Dual intent - I'm Lost?!

Old May 10th 2021, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dual intent - I'm Lost?!

So other half is now in Canada, I'm looking to land via family reunification, or go over on a Student permit in late summer - but already have a PR application in the pipeline.

I've read and I think understood dual intent - I.E I'm going with a secondary purpose but intend to abide by all conditions of my temporary residence, If PR hasn't come through I hope to get a PGWP, but if not I am quite happy to leave Canada at the end of the 4 years, realise it wasn't meant to be and return to England having had a career break and a new degree. I have properties back here I will be keeping, she has family ties etc.

But I'm reading horror stories online - obviously unverified and never sure if you get the full story, about study permits being turned down for a multitude of reasons around dual intent.

- not enough assurance you will return home.
- study being unrelated to previous studies (mine is, but its a field I have a genuine interest in, and one I see being a wise career move).
- large gap between previous study and proposed second study (again, I'm 12 years plus, but feel its time for a change, I'm a little comfortable in my lane, have worked hard for 15 years+ and a little bored, hence wanting to move industries, countries, take a career break etc)
- your study not benefiting your home country - unsure how you prove or disprove this one.
- Leaving a well paid job to become a student (again, I tick this box, but I've got to a point where I don't want to go much further in my current field and moving around requires some sort of upskilling)

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this?

Now granted if I got PR today I likely wouldn't immediately go into university this fall, but would almost certainly do so next fall, and may choose to go part time rather than full time - its a case of: cant work, may as well study, whereas if I got PR I would likely try and do a ski season before the joints get 4 years older!

Just feels a bit strange that I'm less likely to get a student permit because of having a PR application in, but also a little concerned whether being denied a study permit could potentially impact my PR application (as ill effectively have been refused for a visa) - likewise entering under reunification purposes, I qualify for it reading online - but does having a PR application in make it look like I'm less likely to leave at the end of the visitor period?