EE - who to make main applicant?

Old Mar 16th 2024, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Poppy24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EE - who to make main applicant?

Evening all,

I'm new to the forum and hoping for a bit of guidance completing the express entry profile, specifically who to make the principle applicant.

Just for a bit of background (and trying to summarise as much as possible), we've procrastinated for years about whether or not to make the move to Canada (BC). We've recently had some changes in our personal & work circumstances that have made us feel like the time is right & it's something we have to at least try (a bit 'now or never' type of thing!).

We are age 40 & 41 and will be well below the points threshold to get an ITA without a job offer (could kick myself for not doing it nearly a decade ago!). I'm a registered dietitian and my jobs on the skills shortlist for BC, so I believe I am right in thinking I would potentially be eligible for BC PNP (after completing the EE profile) with a job offer. But I would first need to apply to have my credentials recognised in BC (possibly with upgrading needed), which I'm guessing could take a good couple of years.

My husband is a senior manager in the construction industry. Another route we have been exploring is for him to try to secure a job offer to then enable us to come over on a temporary work permit first. We are planning a recce trip to BC in a few weeks so my husband can make face to face meetings with some connections he has made from the UK. However, we appreciate this a difficult route to take and the chances of finding an employer willing/able to hire him with the LMIA requirements would be a challenge to say the least!

I wanted to get started with the EE profile before we headed over to Canada, but I'm just not sure who to make the principle applicant. I have more points at the moment (427) as I'm slightly younger and I have a 'degree needed to practice in a licensed profession'. My husband scores 380 - but with a job offer the points increased to 580 on the CRS tool & I felt like it would be quicker for him to get a job offer (hopefully!) than for me to wait to be licensed for work in BC.

I'd be really grateful for some guidance on what's the best way to do this? Could we both complete a profile as the main applicant and then just update the one that has progress first?!

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Mar 17th 2024, 6:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EE - who to make main applicant?

Hi, welcome to BE.

Personally, I would hold off for now - if you know you won't score enough and you're well below then there's not much point in paying for an ECA and IELTS which may expire, until you actually have a job offer. But if you do decide to apply now then both of you should apply to maximise your chances, and then whoever gets a job offer first can add that to the profile.

What's your husbands NOC code?
Old Mar 17th 2024, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Poppy24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Thanks very much for your reply, that's really helpful. How long do the language test results and ECA stay valid for?

My husband's NOC code is 70010 (we've reviewed the main duties as well as job titles). Another thing we are unsure of is how you actually secure a temporary work permit if/when he is able to get a job offer. Is this something an employer applies for on our behalf? Would this then entitle me (as his spouse) to work as well?

Many thanks
Old Mar 17th 2024, 11:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy24
Hi. Thanks very much for your reply, that's really helpful. How long do the language test results and ECA stay valid for?

My husband's NOC code is 70010 (we've reviewed the main duties as well as job titles). Another thing we are unsure of is how you actually secure a temporary work permit if/when he is able to get a job offer. Is this something an employer applies for on our behalf? Would this then entitle me (as his spouse) to work as well?

Many thanks
OK, so if his NOC is 70010 then that's 50 points for a job offer rather than 200. Unfortunately that means neither of you would be scoring enough even with a job offer, so I'd definitely hold off on the EE app for now. You would need to either work for a year or two in Canada first to get your points score up, or get provincial nomination.

You'd apply for the work permit (and as both jobs are 'skilled' then the spouse would also be able to work and get an open work permit for the same duration), but the employer must apply for the LMIA. Or if you decide to go down the PNP route instead, then the employer would need to help with that too.

HTH, good luck with the job hunting.