Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Ecas shows an address we have never used

Ecas shows an address we have never used

Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Mr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enoughMr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enough
Default Ecas shows an address we have never used

I was wondering if anyone has had this happen. We applied for PR back in March this year. We received our PER by email (never had a letter by snail mail) in April and soon after, we appeared on ECAS.

For months now, ECAS has said "we sent you a letter on 20 April, please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us" And that was it. (Oh and the status was RBVO). The letter never materialised but we assumed that the email was it.

Today, when I checked ECAS, our status had not changed (Still RBVO) *but* all of a sudden they said that the letter sent on 20 April had been sent to a sollicitors' address. We *never* used this sollicitor for our PR application, we did it ourselves. We did use this sollicitor (but located at a different address from where the letter was allegedly sent) for our recent TWP extension. That all went through my husband's employer and this was the sollicitor they used. (edit: we have just phoned the sollictors at that address and it turns out, they've moved and it's an old address which is no longer in use )
I checked the copies of our PR application again but there was no mention anywhere of this sollicitor nor of the address CIC apparently sent a letter to.

So I suppose my questions are:

A) Has this happened to anybody on here before?
B) Where would CIC have gotten the address from?
C) Is it normal to still be RBVO after 5 months?
D) Is it too early for a stiff drink?

The waiting is driving me insane.... our TWP has only been extended for 18 months (then our passports expire) and after that, we can only have another 6 months. I am now so worried we will never get PR *before* our TWP runs out, it's giving me sleepless nights

Last edited by Mr and Mrs B.; Sep 29th 2011 at 1:36 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:38 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ecas shows an address we have never used

Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs B.
I was wondering if anyone has had this happen. We applied for PR back in March this year. We received our PER by email (never had a letter by snail mail) in April and soon after, we appeared on ECAS.

For months now, ECAS has said "we sent you a letter on 20 April, please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us" And that was it. (Oh and the status was RBVO). The letter never materialised but we assumed that the email was it.

Today, when I checked ECAS, our status had not changed (Still RBVO) *but* all of a sudden they said that the letter sent on 20 April had been sent to a sollicitors' address. We *never* used this sollicitor for our PR application, we did it ourselves. We did use this sollicitor (but located at a different address from where the letter was allegedly sent) for our recent TWP extension. That all went through my husband's employer and this was the sollicitor they used.

I checked the copies of our PR application again but there was no mention anywhere of this sollicitor nor of the address CIC apparently sent a letter to.

So I suppose my questions are:

A) Has this happened to anybody on here before?
B) Where would CIC have gotten the address from?
C) Is it normal to still be RBVO after 5 months?
D) Is it too early for a stiff drink?

The waiting is driving me insane.... our TWP has only been extended for 18 months (then our passports expire) and after that, we can only have another 6 months. I am now so worried we will never get PR *before* our TWP runs out, it's giving me sleepless nights
I would imagine that when the Solicitor did the TWP for you - you signed a Representative Form. CIC have married the TWP and the PR application up to you and thus changed the mailing address to that of the Solicitor.

Just e-mail CIC and ask them to change the mailing address back to you.

The letter referred to on ECAS will be the e-mail confirming you passed the CIO and that the pack was now being transferred to your processing office. It is completely normal to still be waiting to go into process. Though you can ask CIC to confirm this is what the ECAS status refers to.

If your processing office is London - e-mail via this e-mail rather than their on-line webform - [email protected]
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Mr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enoughMr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I would imagine that when the Solicitor did the TWP for you - you signed a Representative Form. CIC have married the TWP and the PR application up to you and thus changed the mailing address to that of the Solicitor.

Just e-mail CIC and ask them to change the mailing address back to you.

The letter referred to on ECAS will be the e-mail confirming you passed the CIO and that the pack was now being transferred to your processing office. It is completely normal to still be waiting to go into process. Though you can ask CIC to confirm this is what the ECAS status refers to.

If your processing office is London - e-mail via this e-mail rather than their on-line webform - [email protected]
Thank you *so* much! We were thinking that that's what may have happened but when then CIC seems to move in mysterious ways... We shall email CIC on the email address you so kindly provided and take it from there! Many, many thanks for the incredibly quick reply!

Mrs B.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:58 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you *so* much! We were thinking that that's what may have happened but when then CIC seems to move in mysterious ways... We shall email CIC on the email address you so kindly provided and take it from there! Many, many thanks for the incredibly quick reply!

Mrs B.
No worries! Good luck x
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

No worries! Good luck x
Actually... they mystery may not have been solved completely...

Checking ECAS again, our mailing address is *still* listed as our home address. Yet the message about the letter gives the address of the sollictor we didn't use.... Why would CIC sent a letter to a different address than our mailing address? I thought your mailing address was the address *all* correspondence would be sent to? How is it possible that they sent mail to an address different from your mailing address?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:10 pm

Actually... they mystery may not have been solved completely...

Checking ECAS again, our mailing address is *still* listed as our home address. Yet the message about the letter gives the address of the sollictor we didn't use.... Why would CIC sent a letter to a different address than our mailing address? I thought your mailing address was the address *all* correspondence would be sent to? How is it possible that they sent mail to an address different from your mailing address?
Hmm when did you use the solicitor to deal with your TWP?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hmm when did you use the solicitor to deal with your TWP?
We used them when we came over at the beginning of 2008 and again just now for our extension (Our twp expired in August, we've just received our extension - we filed for that in May of this year)

It's all very puzzling!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:47 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

There is no puzzle - the TWP application information is included in your PR application and the visa office has concluded that you are now represented by that solicitor. Instead of puzzling you should set the visa office straight - stat!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
There is no puzzle - the TWP application information is included in your PR application and the visa office has concluded that you are now represented by that solicitor. Instead of puzzling you should set the visa office straight - stat!
But the TWP was *not* included in our PR application. Sure, we sent in a copy of our TWP but there was no mention anywhere of the sollicitors' address. We did our PR application ourselves, the TWP application was done on our behalf by my husband's employer (through the sollicitor)

And again, they haven't changed our mailing address on ECAS, it just mentions a completely different address in the little message saying they sent a letter to such and such address (which was the sollicitor and not the mailing address)

I've sent an email to the London office via the email address that was so kindly provided by AmyDavid but in the meantime, I'm just trying to figure out what happened
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:08 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

The two application files were "married" in the visa office and the assumption was that the authorization for the lawyer applied to the PR application as well.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
The two application files were "married" in the visa office and the assumption was that the authorization for the lawyer applied to the PR application as well.
Hm, that would be a little over-zealous from the visa people but there you go What I find odd is that they have ammended the address that the letter supposedly went to, months and months after the event. Clearly the letter never went there in the first place, because at that time, they hadn't made the link, yet now they're claiming it did... Odd, but there you go. I sent London an email so now we wait. I'm good at that
Old Oct 1st 2011, 5:54 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I have no solid advice aside from an answer to your last question of the original post - it's 5 o'clock somwhere, have at 'er

Good luck with sorting it.