Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Does passport need to be valid for a year when travelling ?

Does passport need to be valid for a year when travelling ?

Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Pudseytwo is on a distinguished road
Default Does passport need to be valid for a year when travelling ?

Hi there,

We landed in Canada in April as we had until June to do so and came back and got the house ready to sell. We have now sold it and are looking to move mid December and I am now writing out lists and lists of things 'to do'

I was reading somewhere that when you fly back into Canada that you have to have 12 months left on your passport ?

My daughter is 15 and has a 5 year passport which runs out next October, we can't really get her a new one as the Visa is in it. Is this a problem ? has anyone heard of this 12 month thing ?

Also has anyone taken the risk and turned up at the airport with a one way ticket and no PR card ? We landed via Niagara and the immigration officer said that we wouldn't be able to fly back in and looking into it, it looks like we will have to get a return ticket or a travel visa which would come 'who knows when'.

I contacted Airtransat to ask what the situation was and they said to ask my travel agent, which we don't have as we do it ourselves ???

It's another case of going around in circles, which we seem to have been doing for the past two + years

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Does passport need to be valid for a year when travelling ?

Just spoke to Canadian Affair and they said that having a one way ticket is not a problem, the problem would be at immigration with no PR card ?!?!?!?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

If I was you, I'd renew her passport. When you renew they will return the cancelled passport to you. It will be alot cheaper and quicker to renew your passport in the UK. The visa in your passport is a single use visa (you will note they put a line through it when you landed).

Immigration will not be too bothered about your lack of a PR Card. They have access to their computer system and will very quickly be able to tell that you still have your PR status.

If not having a PR card is not a problem for Canadian Affair this is great.

Many countries do insist that you have at least 6 months on your passport when you are travelling as a visitor, but this would not apply to a returning Resident
Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

The thing is she is 16 in April and she can then get a 10 year passport rather than get another 5 year one, so we might hold off on renewing it, however it appears that I have been given some 'duff' information with regards to the 12 months thing.

I'm not really believing the customer services advisor at Canadian affair so I am going to try and get one of them to send me something in writing as I can do without a big 'kick off' at the airport before we actually fly
Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:31 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

If you have already landed then your visa is void. The Confirmation of Permanent Residence document (COPR) document is the piece of paper you got when you landed. This is your best piece of evidence for returning to take up residency.

The pasport/immigration officers have the discretion to authorize the entry of permanent residents, even in the absence of documentation. They can look you up on the system (known as FOSS) and will find that you have already landed and obtained PR status.

The rules are in the Port Of Entry Manual, link below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf04-eng.pdf

Remember if you have already landed then Section 11 (Examining permanent residents at ports of entry) is the bit to read.

The whole thing about airlines not letting you board the plane is so hit and miss. I have not heard of anyone not let board the plane but a few were delayed at check-in. If you are worried that a copy of the section from the manual and leave time to check-in.

Also at the other end dont be surprised when you are directed to the immigration office for further checks.

JB

Last edited by JB0591; Oct 12th 2011 at 12:34 am.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Hi again,

Just got a confirmation in writing that they will let you buy a one way ticket but they say that they can't pass any comment on immigrations in Canada.

I think we are just going to go to the airport with

Thanks for your help