Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do you want to know how immigrating really is? (Mexican couple)

Do you want to know how immigrating really is? (Mexican couple)

Old Aug 29th 2002, 6:32 pm
Sadman

Default Do you want to know how immigrating really is? (Mexican couple)

Hi everybody,

My wife and I are landed immigrants since last month. We are from Mexico, we are 28,
we both have professional degrees from one of the best universities down there, UIA,
I was an employee of one of the most important idustrial groups, FEMSA, we full-owned
a new car. Our life was not so bad but we heard about Canada and here we are.....
with no job!!!!

Well...we applied for the PRV in July 2001 and by December we were receiving it.
Everything seemed perfect.

The truth is that you have to quit your job, sell your home stuff or keep it in a
warehouse (highly recommended), leave your friends and family and of course save all
the money you can. Once you arrive here (TORONTO) you'll find a place that has a hole
bunch of human resources and employment organizations, business, free!!! newspapers,
free!!! rental magazines, lots of "NOW HIRING" in mall stores, restaurants,
etc........BUT this kind of employers won't hire you because they say you're
OVERQUALIFIED and in the other hand, the companies you want to be part of won't hire
you because you don't have canadian experience, your professional degree is not
valid, or would not be the equivalent.

And what about renting a place....... there are lots, and I mean LOTS of apartment
buildings....BUT, the cheapest ones are terribly old, and you must need to rent it
for at least 1 year. The problem comes if you get a job in the other side of the
city. If you haven't been here, and been to the states you'll find a big difference.
The states is full of town houses complexes, new ones or truely renoveted. I can tell
you this, because my wife lived in Houston in a beautiful and new townhouse. The
owners are constantly renoveting it. And the sad thing is that it's cheaper.

Do you want to know how we're doing it? We are paying 1,320 cdls for a small room
inside a student home including meals. The house is really nice and big.... BUT we
can't look for our own place because we still can't find a job. If you want to live
here you need to start thinking that you'll see 2,000 cdls flying away each month. (2
modest, well educated young people)

Thats our truth here...... it's also true that there's no crime as in Mexico and it's
also true that you won't see so many poor people, but right know we can't see how are
we going to improve that what we had before. Professionaly speaking.

CONCLUSION

We don't know why the canadian government is still giving visas to immigrate
professional people that can not work in their field. They ask for a professions in
demand but there are not.

If someone can help us we'd appreciate it very much

Old Aug 29th 2002, 7:10 pm
Canada O

Default Re: Do you want to know how immigrating really is? (Mexican couple)

Unfortunately most of what you said is true and I have to admit that there is a LUCK
factor involved when new immigrants come to Canada. Right now things are very slow
and most companies are doing cut backs; but even in a good economy you would still
have the same problem of not having Canadian Experience to start working. This is
entirely not your fault and I have been reading in the press for the past few years
about the same subject but nothing changed. Yes, the Canadian government should
re-think its immigration policies and guidelines but at the end of the day it is up
to the Private Sector and the business leaders to adopt a more immigrant-friendly
hiring policies and procedures. Canada is not cheap and what makes it more expensive
than the USA for example is the fact that people get less money for their work and
pay more taxes. You probably know this by now. I guess you too should have done a
more research before you moving from Mexico to Canada.

