Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Does the CHC London use a Yahoo email address?

Does the CHC London use a Yahoo email address?

Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:43 pm
Dale & Natt

phoenix25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does the CHC London use a Yahoo email address?

Hi all.

We got an email last night from the CHC London. We got the email at 1.30am, and it was from a Yahoo email address. (@Yahoo.com)

Do they email so early in the morning and do they use Yahoo email addresses?
Not sure if its a scampster or not

The email had our authorised work permit instructions enclosed

Thanks for any input.
Dale.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:31 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does the CHC London use a Yahoo email address?

Originally Posted by phoenix25
Hi all.

We got an email last night from the CHC London. We got the email at 1.30am, and it was from a Yahoo email address. (@Yahoo.com)

Do they email so early in the morning and do they use Yahoo email addresses?
Not sure if its a scampster or not

The email had our authorised work permit instructions enclosed

Thanks for any input.
Dale.
Sounds like some CHC workoholic working from home on your application in the middle of the night if the email was really genuine. But then they are not known for working so hard are they?

I would deal with it with suspicion if I was you.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:35 pm
Dale & Natt

Originally Posted by Edo
Sounds like some CHC workoholic working from home on your application in the middle of the night if the email was really genuine. But then they are not known for working so hard are they?

Looking back at the email...I think it is the real deal, as they included my PR app number, and full address, and full names of wife and I.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:49 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe none of my business and yes I've never dealt with CHC but I have dealt with the Aussie equivalent and before leaving the UK I worked for and dealt with local authorities foreign govt. departments of all sorts.

NONE of them use/d yahoo or anything like it. They all have there own servers/providers etc. and would surely contain an element of the department address in their email.

I'd be very cautious if I were you.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Maybe none of my business and yes I've never dealt with CHC but I have dealt with the Aussie equivalent and before leaving the UK I worked for and dealt with local authorities foreign govt. departments of all sorts.

NONE of them use/d yahoo or anything like it. They all have there own servers/providers etc. and would surely contain an element of the department address in their email.

I'd be very cautious if I were you.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.
Yes, to be honest, there are alot of scammers out there, someone could have access to your file number through some way. Any government employee should be able to access their work email at home (through terminal servers)- I wouldn't suggest responding to it, in fact, I would forward it to CHC and explain concern that if this is a genuine email from an employee - it is very unprofessional them contacting you via a personal yahoo account, how are you to believe this is the CHC??? Have you ever posted your case number anywhere or submitted it to anything? A tracker for immigration?? There are smart people who do criminal things with the information they mine.

When I worked for the government, ANY work done at home or not was sent through a work email account - accessed remotely or at the office.

That sounds VERY VERY fishy.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I'd treat with extreme caution.

I would have expected consulate employees to have government / consulate email addresses....gc.ca or the like

Time to update your security maybe?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Strange, as any IT person will tell you it's very easy to forge a 'from' on an email address. If it was a scam I expect they would have done this.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:38 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I would be very wary about it - I would e-mail London on this e-mail address [email protected] and forward the yahoo e-mail and ask for confirmation it is indeed from them.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:45 pm
Dale & Natt

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I would be very wary about it - I would e-mail London on this e-mail address [email protected] and forward the yahoo e-mail and ask for confirmation it is indeed from them.
Thanks for that
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:56 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo

It tires me to hear snide and ill-informed remarks about visa office personnel. I spent 16 years in offices around the world and found only people trying hard to do their jobs with inadequate resources and ever-growing backlogs.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:18 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
It tires me to hear snide and ill-informed remarks about visa office personnel. I spent 16 years in offices around the world and found only people trying hard to do their jobs with inadequate resources and ever-growing backlogs.
Hear Hear. Everyone blames the department for the backlogs. It wasn't CIC in 2003 that lowered the points from 75 to 67. It was the Liberal Gov't in an election campaign to appeal to ethnic voters. With the points at 75 the quota for skilled workers was actually under subscribed. In other words with 75 points and no list of "29" there was no backlog building. At 67 points, damn near everyone in the World qualified. It didn't help the Liberals in 2004, from Majority to Minority.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Hear Hear. Everyone blames the department for the backlogs. It wasn't CIC in 2003 that lowered the points from 75 to 67. It was the Liberal Gov't in an election campaign to appeal to ethnic voters. With the points at 75 the quota for skilled workers was actually under subscribed. In other words with 75 points and no list of "29" there was no backlog building. At 67 points, damn near everyone in the World qualified. It didn't help the Liberals in 2004, from Majority to Minority.
+1. I do sometimes think that people on the forum have very unrealistic expectations of CIC.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
+1. I do sometimes think that people on the forum have very unrealistic expectations of CIC.
I suspect its not the only under-resourced government department doing its best with what its given, but I also understand the frustration of those stuck in the process too.

I wouldnt read too much into a throwaway remark on an internet forum myself.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 12:56 pm
Dale & Natt

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Hi, I emailed the above. They got back to me this morning and confirmed that the work visa authorisation is authentic! they also apologised for any confusion.

Happy days! Thanks for your assistance.....were off to Canada-flights booked
Regarding our PR, which is still showing RBVO London, how do we notify them that we are moving Vancouver?

Thanks.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by phoenix25
Hi, I emailed the above. They got back to me this morning and confirmed that the work visa authorisation is authentic! they also apologised for any confusion.

Happy days! Thanks for your assistance.....were off to Canada-flights booked
Regarding our PR, which is still showing RBVO London, how do we notify them that we are moving Vancouver?

Thanks.
Congratulations.

Live and learn for me...