Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Education Problems/Questions? Confused Help appreciated

Education Problems/Questions? Confused Help appreciated

Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold
Default Education Problems/Questions? Confused Help appreciated

HIi all,

I'm new to this forum so be gentle, my wife and I have just had the knockback as when we initially applied for PR she was made the principle applicant as she has done a 2 year diploma in childcare, nursing 15 years ago yet because I obtained my Electrician qualifications as part of my resettlement package upon leaving the Royal Navy I wouldnt qualify even though my job is on the List.
Not sure how to proceed as a principle applicant, not many people are able to go back to college full time for 2 years as I have to work to pay bills like most people, is there a way round this? Please help?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Education Problems/Questions? Confused Help appreciated

Why cant you go as an electrician? What about PNP and different provinces? I am sure someone will give you an answer on the electrician forum
I was under the imprecation that the resettlement course gave you city and guilds which would mean you were qualified I am assuming that it would be experience that was the hinderance?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dinger24
Why cant you go as an electrician? What about PNP and different provinces? I am sure someone will give you an answer on the electrician forum
I was under the imprecation that the resettlement course gave you city and guilds which would mean you were qualified I am assuming that it would be experience that was the hinderance?
Yeah, its puzzling me at the moment, experience not a problem, been self employed now 4 years nearly working as an electrician, resettlement did give me City and Guilds level 3 quals but the Canadian guys said it didnt qualify as it wasnt full time study. Just enlisted an English Emigration company to look into it with me as the primary applicant. thanks for the reply Dinger
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Have you looked into PNP?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Feel like this a silly question but whats PNP?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mags1972
Forget that question Dinger, looked it up and thanks, wasnt aware of it was just going down the skilled worker route, I'll look into it.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:18 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

PNP stands for Provincial Nominee Program. Its a process whereby if you meet the criteria set by a particular Province then that province can "nominate" you and you get fast-track processing. Generally though most PNPs (but not all) require you to have a job offer to qualify. Which Province are you thinking of moving to?

If you work as an electrician and have done so for at least a year then you could go through Skilled Worker stream provided you also meet the points score (67 points). If you have performed the majority of the main duties for that occupation listed here http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...65=electrician then you should be okay.

What have you calculated your points score as?

Why do they say it didnt qualify as full-time study? How many hours per week did you spend doing study or on-the-job training?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NSpaul
PNP stands for Provincial Nominee Program. Its a process whereby if you meet the criteria set by a particular Province then that province can "nominate" you and you get fast-track processing. Generally though most PNPs (but not all) require you to have a job offer to qualify. Which Province are you thinking of moving to?

If you work as an electrician and have done so for at least a year then you could go through Skilled Worker stream provided you also meet the points score (67 points). If you have performed the majority of the main duties for that occupation listed here http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...65=electrician then you should be okay.

What have you calculated your points score as?

Why do they say it didnt qualify as full-time study? How many hours per week did you spend doing study or on-the-job training?
Paul,

Thanks for that looking to settle in Barrie, Ontario, just checked out the link and that describes the things I do and have been doing day in day out for the last 3 and a half years, tried the skilled worker but they wouldnt give me the 67 points as they wanted 2 years post secondary full time study, my study for my qualifications was an intensive 9 hours a day for 6 weeks course as part of my resettlement course from the Royal Navy.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:15 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Paul,

Thanks for that looking to settle in Barrie, Ontario, just checked out the link and that describes the things I do and have been doing day in day out for the last 3 and a half years, tried the skilled worker but they wouldnt give me the 67 points as they wanted 2 years post secondary full time study, my study for my qualifications was an intensive 9 hours a day for 6 weeks course as part of my resettlement course from the Royal Navy.
I sent you a PM about this. If you send me more info I'll do a review of your points.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Have you considered PNP then getting a LMO, with your employment you should have no problem getting an employer. Its all down to how well you sell yourself. I am fairly sure you will be able to move on PNP once you have a job offer and then an LMO.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dinger24
Have you considered PNP then getting a LMO, with your employment you should have no problem getting an employer. Its all down to how well you sell yourself. I am fairly sure you will be able to move on PNP once you have a job offer and then an LMO.
Thanks, we've just signed up with an immigration agency over here so I think thats a route we may end up taking, it seems like the way ahead, thanks again