Good Luck, O Canada

"Sadman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
    > Hi everybody,
    > My wife and I are landed immigrants since last month. We are from Mexico, we are
    > 28, we both have professional degrees from one of the best universities down there,
    > UIA, I was an employee of one of the most important idustrial groups, FEMSA, we
    > full-owned a new car. Our life was not so bad but we heard about Canada and here we
    > are..... with no job!!!!
    > Well...we applied for the PRV in July 2001 and by December we were receiving it.
    > Everything seemed perfect.
    > The truth is that you have to quit your job, sell your home stuff or keep it in a
    > warehouse (highly recommended), leave your friends and family and of course save
    > all the money you can. Once you arrive here (TORONTO) you'll find a place that has
    > a hole bunch of human resources and employment organizations, business, free!!!
    > newspapers, free!!! rental magazines, lots of "NOW HIRING" in mall stores,
    > restaurants, etc........BUT this kind of employers won't hire you because they say
    > you're OVERQUALIFIED and in the other hand, the companies you want to be part of
    > won't hire you because you don't have canadian experience, your professional degree
    > is not valid, or would not be the equivalent.
    > And what about renting a place....... there are lots, and I mean LOTS of apartment
    > buildings....BUT, the cheapest ones are terribly old, and you must need to rent it
    > for at least 1 year. The problem comes if you get a job in the other side of the
    > city. If you haven't been here, and been to the states you'll find a big
    > difference. The states is full of town houses complexes, new ones or truely
    > renoveted. I can tell you this, because my wife lived in Houston in a beautiful and
    > new townhouse. The owners are constantly renoveting it. And the sad thing is that
    > it's cheaper.
    > Do you want to know how we're doing it? We are paying 1,320 cdls for a small room
    > inside a student home including meals. The house is really nice and big.... BUT we
    > can't look for our own place because we still can't find a job. If you want to live
    > here you need to start thinking that you'll see 2,000 cdls flying away each month.
    > (2 modest, well educated young people)
    > Thats our truth here...... it's also true that there's no crime as in Mexico and
    > it's also true that you won't see so many poor people, but right know we can't see
    > how are we going to improve that what we had before. Professionaly speaking.
    > CONCLUSION
    > We don't know why the canadian government is still giving visas to immigrate
    > professional people that can not work in their field. They ask for a professions in
    > demand but there are not.
    > If someone can help us we'd appreciate it very much

Old Aug 29th 2002, 9:11 pm
Greg Del Pilar

Hi Sadman!

I totally understand your position, and I agree in many of your points. However, you
said you've been here only for a month. That's not enough time to completely give up
(or lose faith) on the Canadian job market. In my opinion, many new immigrants should
expect (and be prepared) to be looking for their first job in Canada for at least the
first six months. That's why we're all required to bring in "sufficient funds" as
part of the application requirements for Canadian PR.

Have you tried sending your resume (and a good cover letter!) to just about every
company you can see listed in the phone book in your area? As a desperate measure, I
would consider sending 100 to 200 application letters each month to companies that
are in your "target" industries. While this may be nothing more than throwing darts
in the dark, it might surprise you with some good leads. If your resume is really
good, I think there will be some companies out there who will be willing to give you
a chance regardless of where you came from.

In my opinion, inspite of the current job market situation, Canada is still a very
good alternative for a better future for many (specially those families with kids).

I hope this helped.

Greg

> Hi everybody,
    > My wife and I are landed immigrants since last month. We are from Mexico, we are
    > 28, we both have professional degrees from one of the best universities down there,
    > UIA, I was an employee of one of the most important idustrial groups, FEMSA, we
    > full-owned a new car. Our life was not so bad but we heard about Canada and here we
    > Well...we applied for the PRV in July 2001 and by December we were receiving it.
    > The truth is that you have to quit your job, sell your home stuff or keep it in a
    > warehouse (highly recommended), leave your friends and family and of course save
    > all the money you can. Once you arrive here (TORONTO) you'll find a place that has
    > a hole bunch of human resources and employment organizations, business, free!!!
    > restaurants, etc........BUT this kind of employers won't hire you because they say
    > you're OVERQUALIFIED and in the other hand, the companies you want to be part of
    > won't hire you because you don't have canadian experience, your professional degree
    > And what about renting a place....... there are lots, and I mean LOTS of apartment
    > buildings....BUT, the cheapest ones are terribly old, and you must need to rent it
    > for at least 1 year. The problem comes if you get a job in the other side of the
    > renoveted. I can tell you this, because my wife lived in Houston in a beautiful and
    > new townhouse. The owners are constantly renoveting it. And the sad thing is that
    > it's cheaper.
    > Do you want to know how we're doing it? We are paying 1,320 cdls for a small room
    > inside a student home including meals. The house is really nice and big.... BUT we
    > can't look for our own place because we still can't find a job. If you want to live
    > here you need to start thinking that you'll see 2,000 cdls flying away each month.
    > Thats our truth here...... it's also true that there's no crime as in Mexico and
    > it's also true that you won't see so many poor people, but right know we can't see
    > CONCLUSION
    > professional people that can not work in their field. They ask for a professions in

