Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Does speeding ticket mean rehabilitation

Does speeding ticket mean rehabilitation

Old Nov 24th 2004, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

M Cochrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does speeding ticket mean rehabilitation

Hi Mr Humphries/Miller

I live in Scotland and have just received my police report back from Strathclyde Police. May I just say that I have never had a criminal conviction in my life. I had a speeding titcket in July of this year and my report has come back with the speeding ticket registered on it. This seems to be some new rules and regulations under Scottish Law. Can you please tell me if I have to apply for rehabilitation. I did not go to court. I was given a fixed penalty fine and 3 points on my driving licence. I am extremely worried and anxious about this.

Thanks
Maureen
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:45 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does speeding ticket mean rehabilitation

No, traffic tickets are not criminal convictions.

Originally Posted by M Cochrane
Hi Mr Humphries/Miller

I live in Scotland and have just received my police report back from Strathclyde Police. May I just say that I have never had a criminal conviction in my life. I had a speeding titcket in July of this year and my report has come back with the speeding ticket registered on it. This seems to be some new rules and regulations under Scottish Law. Can you please tell me if I have to apply for rehabilitation. I did not go to court. I was given a fixed penalty fine and 3 points on my driving licence. I am extremely worried and anxious about this.

Thanks
Maureen
Old Nov 24th 2004, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

M Cochrane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Thanks Mr Miller I can rest a bit easier now

Maureen
Old Sep 5th 2006, 4:59 am
KGM
Just Joined

KGM is an unknown quantity at this point

Andrew

In my case the speeding offence was taken care of in court rather than a fixed penalty (i received a fine and points). Does this make any difference to whether it is a criminal offence and whether I declare it on the form?

Thanks
Old Sep 5th 2006, 5:21 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It must have been more than just speeding - it probably was a reckless driving, endangering safety of others or something similar of serious nature if you were taken to court (other than traffic court of course). I can't tell you how it will affect (if at all) your admisibility without making full evaluation of your court case and comparing it to Canadian law.

Originally Posted by KGM
Andrew

In my case the speeding offence was taken care of in court rather than a fixed penalty (i received a fine and points). Does this make any difference to whether it is a criminal offence and whether I declare it on the form?

Thanks
Old Sep 5th 2006, 11:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It must have been more than just speeding - it probably was a reckless driving, endangering safety of others or something similar of serious nature if you were taken to court (other than traffic court of course).
The United Kingdom doesn't have a "traffic court".
Old Sep 5th 2006, 12:44 pm
KGM
Just Joined

KGM is an unknown quantity at this point

I can assure you Mr Miller that it was no more than a speeding offence and was heard in the Magisrates Court which happens quite regularly in the UK. I have now since checked elsewhere and have received confirmation that offences of this nature are not a criminal conviction and will not appear on the PNC (police national computer) unless the sentence was a driving ban.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KGM
I can assure you Mr Miller that it was no more than a speeding offence and was heard in the Magisrates Court which happens quite regularly in the UK. I have now since checked elsewhere and have received confirmation that offences of this nature are not a criminal conviction and will not appear on the PNC (police national computer) unless the sentence was a driving ban.
Who cares what the facts are: the CIC don't. They might well treat it as serious: they've been treating cautions as convictions, so why not traffic fines?

K.