Dual citizenship

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dual citizenship

Hi...just hopped over from the US forum where I usually lurk!
I'm after some info.
If someone is a British citizen, marries a Canadian and gets Canadian citizenship can they then become a US citizen without giving up their Canadian citizenship?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

nuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Dual citizenship

I think so. At least from the Canadian side of it.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...come-faq09.asp
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
If someone is a British citizen, marries a Canadian and gets Canadian citizenship can they then become a US citizen without giving up their Canadian citizenship?
Yes.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys...that's what I thought but just wanted to check it out
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Canada, the US and the UK each have no problem with their citizens also having other citizenships.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:51 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bewillow
Canada, the US and the UK each have no problem with their citizens also having other citizenships.
I don't think the US likes it very much, though.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I don't think the US likes it very much, though.
I have never seen any problem with the US. Only thing is US citizens are required to enter the US using their US passport.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, you dont get canadian citizenship just by marrying a canadian girl...you would have to get residence first and then live in canada for three years out of four before applying for it....

I can see you having british and canadian (or US) citizenship (eventually, through residence etc)..I cant see where you would get both US and Canadian citizenship in addition to British unless you have been a resident in the US already long enough to qualify there. If you took the time to get canadian citizenship now, the absense from the US to meet Canadian citizenship requirements would scupper your chances of Citizenship in the US I think, at least for a while

Last edited by iaink; Jun 3rd 2009 at 3:04 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:51 pm

I have never seen any problem with the US. Only thing is US citizens are required to enter the US using their US passport.
I'm not saying you can't be a dual US-something citizen, I just understand that the US government doesn't much like the idea. Not very patriotic and all that. The Canadian government goes through periods of not liking it much (eg in the aftermath of the evacuation of 'Canadians' from the Lebanon). I don't think the UK gives a shit.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think the government really does not mind. I have never heard an official problem other than the following:

I forgot the only other problem I know of: Getting a US high level security clearance if you are also the citizen of another country is not allowed.

That and having to use your US passport.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:52 pm

I think the government really does not mind. I have never heard an official problem other than the following:

I forgot the only other problem I know of: Getting a US high level security clearance if you are also the citizen of another country is not allowed.

That and having to use your US passport.
I imagine that to be the case in pretty much every country.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

The person in question has British citizenship by birth, Candian citizenship by marriage and lived there for several years, now has her LPR in the States and has told me several times that to become a US citizen Canada would make her give up her Canadian citizenship..and I thought hang on a minute....don't think that's right!!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

The person in question has ... Candian citizenship by marriage
No such thing, at least not recently.

Does your friend have a Canadian passport already? Did your friend do a naturalization ceremony in Canada after applying for citizenship?

Last edited by bewillow; Jun 3rd 2009 at 4:19 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I imagine that to be the case in pretty much every country.
Absolutely! My husband was offered a senior hardware designer job by a well known UK defense company - was pestered by them to give notice at his old job while the security clearance checks were being performed as they were "only a formality" - and he thankfully didn't listen because he "failed" because of his Canadian citizenship!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:51 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The person in question has British citizenship by birth, Candian citizenship by marriage and lived there for several years, now has her LPR in the States and has told me several times that to become a US citizen Canada would make her give up her Canadian citizenship..and I thought hang on a minute....don't think that's right!!
You can't lose either Canadian or UK citizenship just because you become a citizen of another country. Both countries recognize dual, or even multiple citizenship. The only way to stop being a British, or Canadian, citizen it to formally renounce your citizenship.

This is where the problem comes with acquiring US citizenship. As part of the oath you have to take when you get US citizenship you do renounce all other citizenships. However, this isn't a form of renunciation that the Canadian or British governments recognize so they don't care. As far as I can tell you just cross your fingers at that part and carry on. There are enough dual US/Canadian citizens around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.