Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Which documents for work permit holder's SIN?

Which documents for work permit holder's SIN?

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 5:43 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which documents for work permit holder's SIN?

Does a work permit holder need to present his/her employment contract when he/she applies for a Social Insurance Number?

There is some conflicting information about this.

In the Required Documents section, the Wiki article called Social Insurance Number-Canada states:

Temporary residents need to show their study permit or their temporary work permit and their contract of employment.

On the other hand, Service Canada's website states:

Temporary residents

Work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Study permit issued by CIC and a contract of employment from the learning institution or employer on campus where you obtained authorization to study by CIC (this contract must show the start and end date of employment and these dates must fall within the study permit dates).

Visitor record issued by CIC, indicating you are authorized to work in Canada.

Diplomatic identity card and a note of permission of employment issued by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT).

The Wiki article and Service Canada seem to conflict with each other. As I see it, the Wiki states that a work permit holder needs to present an employment contract. Service Canada, on the other hand, does not seem to mention that a work permit holder needs to show his/her employment contract.

So, again, my question is: Does a work permit holder need to present his/her employment contract when he/she applies for a Social Insurance Number?

I myself wrote the Wiki article, but unfortunately I've forgotten the source on which I relied at the time.
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Aug 3rd 2008 at 6:12 pm. Reason: Clarification
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:12 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which documents for work permit holder's SIN?

Hi

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
There is a Wiki article called Social Insurance Number-Canada.

In the Required Documents section it states:

Temporary residents need to show their study permit or their temporary work permit and their contract of employment.

On the other hand, Service Canada's website states:

Temporary residents

Work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Study permit issued by CIC and a contract of employment from the learning institution or employer on campus where you obtained authorization to study by CIC (this contract must show the start and end date of employment and these dates must fall within the study permit dates).

Visitor record issued by CIC, indicating you are authorized to work in Canada.

Diplomatic identity card and a note of permission of employment issued by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT).

The Wiki article and Service Canada seem to conflict with each other. As I see it, the Wiki states that a work permit holder needs to present an employment contract. Service Canada, on the other hand, does not seem to mention that a work permit holder needs to show his/her employment contract.

So my question is: Does a work permit holder need to present his/her employment contract when he/she applies for a Social Insurance Number?

I myself wrote the Wiki article, but unfortunately I've forgotten the source on which I relied at the time.
x
1. A student working on campus, would require a copy of the employment contract.
2. There are number of occupations in 186 of the regulations where the person doesn't require a work permit to work, for example clergy, who would be paid, so require a SIN, but no work permit, so require copy of contract.
3. I think that you would be much better off referring people to the Foreign Worker Manual http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...s/fw/fw01e.pdf rather than trying to re-write it.

PMM
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:02 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
1. A student working on campus, would require a copy of the employment contract.
2. There are number of occupations in 186 of the regulations where the person doesn't require a work permit to work, for example clergy, who would be paid, so require a SIN, but no work permit, so require copy of contract.
3. I think that you would be much better off referring people to the Foreign Worker Manual http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...s/fw/fw01e.pdf rather than trying to re-write it.
Many thanks, PMM.
x
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby had to show his TWP before they would issue his SIN
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:42 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Hubby had to show his TWP before they would issue his SIN
Same for us too.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:20 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

I also had to show WP before I could get my SIN.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:28 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We had to show our TWPs (mine 'open') before we got our SIN numbers too. Never had to show employment contract.

Once we got our PR, we were issued with new SIN numbers and both our 16 and 13 year old got their first SIN numbers.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:54 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Thanks, everyone.
x