Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do you get any points for having NVQ's in a trade???

Do you get any points for having NVQ's in a trade???

Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

blaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant future
Default Do you get any points for having NVQ's in a trade???

Hi just a question trying to work out how many points my oh can get, do you get points in the education for having NVQ's in a trade that is on the list of 38. Not sure how to work out how many points he can get, any advice please???
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you get any points for having NVQ's in a trade???

Originally Posted by blaise
Hi just a question trying to work out how many points my oh can get, do you get points in the education for having NVQ's in a trade that is on the list of 38. Not sure how to work out how many points he can get, any advice please???
Yes, an NVQ counts as a diploma for points purposes (and any NVQ, not just those that are related to the list of 38 occupations in demand).

But his total points will depend on his other education i.e. how many years schooling. And how many years full-time study was the NVQ?

Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

blaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant future

Thanks for the reply my oh has got 2 nvq's but he has not studied in college for them he has got them while working in his trade, so how many points would he get for them??? I have a nvq also I have also got mine while in my current job, mine did actually take 18 months to finish though, could I get points for that? Sorry about all the questions but alittle confused.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

groan, I feel your pain, see my thread re NVQs also. It is a little bit of a grey area on this I think. I am under the impression that we could be OK on the NVQs but maybe not for "years of education"!!!

Good luck anyway.

Mel.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Just replied to your thread, it is abit of a nightmare really on how to score them isnt it? My nvq did actually take me 18 months though so wher would I stand with that, oh did take about a year for the one and then for the other probably the same. The industry he is in you have to retake the nvq's every so many years aswell, as he has just retaken one after I think it is 5 years, so again how do you score the points for that????
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by blaise
Just replied to your thread, it is abit of a nightmare really on how to score them isnt it? My nvq did actually take me 18 months though so wher would I stand with that, oh did take about a year for the one and then for the other probably the same. The industry he is in you have to retake the nvq's every so many years aswell, as he has just retaken one after I think it is 5 years, so again how do you score the points for that????
just rechecked the CIC website and it definitely says one year diploma AND at least 13 years education or two year diploma AND at least 14 years education. I don't know - I wonder if anyone out there has had their points accepted by work based NVQ's

Good luck either way.

Mel
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply strawberry it is all abit confusing maybe someone can answer the question about nvq's for us, well work based nvq's how many points you can claim for them???? Good luck to you too