Old Aug 30th 2002, 12:16 am
The Wizzard

definately agree about the time frame for looking for jobs. Even my housemate here
in the UK who graduated with a good computer science degree from a top resbrick UK
university spent a few months even to find a job to tide him over and nearly a year
before he found a decent one to make a career out of and that was herein the UK with
nothing to do with immigration etc, so if its that hard for an IT person to find a
job in their home country with a very well recognised degree it is gonna take a
little bit more to find it in what is in truth still a foreign country until you
have settled in. i think the main problem can be finding even something to keep
yougoing till youc an work your way into teh professional job market, as you say
people think youa re over qualified. it may pay to play down yoru education on a
seperate resume thats more skills based to use to apply for geenral work to keep you
going. a tim hortons manager doesnt want to see bachelors degree in physics or PhD
in bio molecular chemistry if he is hiring staff, they jstu want someone who looks
responsioble enoguh to handle thei rmoney, friendly enough to serve customers and
with enough intelligence to make coffee and hand out the right change. Yes its a
crap job and yes its way below what you may be qualified in, but money is money and
a job is a job and its a Canadian job and so Canadian experience (in a way) and
better than nothing.

Old Aug 30th 2002, 12:47 am
Chris

Ola amigo zapatista (just kiddin'), take it easy, don't get too stressed out. It's
just your first month in Canada. Be patient and things will get better. You still
have molto dinero in your pockets, right? But something else I'd like to ask you. Was
it you driving a car with Mexican plates (Guadalajara if I'm not wrong), about 7-10
days ago, in Scarborough, on Eglinton Ave E, eastbound, just before Warden Ave?
Because every driver was looking at the car (yes, a new one, but nobody has seen that
maker/model in Canada) and to the family inside the vehicle, and everybody was just
smiling, that's the second vehicle with Mexican plates I personally have seen in 10
years in Toronto! But not just that, on Eglinton the speed limit is 60 kph, but many
drivers, including me, are doing 70-80 kph. That car with Mexican plates was doing 40
kph in the middle lane!!! You were lucky that no police cruiser was behind you, 42
Division is just by Birchmount, because they could have pulled you over for
unnecessary slow driving, and if charged you would get two demerit points in your
record. Moreover, that particular car you cannot buy it anywhere in Canada or US,
maybe in Europe, so I wonder who is going to be able to service it when that time
will come. And what about parts? And to sell it, who is going to buy it when you
cannot find it on the Canadian market? If it was you, try to drive faster, and if you
can't, at least stay in the right lane, or drive when the traffic is lighter. And do
not try, yet, any of the freeways, people are doing 130 kph and over! And what's UIA,
what's FEMSA? Most of the people down here, and those in charge with hiring are
ordinary people as well, know about Mexico that is the land of Tortilla, TacoBell (I
just loved that funny commercial 'Yo quiero taco bell!'), spicy food, beautiful women
and life on a remote resort. Best of luck in your new life in Canada. Adios. Chris

> Hi everybody,
    > it's cheaper.
    > CONCLUSION

Old Aug 30th 2002, 7:50 am
Bodza Bodza

[email protected] (Sadman) wrote:

Mira, lo que tienes que hacer es sobrevivir. Esto quiere decir que tengas que olvidar
las reglas que usabas antes dia por dia. En el primer lugar no hay por que poner en
tu resumen todos tus datos. Olvida de poner algunos, o sea, no tengas licenciatura,
me entiendes? No mas pongas lo minimo necesario y no pongas tu fecha de nacimiento
tampoco. Otra cosa: No hay porque no puedes encontrar trabajo como vendedor por
comision no mas. Hay miles de trabajos asi.

> If you want to live here you need to start thinking that you'll see 2,000 cdls
    > flying away each month. (2 modest, well educated young people)

Esto si es la problema, pero Canada no es los Estados Unidos. Parece, pero no lo es.

La economia va a mejorar. Pero desafortunadamente llegaste durante un recesion
economica.

> CONCLUSION
    > professional people that can not work in their field.

