.. Polish people is most racist in the UK aswell..
but this is not topic about it.