EE questions

Old Dec 24th 2016, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

El Supremo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EE questions

Hi, I'm planning on starting an express entry profile in the coming months and have a few questions which I'm hoping you kind folks can help with.

IELTS v CELPIP

My understanding is that IELTS is paper based and CELPIP is largely computer based. As a native English speaker, is one test provider preferable to the other? I hope to get top marks and so am hoping to find the test which is most likely to recognise my native English speaking abilities.

Education Credentials Assessment

I know that there is a list of recognised assessors on the CIC website. I'm considering going with WES as they claim to make an assessment within 20 business days. I've completed a law degree and Legal Practise Course (postgraduate diploma) and so hoping that these are recognised collectively as an 'Entry to Practise Professional Degree'. Will I get points for both certificates? Additionally, is there a preferred assessor?

Work Experience

What is usually accepted by CIC? I'm assuming something along the lines of the following:
- letter from employer
- employment contract

As always, all help is greatly appreciated.

Old Dec 24th 2016, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EE questions

We took the IELTS test. No idea whether it is easier or harder than the other one. As long as you do a few practice papers (free online) to get used to the style of questions you will be fine.

My wife is an English qualified solicitor and had her qualifications assessed by IQAS. They came back within a month and the law degree was recognised as a "professional" degree earning the higher EE points.

For work experience, she got letters from employers stating salary, hours and responsibilities etc. There is some guidance on what info it needs to include on the CIC website and a google search will give you some ideas. We found that preparing a draft letter for the employer to review and print off worked well as it required minimum effort for the employer so turnaround was quick. You might want to start arranging the letters early in the process as once you get an ITA you only have 60 days to submit everything which is not long and stressful when you are relying on someone else!

Are you planning to re-qualify in law in Canada? My wife has almost finished the transfer exams (1 to go) so let me know if you have any questions.

HTH
Old Dec 24th 2016, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EE questions

I have noticed people seem to do marginally better on CELPIP than IELTS (but that's a personal observation). Frankly I don't think it will make much difference to the CLBs that you get. The only person I know recently who got straight 9s (top mark on IELTS) was a non-native English speaker. You don't need to study grammar if you are a native speaker but you do need to do some practice tests: the more the better.

A problem native speakers sometimes have is assuming when they do the speaking bit is that they don't need to elaborate because the person examining them knows what they mean (as another native English speaker) but if you don't say much, there's nothing to examine you on.

CELPIP will probably be easier to get a space on and you probably won't be at the test centre as long. However, IELTS is recognized more widely. If it's only for Canadian immigration, it doesn't matter which you select.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 24th 2016 at 10:52 pm.