Yo si se. Es como cualquier otra cosa en Canada. Quieren tu dinero. Cuanto cuesta un
visado? $1500/persona. Luego llevas como $10,000 o tal vez mas. Si hay 200,000
inmigrantes cada ano, que les importa cuantos de ellos tienen que regresar a sus
paises natales despues de haberlos gastado los ahorros? Ya entiendes?

Old Aug 30th 2002, 2:44 pm
Sadman

[email protected] (Bodza Bodza) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > [email protected] (Sadman) wrote:
    > > The truth is that you have to quit your job, sell your home stuff or keep it in a
    > > warehouse (highly recommended), leave your friends and family and of course save
    > > all the money you can. Once you arrive here (TORONTO) you'll find a place that
    > > has a hole bunch of human resources and employment organizations, business,
    > > free!!! newspapers, free!!! rental magazines, lots of "NOW HIRING" in mall
    > > stores, restaurants, etc........BUT this kind of employers won't hire you
    > > because they say you're OVERQUALIFIED and in the other hand, the companies you
    > > want to be part of won't hire you because you don't have canadian experience,
    > > your professional degree is not valid, or would not be the equivalent.
    > Mira, lo que tienes que hacer es sobrevivir. Esto quiere decir que tengas que
    > olvidar las reglas que usabas antes dia por dia. En el primer lugar no hay por que
    > poner en tu resumen todos tus datos. Olvida de poner algunos, o sea, no tengas
    > licenciatura, me entiendes? No mas pongas lo minimo necesario y no pongas tu fecha
    > de nacimiento tampoco. Otra cosa: No hay porque no puedes encontrar trabajo como
    > vendedor por comision no mas. Hay miles de trabajos asi.
    > > If you want to live here you need to start thinking that you'll see 2,000 cdls
    > > flying away each month. (2 modest, well educated young people)
    > Esto si es la problema, pero Canada no es los Estados Unidos. Parece, pero
    > no lo es.
    > > Thats our truth here...... it's also true that there's no crime as in Mexico and
    > > it's also true that you won't see so many poor people, but right know we can't
    > > see how are we going to improve that what we had before. Professionaly speaking.
    > La economia va a mejorar. Pero desafortunadamente llegaste durante un recesion
    > economica.
    > > CONCLUSION
    > >
    > > We don't know why the canadian government is still giving visas to immigrate
    > > professional people that can not work in their field.
    > Yo si se. Es como cualquier otra cosa en Canada. Quieren tu dinero. Cuanto cuesta
    > un visado? $1500/persona. Luego llevas como $10,000 o tal vez mas. Si hay 200,000
    > inmigrantes cada ano, que les importa cuantos de ellos tienen que regresar a sus
    > paises natales despues de haberlos gastado los ahorros? Ya entiendes?

Thanks everybody for your advise, we'll be more patient and wise.

For Chris: I wasn't the one driving too slow, I don't even have a car....I WISH TO.
My new car was down in Mexico, not here. Actually I'm a very good driver.

And COME ON!!!!!! please don't think in Mexico when you think in Taco Bell.
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN COMMON. You would die of happiness if you'd try real mexican
food, not TEXMEX.

Know something......YESTERDAY MY WIFE GOT A JOB AT LOWBLAS!!!!, so maybe things are
getting better.

Thanks for your advise.

Old Aug 30th 2002, 2:50 pm
Canada O

Good for you and congrats for your wife on her new job.

