EE with my family.

Old Aug 29th 2018, 7:57 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EE with my family.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Her ACA is a professional qualification, not an academic one and for EE purposes won't give you any points for education. As has been said, her A levels would correspond to Grade 12 in Canada.

Have you considered or looked into the potential to sign up with the Canadian Forces? I recall a poster managing to do this .. might be worth a read of these threads.. paying attention to Navyboy's posts (who is one of the ones who managed it)

Canadian Armed Forces Fast Track citizenship application
Any expats joined the Canadian Forces?

Can I transfer from the U.K. armed Forces into the Canadian Forces?

As an aside, your wife would need to get her UK credential recognised before being able to work as a Chartered Accountant in Canada.
https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/become-a...al-recognition
I don't think this is strictly true. If she is still a registered ACA with the ICAEW in the UK, she is entitled to use those letters after her name. You do not have to be qualified in any way to work in accounts or accounting in Canada - same as in the UK. What she can't do is pass herself off as a Canadian qualified accountant. The Canadian equivalent is a CPA (Chartered Professional Accountant) and there is a reciprocal agreement between the two bodies which means an easy equivalency can be obtained. If an employer, for example, wishes to employ you as an accountant, whether you're qualified or not, is entirely up to them.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 8:06 am
Just Joined

shorty8118 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply’s.
She is looking at CPA at the minute.
Is their another route other than EE we could go down?
Old Aug 29th 2018, 8:17 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shorty8118
Thank you for your reply’s.
She is looking at CPA at the minute.
Is their another route other than EE we could go down?
If she converts her ACA into CPA, gets a job with a LMIA, wouldn't you have enough points for Express Entry? I know my wife would love a UK trained ACA on her team!
Old Aug 29th 2018, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
If she converts her ACA into CPA, gets a job with a LMIA, wouldn't you have enough points for Express Entry? I know my wife would love a UK trained ACA on her team!
thanks for your reply. I will pass it on to her.
We are currently living in Canada but due to go back to the uk next year.
Out of interest where are you based?
Old Aug 29th 2018, 8:34 am
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by shorty8118

thanks for your reply. I will pass it on to her.
We are currently living in Canada but due to go back to the uk next year.
Out of interest where are you based?
we're on Vancouver Island, BC
Old Aug 29th 2018, 8:36 am
Just Joined

we're on Vancouver Island, BC
could I be cheeky and ask if my wife could email/speak to your wife direct?
Old Aug 29th 2018, 8:38 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this is strictly true. If she is still a registered ACA with the ICAEW in the UK, she is entitled to use those letters after her name. You do not have to be qualified in any way to work in accounts or accounting in Canada - same as in the UK. What she can't do is pass herself off as a Canadian qualified accountant. The Canadian equivalent is a CPA (Chartered Professional Accountant) and there is a reciprocal agreement between the two bodies which means an easy equivalency can be obtained. If an employer, for example, wishes to employ you as an accountant, whether you're qualified or not, is entirely up to them.
Sigh. That is why I specifically said

before being able to work as a Chartered Accountant in Canada

I didn't for one moment say she couldn't work in accountancy!

Yes, Using the link I provided will give the requirements to convert her ACA to a CPA - so yes.. that would help too.

Would she be prepared to apply for an LMIA after doing the advertising etc., do you think?

If so, that could help the OP as it would increase their points as a Qualifying Job offer. Alternatively, with a job offer they could perhaps apply under BC PNP

If the LMIA was approved, - they could get a TWP on the back of the job offer and work while waiting for PR.

https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...Skilled-Worker

https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...C-PNP-pathways

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 29th 2018 at 8:53 am.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 8:45 am
"In cruce vincam"

Sigh. That is why I specifically said

before being able to work as a Chartered Accountant in Canada

I didn't for one moment say she couldn't work in accountancy!
But she can work as a Chartered Accountant - because she is one, just not a Canadian one. She can absolutely call herself a Chartered Accountant. There isn't such a thing as an ACA in Canada. She is completely entitled to call herself "Jane Smith, ACA".
Old Aug 29th 2018, 8:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

But she can work as a Chartered Accountant - because she is one, just not a Canadian one. She can absolutely call herself a Chartered Accountant. There isn't such a thing as an ACA in Canada. She is completely entitled to call herself "Jane Smith, ACA".

It's a regulated profession.
I suggest reading the link provided.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 9:01 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

In Canada all accountants are CPA now.
Using ACA in a signature or on a business card is fine, so long as the individual does not practice or profess to be a qualified accountant in Canada. Easier to convert to CPA.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 9:08 am
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Aviator
In Canada all accountants are CPA now.
Using ACA in a signature or on a business card is fine, so long as the individual does not practice or profess to be a qualified accountant in Canada. Easier to convert to CPA.
Exactly. She can't behave as if she is "Canada qualified", but that doesn't mean she can't work as an accountant or use her designated professional accreditation. She isn't putting CPA, which would be misrepresentation - at least until she converted, which doesn't require the sitting of any exams.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 9:16 am
"In cruce vincam"

It's a regulated profession.
I suggest reading the link provided.
That link is simply to the CPA conversion pages. That has nothing to do with whether she's an ACA or not, nor whether she can work as an accountant. As long as she doesn't pass herself off as a CPA before conversion of her ICAEW ACA qualification, she can work as an accountant. It's up to the employer whether they choose to recognize her qualification and experience.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 12:07 pm
Banned

That link is simply to the CPA conversion pages. That has nothing to do with whether she's an ACA or not, nor whether she can work as an accountant. As long as she doesn't pass herself off as a CPA before conversion of her ICAEW ACA qualification, she can work as an accountant. It's up to the employer whether they choose to recognize her qualification and experience.

When it's a REGULATED Profession - you have to be registered with the Provincial Governing body before you can use the title and there are rules governing the use of other titles. Working for an accountant would likely be ok, provided the OP doesn't state that they are a Professional Accountant / Chartered Accountant in any way.

Maybe it would help to read the official line.
https://www.bccpa.ca/regulatory/use-...on-by-members/
Q. I am not a BC member, but I hold an accounting designation from another country. Can I use this accounting designation from another country in BC?

As a non-member, you must comply with the restrictions against use or display of professional accounting designations under section 45 of the CPA Act.
Among other things, this prevents you from using or displaying a foreign professional accounting designation in British Columbia that is the same as, or contains, any of the following designations or initials (or the equivalent in a language other than English):
  • “Professional Accountant” or “PA”
  • “Chartered Professional Accountant” or “CPA”
  • “Fellow of the Chartered Professional Accountants” or “FCPA”
  • “Associate of the Chartered Professional Accountants” or “ACPA”
  • “Associate Accounting Technologist” or “AAT”
  • “Certified Public Accountant”
  • “Certified Public Auditor”
  • “Certified Accountant”
  • “Certified General Accountant” or “CGA”
  • “Fellow of the Certified General Accountants” or “FCGA”
  • “Certified Management Accountant” or “CMA”
  • “Fellow of the Certified Management Accountants” or “FCMA”
  • “Chartered Accountant” or “CA”
  • “Fellow of the Chartered Accountants” or “FCA”
  • “Associate of the Chartered Accountants” or “ACA”
  • “Registered Industrial Accountant” or “RIA”
You are also prohibited in British Columbia from implying, suggesting or holding out, in any other manner, that you are a professional accountant.

Attached Thumbnails EE with my family.-cpa.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 29th 2018 at 12:15 pm.