Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Does each family member have their own COPR in addition to the PR card?

Wikiposts

Does each family member have their own COPR in addition to the PR card?

Old Mar 5th 2010, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future
Default Does each family member have their own COPR in addition to the PR card?

Hi all,

four weeks to our "permanent" move to Vancouver, and my to-do-lists get longer instead of shorter.

Anyway. The moving company has asked me for copies of both of my and my son's COPR documents. I have both of our PR cards. However, it seems to me that either the immigration officer kept the COPR of my son, or I must have lost it. -- Anyway, I am trying to make sense of the application for a replacement of a lost COPR on CIC's website. It looks pretty straightforward.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...des/5545E2.asp

-- it also looks like CIC will take around 6 months to replace this item, which would mean that I won't have it when our container lands in Vancouver by around mid-May.

Could someone confirm that I am not crazy and that indeed
-each family member should have their own COPR forms after landing
-in addition to the PR card?

Thanks.
Am in a weird place, where checking things off the list only seems to add more things to the same list.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Does each family member have their own COPR in addition to the PR card?

Yep you would each have a COPR. Perhaps you could ask them if a scanned copy of your PR cards would be enough?

Good luck!
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future
Default Re: Does each family member have their own COPR in addition to the PR card?

thanks for the reply rach!

Yes, will check with the moving company, what exactly happens, now that I have both of ours PR cards but only one COPR.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ikatita

Yes, will check with the moving company, what exactly happens, now that I have both of ours PR cards but only one COPR.
If you don't have the COPR, you don't have it .....

In any case, the goods are yours, not your son's - perhaps point that out if the moving company causes problems.

Send off to replace the COPR as soon as possible as not having it will cause delays if applying for citizenship, also it would be a problem if PR Card was lost.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I thought they took the COPR form from you in order to process your PR cards
so I am a bit puzzled as to how you have managed to hold onto one of them. To my mind you should have had both taken from you....or none. Unless as you say, you may have lost it.
How odd
lol Stef

Originally Posted by Ikatita

Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
I thought they took the COPR form from you in order to process your PR cards
No, they don't take the COPR. It gets stamped, signed and returned to you.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks for clarifying that, so OP must have lost the other one then....nightmare
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by JAJ
No, they don't take the COPR. It gets stamped, signed and returned to you.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:32 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
Thanks for clarifying that, so OP must have lost the other one then....nightmare
Nightmare? No, not a nightmare, just a need to get a new one. Keep a sense of perspective on things.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Nightmare? No, not a nightmare, just a need to get a new one. Keep a sense of perspective on things.
yes, CIC even has the appropriate forms on their website to apply for a renewal

I think they didn't return it to me when he landed (which was a couple months after me), which is why I have mine (lucky) and not his.

Thanks again for the replies, and thanks for the tip for the moving company:
-yes, will point out to them, that the whole move are my goods (I think it was a standard form, assuming more than one adult in the household)
-therefore will point out that they just need my COPR
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:21 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Did you check his passport to see if it's there? My son still has his in his passport from when he landed (they staple it inside) ... just a thought!

Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Does each family member have their own COPR in addition to the PR card?

Originally Posted by siouxie
Did you check his passport to see if it's there? My son still has his in his passport from when he landed (they staple it inside) ... just a thought!

thanks -- yes, that's the first place I checked, it's not there. Ah well. Good thing I notice it now, and not when getting together our papers for nationality... Or once I've managed to loose his PR card.