> [email protected] (Bodza Bodza) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > [email protected] (Sadman) wrote:
    > >
    > > > The truth is that you have to quit your job, sell your home stuff or keep it in
    > > > a warehouse (highly recommended), leave your friends and family and of course
    > > > save all the money you can. Once you arrive here (TORONTO) you'll find a place
    > > > that has a hole bunch of human resources and employment organizations,
    > > > business, free!!! newspapers, free!!! rental magazines, lots of "NOW HIRING" in
    > > > mall stores, restaurants, etc........BUT this kind of employers won't hire you
    > > > because they say you're OVERQUALIFIED and in the other hand, the companies you
    > > > want to be part of won't hire you because you don't have canadian experience,
    > > > your professional degree is not valid, or would not be the equivalent.
    > >
    > > Mira, lo que tienes que hacer es sobrevivir. Esto quiere decir que tengas que
    > > olvidar las reglas que usabas antes dia por dia. En el primer lugar no hay por
    > > que poner en tu resumen todos tus datos. Olvida de poner algunos, o sea, no
    > > tengas licenciatura, me entiendes? No mas pongas lo minimo necesario y no pongas
    > > tu fecha de nacimiento tampoco. Otra cosa: No hay porque no puedes encontrar
    > > trabajo como vendedor por comision no mas. Hay miles de trabajos asi.
    > >
    > > > If you want to live here you need to start thinking that you'll see 2,000 cdls
    > > > flying away each month. (2 modest, well educated young people)
    > >
    > > Esto si es la problema, pero Canada no es los Estados Unidos. Parece, pero no
    > > lo es.
    > >
    > > > Thats our truth here...... it's also true that there's no crime as in Mexico
    > > > and it's also true that you won't see so many poor people, but right know we
    > > > can't see how are we going to improve that what we had before. Professionaly
    > > > speaking.
    > >
    > > La economia va a mejorar. Pero desafortunadamente llegaste durante un recesion
    > > economica.
    > >
    > > > CONCLUSION
    > > >
    > > > We don't know why the canadian government is still giving visas to immigrate
    > > > professional people that can not work in their field.
    > >
    > > Yo si se. Es como cualquier otra cosa en Canada. Quieren tu dinero. Cuanto cuesta
    > > un visado? $1500/persona. Luego llevas como $10,000 o tal vez mas. Si hay 200,000
    > > inmigrantes cada ano, que les importa cuantos de ellos tienen que regresar a sus
    > > paises natales despues de haberlos gastado los ahorros? Ya entiendes?
    > Thanks everybody for your advise, we'll be more patient and wise.
    > For Chris: I wasn't the one driving too slow, I don't even have a car....I WISH TO.
    > My new car was down in Mexico, not here. Actually I'm a very good driver.
    > And COME ON!!!!!! please don't think in Mexico when you think in Taco Bell.
    > ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN COMMON. You would die of happiness if you'd try real
    > mexican food, not TEXMEX.
    > Know something......YESTERDAY MY WIFE GOT A JOB AT LOWBLAS!!!!, so maybe things are
    > getting better.
    > Thanks for your advise.

Old Aug 30th 2002, 3:05 pm
Vp

Bodza Bodza wrote:

> [email protected] (Sadman) wrote:
    > > The truth is that you have to quit your job, sell your home stuff or keep it in a
    > > warehouse (highly recommended), leave your friends and family and of course save
    > > all the money you can. Once you arrive here (TORONTO) you'll find a place that
    > > because they say you're OVERQUALIFIED and in the other hand, the companies you
    > > want to be part of won't hire you because you don't have canadian experience,
    > Mira, lo que tienes que hacer es sobrevivir. Esto quiere decir que tengas que
    > olvidar las reglas que usabas antes dia por dia. En el primer lugar no hay por que
    > poner en tu resumen todos tus datos. Olvida de poner algunos, o sea, no tengas
    > licenciatura, me entiendes? No mas pongas lo minimo necesario y no pongas tu fecha
    > de nacimiento tampoco. Otra cosa: No hay porque no puedes encontrar trabajo como
    > vendedor por comision no mas. Hay miles de trabajos asi.
    > > If you want to live here you need to start thinking that you'll see 2,000 cdls
    > > flying away each month. (2 modest, well educated young people)
    > Esto si es la problema, pero Canada no es los Estados Unidos. Parece, pero
    > no lo es.
    > > Thats our truth here...... it's also true that there's no crime as in Mexico and
    > > it's also true that you won't see so many poor people, but right know we can't
    > > see how are we going to improve that what we had before. Professionaly speaking.
    > La economia va a mejorar. Pero desafortunadamente llegaste durante un recesion
    > economica.

Really? I don't think so. At least not technically. The politicians in Ottawa keep
on boasting about "how robust the Canadian economy is" and blah blah blah...

