Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Dual UK Canadian citizen entering Canada by land border?

Dual UK Canadian citizen entering Canada by land border?

Old Nov 30th 2018, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dual UK Canadian citizen entering Canada by land border?

So I know if someone (my son) has dual UK and Canadian citizenship and wants to FLY into Canada, he has to do so on a Canadian passport. BUT, what if he flew to the USA and crossed via private car into Canada - would he still have to do so using a Canadian passport Or could he use the UK one.

He is thinking of flying to Detroit as this is probably closer to us than Toronto and does not have a current Canadian passport and for reasons I cannot statw on a public forum, wants to avoid applying for one.
Old Nov 30th 2018, 6:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual UK Canadian citizen entering Canada by land border?

ETAs are only for those flying into or via Canada. Is your son planning to visit or stay?
Old Nov 30th 2018, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
ETAs are only for those flying into or via Canada. Is your son planning to visit or stay?
He will only be visiting for a two week holiday to stay with us in London ON
Old Nov 30th 2018, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

He might be able to apply for Special Authorization. See this link:

​https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html​​​​​​

Visa Exempt Citizenship (British)
Verifiable Canadian citizen
Travelling within 4 days

Check the link

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 30th 2018 at 7:17 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2018, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Snowy560
He might be able to apply for Special Authorization. See this link:

​https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html​​​​​​

Visa Exempt Citizenship (British)
Verifiable Canadian citizen
Travelling within 4 days

Check the link
Thanks but I th8nk this link is for people flying in to canada. He will be flying into the US and I will pick them up by car and drive them back (Detroit is pretty much as easy for me to get to as Toronto), so my question is about a land border crossing. So he wont need an ETA but will need an ESTA
Old Nov 30th 2018, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I didn't realize he wanted to go to the US and so would fly to Canada if he could.

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 30th 2018 at 7:58 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2018, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
So I know if someone (my son) has dual UK and Canadian citizenship and wants to FLY into Canada, he has to do so on a Canadian passport. BUT, what if he flew to the USA and crossed via private car into Canada - would he still have to do so using a Canadian passport Or could he use the UK one.

He is thinking of flying to Detroit as this is probably closer to us than Toronto and does not have a current Canadian passport and for reasons I cannot statw on a public forum, wants to avoid applying for one.
Yes he can use his UK passport however caveat does he have any proof of Canadian citizenship to show at the border? If not then he would have to enter as a visitor and in a worst case scenario could be refused entry. Has to satisfy a CBSA officer.

From ENF 4 IRCC Manual

9.4 Establishing citizenship without documents

Canadian citizens returning to Canada by air usually have to provide proof of identity and citizenship to get on the flight. Canadian citizens arriving at land borders, however, will frequently be without satisfactory documentary proof of Canadian citizenship. In these cases, the border services officer should question the person until the border services officer is satisfied with the person’s claim of Canadian citizenship. Once the border services officer is satisfied that the person is a Canadian citizen, the person must be allowed to enter Canada without further delay.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ir.../enf04-eng.pdf
Old Nov 30th 2018, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes he can use his UK passport however caveat does he have any proof of Canadian citizenship to show at the border? If not then he would have to enter as a visitor and in a worst case scenario could be refused entry. Has to satisfy a CBSA officer.

From ENF 4 IRCC Manual

9.4 Establishing citizenship without documents

Canadian citizens returning to Canada by air usually have to provide proof of identity and citizenship to get on the flight. Canadian citizens arriving at land borders, however, will frequently be without satisfactory documentary proof of Canadian citizenship. In these cases, the border services officer should question the person until the border services officer is satisfied with the person’s claim of Canadian citizenship. Once the border services officer is satisfied that the person is a Canadian citizen, the person must be allowed to enter Canada without further delay.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ir.../enf04-eng.pdf
Thanks. I am sure he can dig out his citizehship card and bring that with him. I registered both my kids when the were born (in the late 80s) for citizenship just in case they wanted to use it in later life.
Old Dec 1st 2018, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

In my opinion he should seek to enter as a Canadian i.e. telling the Officer he has Citizenship (and providing the proof he has). I don't think your suggesting he wouldn't do that.... tbh I think getting special authorization and flying to Toronto with an onward flight to Ottawa is probably what I'd do. Although I suppose if you can't apply for authorization until you've booked the flights that could be a bit of a headache.

And once you dig out those Citizenship certificates scan them from front and back if you haven't already. Just thinking you might not have if you got them in the late 80s.

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 1st 2018 at 3:35 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2018, 4:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...documents.html
(Documents that can be used as proof of Canadian Citizenship - list)
Citizenship cards and commemorative certificates

Before February 2012, we gave out plastic wallet-sized cards and commemorative certificates. These cards are still valid as proof of Canadian citizenship. The date on your citizenship card is not the date you became a Canadian citizen. It is the date we produced the card.

The commemorative certificates are not proof of Canadian citizenship, even though they have the date you became a Canadian citizen on them.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 1st 2018 at 4:55 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I am sure he can dig out his citizehship card and bring that with him. I registered both my kids when the were born (in the late 80s) for citizenship just in case they wanted to use it in later life.
When I was naturalized, I received a small credit card size citizenship card, bearing my photo, along with a commemorative document with was bigger and also had the same number on it, as the citizenship card.

I heard that these citizenship cards in credit card size and with a photo on it, are no longer issued. These citizenship cards were never meant as a travel document. They maybe qualify for a one time entry from the US to Canada, however not sure.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
When I was naturalized, I received a small credit card size citizenship card, bearing my photo, along with a commemorative document with was bigger and also had the same number on it, as the citizenship card.

I heard that these citizenship cards in credit card size and with a photo on it, are no longer issued. These citizenship cards were never meant as a travel document. They maybe qualify for a one time entry from the US to Canada, however not sure.
I believe that they no longer issue the commemorative certificate, not the credit card thingy (although I might be wrong). In any event, it has his citizenship number on it so should act as proof of citizenship at a border (my daughter had the same stuff and happily got a Canadian passport issued on the basis of the credit card citizen card).
Old Dec 9th 2018, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The credit card size Citizenship card is no longer issued and it was never issued to be a travel document. It is proof of citizenship and would be accepted by CBSA on entry into Canada when accompanied with a valid passport in the air mode. It was also accepted at land sea and rail on entering Canada if no passport HOWEVER it wouldn't get you into the USA unless you provided a passport, Enhanced Driver’s License, or Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST).

The problem with the card is that there were no security features so it was stopped being issued and that is not to say it couldn't be reintroduced if they introduced security features BUT it wouldn't serve as a travel document on its own.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

As I said in my original post, my son will be travelling on his British Passport. He will not of course attempt to travel internationally without a valid passport.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

He is thinking of flying to Detroit as this is probably closer to us than Toronto...
If you're in London, ON then Toronto Pearson airport is closer than Detroit Metro airport. Plus you have to cross the border twice getting to and from Detroit. My daughter lives in London, ON and nearly always uses Pearson because it's closer. She has used Detroit only when the cost savings made the longer journey and border crossings worthwhile.

...and does not have a current Canadian passport and for reasons I cannot statw on a public forum, wants to avoid applying for one.
This is the reason for flying into Detroit rather than Toronto.