Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

does kids speaking french improve chances of getting a PV

Wikiposts

does kids speaking french improve chances of getting a PV

Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:49 am
Banned

irishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to all
Exclamation does kids speaking french improve chances of getting a PV

Hi
much help needed please...
We are an Irish family living in France and wanting to move to Canada,Nova Scotia maybe.
Our children are 16 and 14 and speak excellent french, ours needs alot of work. our youngest, 12 months was born here.

Our eldest 2 are doing well in school but for very good reasons we are leaving France, our dream is to move to Canada, does it improve our chances if our kids speak french and are already used to the french curriculum ?
and if we have enough money to buy a house?

We really need advice on boosting our points as at the moment we only stand at 65.
We think our best hope is the nominee program,

cheers
Sam
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: does kids speaking french improve chances of getting a PV

Well, not unless your kids are over 18 and have loads of skills and are the principal applicants, now it won't help.

Start reading the wiki. You'd be surprised what you will find.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishsamx
Hi
We are an Irish family living in France and wanting to move to Canada,Nova Scotia maybe.
Our children are 16 and 14 and speak excellent french, ours needs alot of work. our youngest, 12 months was born here.

Our eldest 2 are doing well in school but for very good reasons we are leaving France, our dream is to move to Canada, does it improve our chances if our kids speak french and are already used to the french curriculum ?

We really need advice on boosting our points as at the moment we only stand at 65.

cheers
Sam
If you can all speak French, is Quebec an option?

Have you become French citizens by now?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:38 pm
Banned

irishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to all

No we are not french citizens, I think Quebec may be an option with the benefit of the language as we are very passionate about the children not losing the ability to speak it. My husband's french is not bad at all, mine is much worse, but I do have the time to improve it considerably.
The problem is as we are looking at the nominee program, Quebec does'nt seem to include itself on this and that is why I thought it was not a good option for us.

Am I right? could anyone esle help me find out more.

many thanks
Sam
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

No we are not french citizens, I think Quebec may be an option with the benefit of the language as we are very passionate about the children not losing the ability to speak it. My husband's french is not bad at all, mine is much worse, but I do have the time to improve it considerably.
The problem is as we are looking at the nominee program, Quebec does'nt seem to include itself on this and that is why I thought it was not a good option for us.
http://www.immq.gouv.qc.ca
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

eve normand will become famous soon enougheve normand will become famous soon enough

Hi

cheers
Sam
Irishsam,
Dont go to Quebec! I am English living in France for 14 years,French husband
2 bi-lingual kids 11 and 14.We are just waiting on our meds and hope to be in Canada for this spring.I have done alot of research about where to go,as I too want my kids to maintain there french and my hubby doesnt speak english that well.We have decided on NS;I have enrolled my kids in a french speaking school (has the feeling of an international school really as there are kids from all over the world) as long as you can prove the majority of their education has been done in a french school you are in! Youget the best of both worlds keeping up their english in my case and being taught in french?There is even a french uni in Ns.There are many reason why not too go to Quebec,but if one of yor reasons is to get away from France because of difficulty in addapting here then Quebec is not your best option.Please mail me and I will more than happy to share with you what I have found.
Eve
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

eve normand will become famous soon enougheve normand will become famous soon enough

Hi

cheers
Sam
A friend at the embassy told me that the Nominee program for NS is not worth doing as we had thought of that too.I have heard that you can go directly to a province and and apply to them,you need to go there to have an interview and with all the paperwork and they will apply on your dehalf,takes about a year.Contact the province you are interested living in,it sounds as though they act as a type of sponsor.I can ask my friend more about it,if you are interested.
Eve
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:47 am
Just Joined

CatJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I right? could anyone esle help me find out more.

many thanks
Sam
Quebec select their own applicants, once selected you then apply to the consulate office near you then it's just a matter of formality and you're processed very quickly. (If Quebec is not your ideal destination you don't have to settle there) For provincial nominee program you just need to apply directly to the province of your choice, much easier process than the federal application.

Even if your French is not fluent and you're applying to federal government SW program, you can still have extra points as long as you can prove your language abilities (like a TEF certificate or a written submission)
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:37 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by CatJ
Quebec select their own applicants, once selected you then apply to the consulate office near you then it's just a matter of formality and you're processed very quickly. (If Quebec is not your ideal destination you don't have to settle there)
Yes you do. You sign a declaration of intent to live in Quebec.
And the federal stage is not "just a formality" as they are the ones to assess health criteria etc.

For provincial nominee program you just need to apply directly to the province of your choice, much easier process than the federal application.
Process is the same as applying to Quebec. You apply to province first then to federal government who deal with the rest of the application.