DUI in 2001

Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

cmstrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DUI in 2001

hi, my husband and i have planned a trip to Canada for next weekend. we will be entering on thurday and leaving on saturday. it just crossed my mind today that i should see if there are any specific requirements.

i was convicted of a DUI in the United States in April of 2002 for an event that occurred in April of 2001. i read that for people wishing to re-enter Canada or immigrating they need to fill out some forms and obtain a pardon. i couldn't tell if that was for people convicted in canada or in the us.

do i need something other than my passport because of this prior conviction? it was a midemeanor.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:26 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DUI in 2001

Hi

Originally Posted by cmstrick
hi, my husband and i have planned a trip to Canada for next weekend. we will be entering on thurday and leaving on saturday. it just crossed my mind today that i should see if there are any specific requirements.

i was convicted of a DUI in the United States in April of 2002 for an event that occurred in April of 2001. i read that for people wishing to re-enter Canada or immigrating they need to fill out some forms and obtain a pardon. i couldn't tell if that was for people convicted in canada or in the us.

do i need something other than my passport because of this prior conviction? it was a midemeanor.
It may be a misdemeanor in the US, but it equates to an indictable offense under the Criminal Code of Canada. It means that you are probably inadmissible to Canada as either an Immigrant or visitor. You may wish to read the following. http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-a...issible-en.asp

If 5 years have not elapsed from the end of the sentence, you require Rehabilitation, otherwise a TR Permit.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

cmstrick is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, 5 years have elapsed, so, does that mean i still need something or should i just take a copy of the court records with me to the border...or, do i need to visit the consulate in seattle before i go?

Last edited by cmstrick; Jul 26th 2007 at 7:32 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:53 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by cmstrick
yes, 5 years have elapsed, so, does that mean i still need something or should i just take a copy of the court records with me to the border...or, do i need to visit the consulate in seattle before i go?
You better visit Seattle, as you will need a TRP. You might as well start your reading here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/rehabil.asp

Last edited by PMM; Jul 26th 2007 at 9:42 pm. Reason: More Info.