Electronic TEF

Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:20 am
...must stay calm..!

Jules-nearly-inCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Electronic TEF

Originally Posted by canduc996
Hello Jules, they don't make it easy do they. I suppose the other option is to take the TEF early and hope that the year validity period doesn't run out before your 90 day letter arrives. But seeing as the arrival date is an unknown, that's a non starter too. Good luck in Paris
I think, having looked at the paperwork again today, that you can take the test as soon as you have submitted your short form application and it will remain valid until your other documents are requested. Had I realised that before I would have got organised! Suddenly there seems to be so much to do! Anyway, good luck to you too, if it's any use the LSI in Paris were delighted to speak with me in English today and they make it very easy to understand the whole process, it's chepaer too, only 200 Euros, which makes the eurostar fare justifiable. Good luck!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:29 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I took mine well over a year before we had our 90 day letter and no update was requested.

Have fun in Paris Jules. The atmosphere may help you with the test, a mini immersion.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

canduc996 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by fledermaus
It's up to you of course but the link I gave to CIC says

Note: You must submit results from the following TEF tests as proof of your French language skills:

* compréhension écrite
* compréhension orale
* expression écrite
* expression orale

(my red highlighting)
I interpret "must" as an imperative. I haven't heard of anyone that hasn't taken the optional ones, and everyone that was with me when I sat the exams was applying to Canada. Maybe there is someone out there who can help with that.
By only taking 50% of the tests you are reducing your chances of getting the points, and if you need the points then why take the risk? IMO the orale was the easiest part.
Hello again, I don't doubt what you say as you have already been there and taken that test.
My reasoning for thinking that you could sit only the compulsory part was threefold. 1. The other part was called optional. 2. An approved centre (LSI) in London breaks down different prices for the compulsory part and the optional part, suggesting that you can pay for and sit one part. 3. The CIC website breaks down the points available for the 4 categories you have listed as opposed to granting points for all categories combined. However, that said, you have already learnt from experience and that is what counts. Thanks
Can you tell me where you took the TEF and your opinion on if it was a good centre to use. Easy to find, well organised etc, etc.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by canduc996
Hello again, I don't doubt what you say as you have already been there and taken that test.
My reasoning for thinking that you could sit only the compulsory part was threefold. 1. The other part was called optional. 2. An approved centre (LSI) in London breaks down different prices for the compulsory part and the optional part, suggesting that you can pay for and sit one part. 3. The CIC website breaks down the points available for the 4 categories you have listed as opposed to granting points for all categories combined. However, that said, you have already learnt from experience and that is what counts. Thanks
Can you tell me where you took the TEF and your opinion on if it was a good centre to use. Easy to find, well organised etc, etc.
Hi, I went to the London one, near Baker Street and Marylebone, and it was ok. My problem was that the listening part involves then playing a tape which you had to answer questions on. It was very poor quality and as I rely on lip reading I only scored 3 marks or something on that. Generally they were helpful and friendly and the site is pretty central so you can wizz down to Selfridges for some quality time.

The amount of info you have to absorb for this Canadian lark is confusing but the thing to remember is that the TEF isn't only for CIC, and when they say optional they mean for Alliance Francaise's purposes.

Its even more confusing when you try to work out the mark brackets allocated by TEF, and the brackets allocated by CIC, they aren't the same. I think its on that webpage somewhere.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:21 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

I believe Edinburgh Alliance Francaise can organise it with 4 weeks notice if it helps.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

richmag69 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I took the TEF last year in London I only completed the compulsory section as I just needed 2 points. I managed it on the 3rd attempt and got 1 pt in written comprehension and 1 pt in oral comprehension. I received my PR visa at the beginning of this year. Unfortunately if you are successful in getting your visa they don't give you a breakdown of where you scored the points! So I can't confirm if they did credit me with 2 points for french but I can't see where else I got the points from. I like you was only claiming french in oral and written comprehension so didn't see the point in paying extra money to take an exam in something I wasn't claiming points for and knew that I would fail just to get a null report to comply with the wording. Good Luck.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:30 am
...must stay calm..!

