Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Emigrating British family turned away from Canada because their daughter is disabled

Wikiposts

Emigrating British family turned away from Canada because their daughter is disabled

Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:36 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigrating British family turned away from Canada because their daughter is disab

Originally Posted by derekgoforth
new slant yes, does not change the fact that the canadian government have acted in a completly immoral way. you really want to live in a country that turns away children with learning difficulties? couldnt they see past this and see what a positive contribution the family could have made, seem like a bunch of inefficient morons to me

Who you call morons?

Canada accept a lot of immigrants, every year per capita of population more than any other country, several times more per capita than US for example.

We have laws who state who may and who may not be admitted.

The family in question was already refused PR visas on the grounds of medical inadmissibility in 2005. Read the article here:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1069617.html

Instead of trying to find the way to show that their daughter's medical condition will not be burden of Canadian health and other programs they decided to take a risk, sold everything in UK and flew to Canada. Of course their PR refusal popped up at the examining officer at the POE screen and they were admitted for the short period only. If you read the above article you'll see that there is much more to it than family is saying to all medias in Canada and UK.

They were mistaken thinking that PNP approval (which they still didn't have anyway) will waive medical inadmissibility. It won't.

They were mistaken claiming that law regarding medical inadmissibility changed - it didn't. There is only a court decision suggesting CIC to consider financial resources of applicant (and only in Business class, mainly for Investors) when assessing excessive demand. And only to consider, not to waive anything automatically:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...tins/ob037.asp

Family didn't apply as Investors, they applied for PNP under community support stream. Thus, the said court decision and CIC operational bulletin don't apply to them no matter what.

The law requires medical officer assessing medical inadmissibility to determine if predictable cost for social and health services applicant will require are exceeding the threshold clearly defined by law - if threshold is exceeded than person is inadmissible, period. And it was already found in 2005 that family is inadmissible - such inadmissibility doesn't just expire, family is inadmissible until decision is changed.

Who are the morons?

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Aug 8th 2008 at 8:39 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Emigrating British family turned away from Canada because their daughter is disab

Hi Andrew,
The guy just seems to have a serious beef:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552454
So don't take too much notice of the name calling..
Cheers
Tim
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

new slant yes, does not change the fact that the canadian government have acted in a completly immoral way. you really want to live in a country that turns away children with learning difficulties? couldnt they see past this and see what a positive contribution the family could have made, seem like a bunch of inefficient morons to me
As has been already commented you appear to now be heading for Australia instead of Canada. Maybe you are not aware that Australia also has various stringent entry requirements, including passing a medical.

From my reading of this case it seems that the family took it on themselves to move to Canada even though they knew that their child had failed the medical, and that is why they have been sent home.

Far from being immoral this is just a fair application of the immigration rules, surely - and Australia would act in the same way - if one member of the famil fails their medical than the family will not get PR. Simple. Nothing to do with immorality, and all to do with application of the law.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:28 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As has been already commented you appear to now be heading for Australia instead of Canada. Maybe you are not aware that Australia also has various stringent entry requirements, including passing a medical.

From my reading of this case it seems that the family took it on themselves to move to Canada even though they knew that their child had failed the medical, and that is why they have been sent home.

Far from being immoral this is just a fair application of the immigration rules, surely - and Australia would act in the same way - if one member of the famil fails their medical than the family will not get PR. Simple. Nothing to do with immorality, and all to do with application of the law.
And Britain would likely act the same way had the situation been revered.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
And Britain would likely act the same way had the situation been revered.
Indeed they probably would
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:15 am
Account Closed

derekgoforth is an unknown quantity at this point

i seriously doubt that is true, since the uk do not have such strict/ unfair medical quals. i believe the family were very foolish, (i think this goes without saying although many people seemed they had to say it) however the end result is canada have lost out on a good family because they felt the country could not cope with the girls illness. yes it is possible that aus could have done the same thing , but i do know of similar cases being approved for aus immi and the story was not about the uk of aus or france or germany or tibet or nepal or laos or birmingham of my street, it was about canada so i commented on canada. i think they are morons simply because all the people i have heard about or dealt with in CA immi have been such
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:18 am
Account Closed

derekgoforth is an unknown quantity at this point

moral/ immoral

def. Of or concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and character: moral scrutiny; a moral quandary.

nowt to do with law, what they did was immoral
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:31 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

and heres the link to the rather 1 sided report that was on ITv local news yesterday

http://www.itvlocal.com/london/news/?void=221277

again - no comment about the previous refusal!

ah well maybe it will reduce the number of people applying if they think thats what they r up against

then we should all hear quicker when we sibmit our apps !
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

i seriously doubt that is true, since the uk do not have such strict/ unfair medical quals. i believe the family were very foolish
The United Kingdom does not have any medical criteria for migration. But that is indicative of the foolishness that is rampant in Britain today. It is also a reason why certain diseases that had been thought eradicated by the mid 1990s are spreading once again.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon

ah well maybe it will reduce the number of people applying if they think thats what they r up against

then we should all hear quicker when we sibmit our apps !
I admire your optimism 4bells...
Its funny how in that interview they kept going on about being refused to enter Canada for a holiday....Well I know some of you ladies pack a lot of stuff () but moving the contents of your entire house would be pushing it wouldn't it..Its just a shame that people hearing about the story that don't know the truth could get the wrong impression...The media eh:curse:
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:53 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tim Steer
I admire your optimism 4bells...
Its funny how in that interview they kept going on about being refused to enter Canada for a holiday....Well I know some of you ladies pack a lot of stuff () but moving the contents of your entire house would be pushing it wouldn't it..Its just a shame that people hearing about the story that don't know the truth could get the wrong impression...The media eh:curse:
I know tim - I teach at the local health club and a lot of them read the Daily mail etc. . .They know we are heading to Canada, ooh the comments this morning - - -

yr lucky yr all healthy, ooh wouldnt want to there with their attitiude etc..

I pointed them to expats and said there was a lot more to the story than the one side reporting we are seeing over here!
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes indeed..I have had to give a few people the full story aswell..its amazing how it impacts the original impression when you give them all the details...
Old Aug 9th 2008, 5:29 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

The bottom line is that there a rules and regulations in place and whether we like them or not they have to be met/adhered to.

Last edited by nikki dreaming; Aug 9th 2008 at 6:31 am.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 5:38 am
half a century

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
The bottom line is are that there a rules and regulations in place and whether we like them or not they have to be met/adhered to.
indeed - and we bring up our children to respect rules and regulatiuons, so should we. ..

hmm maybe thats why uk is going tp pot as people arent bringing kids up to respect rules etc . .
but hey thats a whole nother matter innit bro!
Old Aug 9th 2008, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

i seriously doubt that is true, since the uk do not have such strict/ unfair medical quals. i believe the family were very foolish, (i think this goes without saying although many people seemed they had to say it) however the end result is canada have lost out on a good family because they felt the country could not cope with the girls illness. yes it is possible that aus could have done the same thing , but i do know of similar cases being approved for aus immi and the story was not about the uk of aus or france or germany or tibet or nepal or laos or birmingham of my street, it was about canada so i commented on canada. i think they are morons simply because all the people i have heard about or dealt with in CA immi have been such
Thank goodness you have decided not to come to Canada

However Canada has lost a fantastic teacher Which subject do you teach English?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.