Actually, you can read the top story in today's Globe and Mail:

Canada's stunning growth continues http://www.globeandmail.c-
a/servlet/ArticleNews/front/RTGAM/20020830/wbgdpp/Front/homeBN/breakingnews

I was in the West Coast last February, and the best job I could get was a $15/hour
entry-level shitty job.

I decided to return to Europe. Tough change for a well-paid consultant in Europe.

Simply put, Canada can not compete with the US regarding employment prospects. The
jobmarket is very tiny compared with the large IT American market in California and
elsewhere. I wouldn't recommend any IT person to come over only to find himself
unemployed competing with thousands of laid-off workers from Nortel et al.

I still think Canada is a better place than the US. Nevertheless, migration is a bad
idea as long as the recession goes on.

VP

Old Aug 30th 2002, 3:16 pm
Scott

> Really? I don't think so. At least not technically. The politicians in Ottawa keep
    > on boasting about "how robust the Canadian economy is" and
blah
    > blah blah...
    > Actually, you can read the top story in today's Globe and Mail:
    > Canada's stunning growth continues
-
http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/front/RTGAM/20020830/wbgdpp/F

ront/homeBN/breakingnews
    > I was in the West Coast last February, and the best job I could get was a $15/hour
    > entry-level shitty job.
    > I decided to return to Europe. Tough change for a well-paid consultant in Europe.
    > Simply put, Canada can not compete with the US regarding employment prospects. The
    > jobmarket is very tiny compared with the large IT American market in California and
    > elsewhere. I wouldn't recommend any IT person to come over only to find himself
    > unemployed competing with thousands of laid-off workers from Nortel et al.
    > I still think Canada is a better place than the US. Nevertheless,
migration
    > is a bad idea as long as the recession goes on.
    > VP

Wow...strong words VP...making me re-evaluate my position consider my wife and I
are BOTH in the IT field. What was your area of expertise in IT if I may ask ?
Regards Scott

Old Aug 30th 2002, 11:09 pm
Vp

scott wrote:

> Wow...strong words VP...making me re-evaluate my position consider my wife and I
    > are BOTH in the IT field. What was your area of expertise in IT if I may ask ?

I'm in telecom / electronics, which is pretty much dead right now after the butchery
in Nortel (2/3 of the staff fired) and others. But as for the comments coming from
IT people, it's even worse in some fields such as java programming and the like.
Maybe your chances are higher if you're in SAP/Oracle stuff.

Take a quick look at the following ngs and decide for yourself:

ott.jobs tor.jobs ont.jobs can.jobs bc.jobs ab.jobs

Eventually, the IT sector is going to pick up anytime in the future. IMHO, not
before late 2003. That's why my advice is to stay in your country next year, and
then apply for immigration.

Of course, everything depends on how lucky you are. I've got a friend who landed a
75K job in IT only three weeks after landing. He was no real guru but only a 2-year
experience graduate. But he met his current boss socializing in a party. That
happened in 2000. I wouldn't say now it's impossible, but the chances are very slim.
Actually, your chances to be in the same situation than the OP are rather high. Too
many clever people out of job and too much competence.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Regards,

VP

Old Aug 30th 2002, 11:15 pm
Jason Brown

> I was in the West Coast last February, and the best job I could get was a $15/hour
    > entry-level shitty job.
where is this?? what job is it?? Better than my $10 job...

By the way, your comments are not welcome by the immigration lawyers (do these guys
have a life??).

It adversly affects their lies and bs....

Old Aug 31st 2002, 2:42 am
Dajino

I totally agree with you. Sending resumes, lots and lots of them, is about the only
way to get a decent job not only for immigrants but for people here in Canada as well
(although with the stage system, it might be easier for some). I am Canadian and so
was my ex-husband. When he got out of university some 13 years ago, he was over 30
years old (he worked in another field for many years before). For 4 months, he sent
his resume everywhere he could think of, not only jobs offered on the market but he
took chances at any company, bank, etc. he could think of. At the time, he had
graduated from a university in Montreal in computer science. Computer jobs were just
starting to bloom. He found his first job at a much lower income we had expected
after many months of searching. He kept that job for 1 year just to show experience
in his field and then he started the resume process again. After a few months (not
days, not weeks but months), he got a few interviews and was finally hired by a major
bank downtown Montreal. He is still there working after all those years.

