Is it due to the CIC delay or...?

Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:10 pm
pop
Forum Regular

pop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it due to the CIC delay or...?

The US Post Service has informed me online that a notice has left at the Canadian Consulate General but they have not picked up the mail at the Post Office yet. Because 60-days response deadline is just a couple of days away, how shall I do, fax the copies, email or what else? Do you have any good ideas?
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:33 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it due to the CIC delay or...?

First - why did you use USPS instead of courier service? If USPS tried to deliver mail after hours or when it was weekend of Canadian holiday then obviously nobody was there to take delivery and mailman left notice (sometimes some not so honest mailmen don't even carry packages, only notices). If you would have used courier then it would have been delivered on second or third attempt.

Second - I'm not sure if consulate staff ever goes to post office to pick up anything, but I may be wrong. Providing of course that notice was received as we all know well what often happens with mail notices sticked to outside door....

Send both - email and fax with copies and provide info you received from USPS as well.

Originally Posted by pop
The US Post Service has informed me online that a notice has left at the Canadian Consulate General but they have not picked up the mail at the Post Office yet. Because 60-days response deadline is just a couple of days away, how shall I do, fax the copies, email or what else? Do you have any good ideas?
Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:38 pm
ABW
No driving taxi as 11/06

ABW is on a distinguished road

Based on this website:
http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/can-am/...uctions-en.asp

The RPC Buffalo explicitly says:
“The security of your passport is important to us. We strongly encourage you to use United States Postal Service or Canada Post premium mail service.”
“If your address is in the USA, we encourage you to have your passports returned using the United States Postal Service's premium Express Mail service.”

We have no choice but USPS here.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 8:18 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

"We encourage" doesn't limit your choices at all. It is only a suggestion, nothing else. Buffalo suggests USPS Express Mail as a minimum, but you can use any serice you want to send passport to Buffalo. Just remember that USPS Express mail is not a courier service. For passport return it is of course best to include pre-paid and pre-addressed USPS Express Mail envelope, but to assure delivery to consulate it is better to use reputable courier service that will provide multiple delivery attempts.

Contact USPS and demand delivery.

Originally Posted by ABW
Based on this website:
http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/can-am/...uctions-en.asp

The RPC Buffalo explicitly says:
“The security of your passport is important to us. We strongly encourage you to use United States Postal Service or Canada Post premium mail service.”
“If your address is in the USA, we encourage you to have your passports returned using the United States Postal Service's premium Express Mail service.”

We have no choice but USPS here.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

poeticjustice is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
"We encourage" doesn't limit your choices at all. It is only a suggestion, nothing else. Buffalo suggests USPS Express Mail as a minimum, but you can use any serice you want to send passport to Buffalo. Just remember that USPS Express mail is not a courier service. For passport return it is of course best to include pre-paid and pre-addressed USPS Express Mail envelope, but to assure delivery to consulate it is better to use reputable courier service that will provide multiple delivery attempts.

Contact USPS and demand delivery.
I'm from the US and I had a legal matter other than immigration arise and I was told by courier services, FedEx and others, that if anything is stolen using these services it is not a Federal offense and the individuals if cuaght, can only be prosecuted if the sender files a complaint at the local magistrates office ...if the theft happens using the USPS they will automatically be prosecuted under Federal law by USPS. That is what I was told, don't shoot the messenger!