ECA Query for Express Entry (FSW)

Old Mar 10th 2015, 3:37 am
Just Joined

lauren1823 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ECA Query for Express Entry (FSW)

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice regarding the Express Entry program in an attempt to maximise points. My mum and dad are looking to move over from the UK as quickly as possible (I am currently 7 months pregnant) and now that the immigration process has changed, it seems the Express Entry process is the only option at this time.

We currently have an application in for a LMIA, so it is unknown at this time if the outcome is positive or negative. Assuming it is positive however, my mum only has 64 points out of 100 under the FSW class, meaning she does not meet the minimum 67 point requirement. My parents are 51 and 52, so get no points for age. My mum has already sat the English test and got maximum points for that (cannot speak French). It appears the down fall is with regards to education, and this is where I need advice.

My mum left high school with O-Levels, which I assume would meet the equivalent of a high school diploma (5 points). After leaving high school, she took two short college courses but thinks they were only about 3 months in duration each and cannot remember the certificate awarded as it was 35 years ago. Following this, she began working as an apprentice in a local flower shop to become a florist. She remained there for 4 years and obtained all of her training 'in-house' by the owner. She has been a practising florist since that time, but unfortunately, has no certification from City and Guilds or equivalent to prove her training.

I already called WES for advice regarding this, as she does have records from this apprenticeship documenting all modules completed, areas studied, as well as her final certificate, but again this was all in-house and not formally assessed by a 'governing body'. WES advised that it did not sound like a 'formal education program' and therefore they would not take it into account. She has also engaged in many training courses through her employment (first aid, management courses etc.) but these too were short in duration and not a formal college course.

My question is - is there any way to have everything assessed so that she can gain as many points as possible? If we could just get her credentials into the next bracket ('Canadian post-secondary degree or diploma for a one-year program, or equal'), she would have enough points to apply with a positive job offer. If her apprenticeship could be recognised as 'Canadian post-secondary degree or diploma for a two-year program, or equal', that would allow her to join the pool even without a positive job offer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old Mar 10th 2015, 5:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ECA Query for Express Entry (FSW)

I'm sorry, but unless she actually received a recognisable qualification/certificate, there's no way that CIC will consider it as post-secondary education.

In-house training or an apprenticeship doesn't count for immigration purposes unless it's awarded by means of a proper assessment i.e. NVQ.

If your parents want to come over asap, then is a super visa not an option?
Old Mar 10th 2015, 7:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm sorry, but unless she actually received a recognisable qualification/certificate, there's no way that CIC will consider it as post-secondary education.

In-house training or an apprenticeship doesn't count for immigration purposes unless it's awarded by means of a proper assessment i.e. NVQ.

If your parents want to come over asap, then is a super visa not an option?
That's what I was thinking but due to their ages they may wish to work.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 7:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's what I was thinking but due to their ages they may wish to work.
Quite possibly, I did wonder about that too. It would at least get them out there asap though, if they can live off savings until the OP's mother gets her LMIA and work permit.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 7:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Quite possibly, I did wonder about that too. It would at least get them out there asap though, if they can live off savings until the OP's mother gets her LMIA and work permit.
Good point.