People have to be patient. I understand for immigrants the difficulty in finding
jobs but I think people come here with the false presumption they can get a job with
the snap of the fingers. Even for us Canadians getting a good job is sometimes quite
an experience, especially without too much experience. In the meantime, we work in
stores, markets, anything to pay the rent at any age. So should do any
Canadian-to-be...

My opinion only. "Greg Del Pilar" <[email protected]> wrote in message [url-
="news:[email protected] w.ca"]news:46wb9.229883$f05.127084-
[email protected][/url]...
    > Hi Sadman!
    > I totally understand your position, and I agree in many of your points. However,
    > you said you've been here only for a month. That's not enough
time
    > to completely give up (or lose faith) on the Canadian job market. In my opinion,
    > many new immigrants should expect (and be prepared) to be looking for their first
    > job in Canada for at least the first six months. That's
why
    > we're all required to bring in "sufficient funds" as part of the
application
    > requirements for Canadian PR.
    > Have you tried sending your resume (and a good cover letter!) to just
about
    > every company you can see listed in the phone book in your area? As a desperate
    > measure, I would consider sending 100 to 200 application letters each month to
    > companies that are in your "target" industries. While this
may
    > be nothing more than throwing darts in the dark, it might surprise you
with
    > some good leads. If your resume is really good, I think there will be some
    > companies out there who will be willing to give you a chance regardless of where
    > you came from.
    > In my opinion, inspite of the current job market situation, Canada is
still
    > a very good alternative for a better future for many (specially those families
    > with kids).
    > I hope this helped.
    > Greg
    > "Sadman" <[email protected]> wrote in message [url="news:ed6929c5.0208291032.2f-[/q1]
[q1]> [email protected]"]news:[email protected] om[-

> /url]...
    > > Hi everybody,
    > >
    > > My wife and I are landed immigrants since last month. We are from Mexico, we are
    > > 28, we both have professional degrees from one of the best universities down
    > > there, UIA, I was an employee of one of the most important idustrial groups,
    > > FEMSA, we full-owned a new car. Our life was not so bad but we heard about Canada
    > > and here we are..... with no job!!!!
    > >
    > > Well...we applied for the PRV in July 2001 and by December we were receiving it.
    > > Everything seemed perfect.
    > >
    > >
    > > And what about renting a place....... there are lots, and I mean LOTS of
    > > apartment buildings....BUT, the cheapest ones are terribly old, and you must need
    > > to rent it for at least 1 year. The problem comes if you get a job in the other
    > > side of the city. If you haven't been here, and been to the states you'll find a
    > > big difference. The states is full of town houses complexes, new ones or truely
    > > renoveted. I can tell you this, because my wife lived in Houston in a beautiful
    > > and new townhouse. The owners are constantly renoveting it. And the sad thing is
    > > that it's cheaper.
    > >
    > > Do you want to know how we're doing it? We are paying 1,320 cdls for a small room
    > > inside a student home including meals. The house is really nice and big.... BUT
    > > we can't look for our own place because we still can't find a job. If you want to
    > > live here you need to start thinking that you'll see 2,000 cdls flying away each
    > > month. (2 modest, well educated young people)
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > CONCLUSION
    > >
    > > We don't know why the canadian government is still giving visas to immigrate
    > > professional people that can not work in their field. They ask for a professions
    > > in demand but there are not.
    > >
    > > If someone can help us we'd appreciate it very much

Old Aug 31st 2002, 3:49 am
imolinar

De acuerdo con todo lo que dicen, pero ponganse a pensar que si alguien les hubiera dicho esto ustedes depronto no lo hubieran creido y hubieran emigrado de todos modos. El gobierno canadiense solo quiere el dinero y gente que venga y gaste plata NADA MAS!.
La otra vez entre a mequiero.com y di mi opinino parecida a la tuya, y que me gane que todo el mundo me insultara, nadie creia, asi que muchos vienen de ingenuos y luego se arrepienten poruqe no escuchan. Depronto ve a mequiero.com y dales una idea de tu experiencia

Old Aug 31st 2002, 1:34 pm
Greg Del Pilar

Very well said ------ Thank you!

Greg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.