Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Driver licence history from Australia only 2 states?

Driver licence history from Australia only 2 states?

Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driver licence history from Australia only 2 states?

OK so I know we are going to have to do it and its their right to set the rules but was just wondering what their reasoning was..
Just checking what the police check requirements for PR app are for our time spent in Australia and, in addition to the regular police check that I expected, they also require a drivers licence history from the age you turned 18/received a licence (and in my case a letter confirming that I didn't even hold a licence whilst I was there ) BUT only if you resided in Queensland or Victoria.

So where's the logic in that? If I lived 5kms over the state border in New South wales they are not interested. Or any of the other states and territories.

Wonder what the CIC have against Australian drivers specifically from Victoria and Queensland... I'm pretty sure the drivers are equally bad in all the states..
PITA too as for that check we are going to have to phone up the relevant driving licence authority - only the 5yr report can be done online.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driver licence history from Australia only 2 states?

Different territories different laws, I believe it's because those are the only two territories that have separate traffic history reports.

Last edited by MountainHiker; Jul 8th 2014 at 6:05 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MountainHiker
Different territories different laws, I believe it's because those are the only two territories that have separate traffic history reports.
Yeah thanks, having done some extensive googling it does seem that those two states are just a law unto themselves. Bit silly they don't have a uniform approach to these things across the country though.
Looks like it's more work to prove I didn't actually hold a licence too. Proving a negative is always so much harder.
Oh well better stick my head back into the pile of paperwork and forms and see what other horrors await.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Update in case anybody else is in the same position and reads this, my husband called Vic roads with his licence number and requested a record, which they said would be dispatched immediately.

I emailed the [email protected] team with;
full details of the dates I was in Australia
addresses
full name and DOB
declaration that I had not held a licence nor had a vehicle registered in my name nor committed any offences in Australia

Did that on Wednesday evening and received a response this morning (Friday) saying a letter had been despatched to my Canadian address. No charge for this.
Hopefully that should arrive soon
Not as hard as I had anticipated after all.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 6:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Update in case anybody else is in the same position and reads this, my husband called Vic roads with his licence number and requested a record, which they said would be dispatched immediately.

I emailed the [email protected] team with;
full details of the dates I was in Australia
addresses
full name and DOB
declaration that I had not held a licence nor had a vehicle registered in my name nor committed any offences in Australia

Did that on Wednesday evening and received a response this morning (Friday) saying a letter had been despatched to my Canadian address. No charge for this.
Hopefully that should arrive soon
Not as hard as I had anticipated after all.
That's brilliant! Thank you for updating your thread and supplying the info, I am sure someone will find it very useful.