Dual Canadian Citizenship

Old Sep 22nd 2019, 3:23 am
Just Joined

vetra121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Canadian Citizenship

Hello All,

So grateful to have been told about this website. I was born in Quebec City, Canada and then Naturalized as a US citizen at 6 year old, but my parents did not retain my dual citizenship (they probably were unaware that they could). That said, I am looking for some guidance as to how I can obtain dual citizenship. Thanks to all in advance for any advice you can give...
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 6:46 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Canadian Citizenship

No need to retain it as Ted Cruz found out. Just apply for a Canadian passport using your birth certificate.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ort/apply.html
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 6:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to BE.

As BiP has said, you’re already a dual citizen.

😊
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Dual Canadian Citizenship

Thank you!!
Old Sep 24th 2019, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vetra121
Hello All,

So grateful to have been told about this website. I was born in Quebec City, Canada and then Naturalized as a US citizen at 6 year old, but my parents did not retain my dual citizenship (they probably were unaware that they could). That said, I am looking for some guidance as to how I can obtain dual citizenship. Thanks to all in advance for any advice you can give...
Holding a passport is not the same as holding citizenship. You can be a citizen of a country without holding a valid passport for that country. So just because you do not currently have a Canadian passport does not mean that you are not a Canadian citizen. Also do not make the mistake of applying for Canadian citizenship. That's a process for people who are not currently Canadian citizens and want to become one.

If you are a Canadian citizen (and it sounds like you are), then you simply need to apply for a Canadian passport as proof of your Canadian citizenship. Note that the photo requirements for Canadian passports are different to those for US passports. Usually you can find someone knowledgeable at a local pharmacy (e.g. Walgreens) who can produce the correct photos for you. If not, you can take the photo specifications to a local photographer.

Start here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-passport.html
Old Sep 25th 2019, 1:11 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much! This information is very helpful.