Originally Posted by mclauchlan35
I believe Edinburgh Alliance Francaise can organise it with 4 weeks notice if it helps.
I spoke with them today and they can do it in February, incredibly helpful up there, I'm thinking that perhaps if the Canadan Embassy gets wind of the problems they might put a little more pressure on the UK institutions to open up more dates - the London agency had a sitting last Thursday and don't have another until 15th January, I suspect they may have to 'up' the ante a little to cover demand.....
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by richmag69
When I took the TEF last year in London I only completed the compulsory section as I just needed 2 points. I managed it on the 3rd attempt and got 1 pt in written comprehension and 1 pt in oral comprehension. I received my PR visa at the beginning of this year. Unfortunately if you are successful in getting your visa they don't give you a breakdown of where you scored the points! So I can't confirm if they did credit me with 2 points for french but I can't see where else I got the points from. I like you was only claiming french in oral and written comprehension so didn't see the point in paying extra money to take an exam in something I wasn't claiming points for and knew that I would fail just to get a null report to comply with the wording. Good Luck.
Maybe if you had taken the whole thing first time you would have got points for the other sections?? That would have saved time, money and effort surely.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I've just read the whole of this thread and as far as I am aware everything Fledermaus has stated is correct. They ask you to sit all 4 sections, including the 'optional' ones - all are requested by CIC for the purposes of Canadian immigration. I sat the TEF at Alliance Francaise in Manchester in April 2006, well over a year before my 90 day letter arrived. I managed to get 6 out of the 8 available points, I was very pleasantly surprised! I even managed 1 point for speaking and 2 for listening which I would definitely say I felt least confident about. The style for the listening section can catch you out as it comes so fast so it's easy to miss it - although the tapes and books really help prepare you for that without a doubt.

I would think that you can't avoid going to a testing centre as the speaking section is with a real person even if you do this other e-TEF for the written sections...

Hope you get something sorted,

Adele

Last edited by adele; Nov 10th 2008 at 10:15 am.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:22 am
...must stay calm..!

...LOVING your maple leaf tattoo....! J )
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules-nearly-inCanada
...LOVING your maple leaf tattoo....! J )
Thanks! It's near the top of my left thigh. I got it done in Vancouver on 1st August (Yorkshire Day!) in 2004 - sort of as a symbol of determination to return as a PR...and I will finally land on 20th January 2009

A x
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:13 pm
...must stay calm..!

Originally Posted by adele
Thanks! It's near the top of my left thigh. I got it done in Vancouver on 1st August (Yorkshire Day!) in 2004 - sort of as a symbol of determination to return as a PR...and I will finally land on 20th January 2009

A x
Fab! Funnily enough I had one done by a one-legged native american man called Percy in Vancouver in 2000... no really, I did!! Waiting to get back (hopefully by July 2009) to get it covered up with something as I don't like it anymore, maple leaves seem wonderfully appropriate. Good luck with your move, are you all booked up? Where are you moving to?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:19 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

I spoke with them today and they can do it in February, incredibly helpful up there, I'm thinking that perhaps if the Canadan Embassy gets wind of the problems they might put a little more pressure on the UK institutions to open up more dates - the London agency had a sitting last Thursday and don't have another until 15th January, I suspect they may have to 'up' the ante a little to cover demand.....

When I spoke to them they told me that they could arrange it with 4 weeks notice. Must be one of those places where it depends who you speak too
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

richmag69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Maybe if you had taken the whole thing first time you would have got points for the other sections?? That would have saved time, money and effort surely.
If you knew how bad my french was you wouldn't say that! I had no knowledge of french before the exam so knew that I would not be able to write an essay or hold a conversation. There is a whole lot of difference between picking out written or spoken words to get the gist of the sentence compared to forming a sentence and using the correct vowel tense etc. Even if I had taken all 4 parts and passed the most points I can be awarded at the basic level is 2 pts anyway. The fact that it took me 3 attempts shows how bad I am and you must admit that speaking and writing are harder than listening and reading.
However, I would say that if anyone has at least a basic grasp of french it probably is worth trying all 4 parts. I am just saying what I did and I know that the CIC site says you have to take all 4 as did Alliance Francais when I spoke to them but I just applied a bit of common sense and it seemed to work for me.
Anyway none of this helps canduc and jules as I agree with biiiiink that there is no way you can do it online from home because of the proof of identity problem - looks like it is Paris for both of you.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Fab! Funnily enough I had one done by a one-legged native american man called Percy in Vancouver in 2000... no really, I did!! Waiting to get back (hopefully by July 2009) to get it covered up with something as I don't like it anymore, maple leaves seem wonderfully appropriate. Good luck with your move, are you all booked up? Where are you moving to?
Thanks, yes all booked up - moving back to Vancouver on 20th Jan, flying with BA out of Manchester. Lots of sorting out still to do, and time is going so fast...!

All the best with your plans,

Adele

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.