ECAS and misrepresention on EE

Old May 4th 2015, 6:21 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default ECAS and misrepresention on EE

I asked a question on another Internet expat group regarding getting my ECAS done.

I thought that as they want my highest qualification then my degree would need to be assessed but it's graphic design and I now work as a youth worker. I also have a NVQ related to that. I thought I would only need to be my degree done but someone said on the group that it would be mispresprentation if I get the degree assessed as its not related to my job anymore.

When I asked if I should get both assessed (degree and NVQ) they couldn't give me an answer and just went back to the mispresprentation thing again - unhelpful I my opinion.

So would it be best for me to get both assessed or just do the degree or only the NVQ?
Old May 4th 2015, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

kryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ECAS and misrepresention on EE

My degree was in Computer Science but I now work as a Retail Sales supervisor. I have never even considered that a computer science degree converted would be misrepresentation as it isn't really related to retail sales work - although I do use a computer.
I have however got work experience which required a computing degree at the time which has been declared.
I have never come across this before...

I would have thought it was misrepresentation to NOT get your higher qualification converted at all. Almost as if you are hiding your degree.

Either way, thank for another layer of worry for me...
Old May 4th 2015, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

kryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond reputekryt0n has a reputation beyond repute

Under Proof of Studies on CIC it states:
Purpose

To confirm education claims and validate that the applicant meets program requirements

Document requirements

To receive program-specific points for education, the applicant must either
provide proof of having completed a Canadian secondary or post-secondary educational program; or
obtain an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) and provide the ECA reference number in their application, along with proof of the foreign educational credentials for which points are being claimed.
Proof of completed Canadian or foreign educational credentials can include copies of
secondary or post-secondary education documents (certificates, diplomas or degrees); and
transcripts for successfully completed secondary or post-secondary studies, if available.
Where an ECA has been obtained, the applicant must provide the ECA reference number in their e-APR for online validation directly with the issuing organization.
A scanned copy of the ECA is not required when submitting the e-APR but may be requested by CIC at a later date.
So it's saying that if you claim it you have to prove it. You're claiming you have a degree so prove it with an ECA. It doesn't mention anywhere that it has to be related to your intended work or current work.

I think if they were to send you a misrepresentation letter that you could argue that this wasn't clear on CIC.

My boyfriend WAS an aeronautical engineer but now drives buses... we got his degree converted to back up his work experience.

I think that you are proving with EE profile that you are skilled and having any degree proves that you are an intelligent human being.

My friend has his FSW app in now (selected on first round). He got his degree in Mechanical Engineering but his current work is a Ski base area supervisor. So far he hasn't received a misrep letter.
Old May 4th 2015, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Also:

There is no education requirement for Canadian Experience Class. But, if you want to earn points for your education under Express Entry, you either need:

a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree, or
an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report produced by an agency approved by CIC to show your education is equal to Canadian education standards.
And for FSW:

Education

You must have:

a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree, or
an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by CIC to show your foreign education is equal to Canadian education standards.

Last edited by kryt0n; May 4th 2015 at 9:34 pm.
Old May 5th 2015, 2:25 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. That's great information.

I agree, I don't understand how it could be mispresentation when I did actually get the degree and can prove it.

Lots of people complete degrees and then change jobs, which can be unrelated.

I think I'll just go about getting the degree done then as my NVQ won't account for anything anyway.
Old May 5th 2015, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Thank you. That's great information.

I agree, I don't understand how it could be mispresentation when I did actually get the degree and can prove it.

Lots of people complete degrees and then change jobs, which can be unrelated.

I think I'll just go about getting the degree done then as my NVQ won't account for anything anyway.

I don't know how much extra they charge but you could try and get the NVQ converted as well at the same time? Not sure it gains you any extra points though.