Electrical Exams Preperation

Old Sep 17th 2006, 5:41 pm
long hard slog...done it

SpeC will become famous soon enoughSpeC will become famous soon enough
Default Electrical Exams Preperation

Hi Everyone,
I haven't been around for a while but have recently done our Meds, so we must be getting closer to the finishing line (I hope).
I am a qualified UK Sparky currently working as a Project Manager & was wondering how I go about transferring my Elec qualifications to allow me to work as a sparky in Canada (if I can't get a managerial post).
Is there anything I can do while still in the UK to speed the process up.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 9:07 pm
AOR 16th August 2004

tirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Electrical Exams Preperation

Originally Posted by SpeC
Hi Everyone,
I haven't been around for a while but have recently done our Meds, so we must be getting closer to the finishing line (I hope).
I am a qualified UK Sparky currently working as a Project Manager & was wondering how I go about transferring my Elec qualifications to allow me to work as a sparky in Canada (if I can't get a managerial post).
Is there anything I can do while still in the UK to speed the process up.

Thanks in advance.
Hello SpecC, My husband is also an Electrician but I will have to answer on his behalf at the moment. I hope this helps, this is what he did.
We contact Alberta Advanced Education ([email protected]) who look at the forms we completed proving work experience and decide if you have enough relevant work based experience to do the theory exam. If you have then they give you a 6 month ticket to work until you pass it (2 goes). the books can be ordered on line. The apprenticeship website where you will obtain the information for most of what you need to get is www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca. They are on 20th edition. It is not an easy exam.
The application that we printed off the web was the Qualification Certificate and you have to get your employers to sign to confirm that you have the experience (if I remember rightly it is about 8 years worth). Harley will then call these people and check them out!
We e-mailed Paul's and he didn't ask for the original. He was a bit snowed under but he is getting through them as they are so short of sparky's.
We did our meds on the 22/08 too, hoping to get our PPR soon and are heading for Calgary. You are welcome to ask for any other information. We have been given loads of pointers on this site so it is good to help if we can. Good luck and happy landings.